Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times

Advertisements

Mouldy, thank you for your extremely informative reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I remember going to the Jackson Mall back in the mid 1970s. I think it was built in 1969. Unfortunately, its heyday was brief and came to an end when the MetroCenter opened in 1978-9. I think white flight caused the premature decline of both of these malls.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
No it was black crime that caused the "white flight", as far as metro center closing, the merchants are unable to make profits when the merchandise is being stolen and the continued auto break ins by the local black crack heads. But I'm sure you would blame the whites for that too.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyall View Post
No it was black crime that caused the "white flight", as far as metro center closing, the merchants are unable to make profits when the merchandise is being stolen and the continued auto break ins by the local black crack heads. But I'm sure you would blame the whites for that too.

I would argue that shifting demographics as well as the opening of competition in the suburbs contributed to Metrocenter's demise. If Metrocenter was the only real game in town like it probably was in the late 70s, then it would likely be doing okay right now. However, rather than competing with just the mall that is now the Jackson Medical Mall, it now competes with Renaissance, Northpark Mall, Dogwood Festival and the Outlets of Mississippi in Pearl. That is way more competition than it ever had in the 70s or 80s and it realistically will not survive against them.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 AM

I decided to compare Jackson and Memphis from a demographic perspective. According to the 2010 census, 79.4 percent of Jackson is African American and 18.4 percent of the city is white. In Memphis, 63.3 percent of the city is African American and 29.39 percent of the city is white, according to the 2010 census. Still, a huge gap but not quite as big as Jackson's gap. I wasn't born until the 1980s, so I wasn't around to observe it. Was there anything in particular that made the flight to the suburbs worse in Jackson?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:07 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times
The difference compared to Memphis is only because Memphis continued to annex areas in the county that had grown as families moved to the county for the well-regarded county schools. Some of those areas (e.g. Cordova) have had their schools go down since being annexed by Memphis, yet... probably due to location (between two nice suburbs Germantown and Bartlett)... it has remained a fairly safe, middle class area. In comparison Jackson was not able to annex into Rankin and Madison Counties where families and moved for safer schools and neighborhoods. All that to say, there was really no difference between Jackson and Memphis' families moving to other school districts for safer government schools.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
The difference compared to Memphis is only because Memphis continued to annex areas in the county that had grown as families moved to the county for the well-regarded county schools. Some of those areas (e.g. Cordova) have had their schools go down since being annexed by Memphis, yet... probably due to location (between two nice suburbs Germantown and Bartlett)... it has remained a fairly safe, middle class area. In comparison Jackson was not able to annex into Rankin and Madison Counties where families and moved for safer schools and neighborhoods. All that to say, there was really no difference between Jackson and Memphis' families moving to other school districts for safer government schools.
I had thought that might be true. I knew that Memphis had been aggressive in annexing, as I believe it annexed Cordova in the 90s and Hickory Hill in the early 2000s and I imagine that helped prop up the overall population numbers and the demographics. Jackson is basically landlocked at this point, outside of having some additional area to work with up on highway 49 north.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,357 times
Gangs are becoming a major problem in Jackson along with many other places in Mississippi. Most mayors elected to turn a blind eye to the problem like Clarksdale mayor.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Why are we comparing Jackson to Memphis?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM

772 posts, read 999,915 times
Why is a 3 year old thread being revived?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson