Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Justice is not a real person. And who are the rest of those persons?
Vandelay is I believe a character invented by George Constanza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Vandelay is I believe a character invented by George Constanza
Either way, I don't find it a good idea to name a reservoir after fake characters.

There are plenty of Mississippians to name the reservoir after. Why name it after a hard-core segregationist who basically sympathized with a bigoted murderer?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times
Quote:
There are plenty of Mississippians to name the reservoir after. Why name it after a hard-core segregationist who basically sympathized with a bigoted murderer?
Because he was Governor of Mississippi at the time and he oversaw the construction of the reservoir.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Because he was Governor of Mississippi at the time and he oversaw the construction of the reservoir.
I still do not see the reason to name that reservoir after someone who basically tried to subjugate much of Mississippi's population, and sided with a murderer.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I still do not see the reason to name that reservoir after someone who basically tried to subjugate much of Mississippi's population, and sided with a murderer.
Well, like I've said before, at the time of the reservoir's construction, the things Governor Barnett were deemed right and just in the eyes of 1960s Jackson, Mississippi.

Obviously if the reservoir had been built today, it would not have been named after Ross Barnett.

Oh and Byron De La Beckwith murdered Medgar Evers, not James Meredith.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Well, like I've said before, at the time of the reservoir's construction, the things Governor Barnett were deemed right and just in the eyes of 1960s Jackson, Mississippi.

Obviously if the reservoir had been built today, it would not have been named after Ross Barnett.

Oh and Byron De La Beckwith murdered Medgar Evers, not James Meredith.
Okay, I got the names mixed up. Still, anyone who would side with De La Beckwith, and be an ardent bigoted segregationist to the core, I don't see a reason to name anything after him. It doesn't matter to me that he oversaw the building of that reservoir. That's how I see it. If I had been living in Mississippi in 1960, what good would he have been to me?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Okay, I got the names mixed up. Still, anyone who would side with De La Beckwith, and be an ardent bigoted segregationist to the core, I don't see a reason to name anything after him. It doesn't matter to me that he oversaw the building of that reservoir. That's how I see it. If I had been living in Mississippi in 1960, what good would he have been to me?
In 1960 Mississippi, most White people in the state supported Barnett. Obviously African-Americans didn't, but he was seen as one of the greatest Governors of Mississippi at that time because what he was doing.

Again, it goes to what I was saying about the things he did being socially acceptable back then, as to today where if you had someone like Ross Barnett today, the guy wouldn't be Governor for long and he would be looked down upon for these things.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
In 1960 Mississippi, most White people in the state supported Barnett. Obviously African-Americans didn't, but he was seen as one of the greatest Governors of Mississippi at that time because what he was doing.

Again, it goes to what I was saying about the things he did being socially acceptable back then, as to today where if you had someone like Ross Barnett today, the guy wouldn't be Governor for long and he would be looked down upon for these things.
I look at it like this. It does not matter to me if it was "socially acceptable" back then. Right is right and wrong and wrong. That is how I see it. What he did was wrong back then and it's wrong now.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
I look at it like this. It does not matter to me if it was "socially acceptable" back then. Right is right and wrong and wrong. That is how I see it. What he did was wrong back then and it's wrong now.
Some times history is not pleasant, but its still history.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 AM

49 posts, read 88,058 times
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm a little sick and tired of so many things in this country being named after politicians, like they are somebody special. We have more than enough things all over this country named after politicians. Cities, states, streets, schools, airports, parks, we build monuments and statues and carve out their faces on the sides of mountains. one would think that we Americans worship politicians.

Who was Ross Barnett but another politician who pandered to his constituency. If you're gonna change the name of that reservoir, change it to somebody who isn't so divisive and polarizing and controversial. Maybe after muscian or blues person or an artist or an author from Mississippi or from Jackson, somebody that everybody can be proud of, or at least, ok with.

Not everything has to be named after a politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson