Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:11 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
And the commenters used this as "bash Jackson" moment, rather than being happy such a proposal is being made for Gluckstadt.
Of course they are! Those commenters on Jackson Jambalaya can be a tough crowd. I mean, my thing has always been that the Jackson metro area has always been underdeveloped, if you will. In every other city, all of the suburbs leading up to the capitol city are very well developed and it's like the big city all wrapped into one! And the problem that has been persistent in the metro area for years, is that Jackson is the capitol city, the center of activity and commerce. But as soon as you get out of Jackson, for years it had been woods & country and very little development happening.

Only recently has the Jackson metro area begin to look like every other metro area in the country! Every city around the capitol city is becoming pretty well developed. Sooner or later, I-55 through Gluckstadt will be getting the 8-lane treatment as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 PM

Someone did make a valid point on there though! What are people gonna do when "undesirables" start moving to Gluckstadt? I mean, people in Madison County already consider Canton, a town of "undesirables", so what are they gonna do when White flight hits Canton? The question that has been on my mind for awhile now.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
Wow, I've heard gas station, movie theatre and boutique hotel. That could go a lot of different ways. If they were required to design it like say, the Town of Livingston off Hwy 463 then yes, maybe that would be an improvement potentially. It could be Gluckstadt's version of Fondren, etc.

But that would take some expert planning, otherwise it will be County Line Rd. One would think the power and money up that way would be at Lake Caroline and even Reunion which isn't far either. The time is now for those neighborhood associations to lean hard on the county commissioners to get this right before it's too late.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:10 PM

I've heard a lot of people bring up County Line Road in the Gluckstadt discussions, and honestly what is wrong with County Line? Yeah it's congested and crowded, but it's also a hub of activity & commerce of a diverse demographic. Usually big cities have corridors like County Line Road.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Someone did make a valid point on there though! What are people gonna do when "undesirables" start moving to Gluckstadt? I mean, people in Madison County already consider Canton, a town of "undesirables", so what are they gonna do when White flight hits Canton? The question that has been on my mind for awhile now.
Move to Flora. Lots of open land in the area. Maybe cheaper, too.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Move to Flora. Lots of open land in the area. Maybe cheaper, too.
Well actually it's already happening! Andover on Highway 22 is fairly new, and very upscale! Albeit there being less out that way then there is in the Gluckstadt area! I guess then places like Tri-County Academy, Benton, Academy, & Manchester Academy would become overcrowded then as well! Or HEY, maybe if Flora's demographic switches to majorly White, they can actually get a high school built IN Flora!

... I'm being totally sarcastic by the way, GEF.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times
Whites were the majority in Flora until 2010.

Flora was in the running for some kind of research laboratory, but it was eventually rewarded to Kansas. Had Flora been chosen, it would've been the next metro boomtown.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
The next direction will be West, not north. From Madison city over to hwy 49.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The next direction will be West, not north. From Madison city over to hwy 49.
Yeah until urban sprawl is EVERYWHERE, and there is no more green land. I guess that's what people want! A piece of advice everyone could learn from residents of Fondren & Belhaven, quit running from the problem, stand your ground, & fix the problem.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Yeah until urban sprawl is EVERYWHERE, and there is no more green land. I guess that's what people want! A piece of advice everyone could learn from residents of Fondren & Belhaven, quit running from the problem, stand your ground, & fix the problem.
Why? Why should a person be a crusader?

There is nothing wrong with looking at a situation and saying 'nope, not for me" and then gong were it is right for you.

Nobody owes a part of town something. No one has an obligation to fix an area. No one is wrong for moving to an area that is better for them and their family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson