Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 PM

772 posts, read 999,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
You really dont understand statistics.

Jackson is on of the most violent cities in America.

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

These are local news outlets.

Jackson in top 10 most dangerous U.S. cities - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

News | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com
I've seen the reports guy! You aren't showing me anything new! Again, there are plenty of Jacksonians that will take their chances, but thanks again for keeping us informed! Now can we get back to the topic at hand, please, just once can we not have a pointless fight at the expense of another poster?! Thanks. So now, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I've seen the reports guy! You aren't showing me anything new! Again, there are plenty of Jacksonians that will take their chances, but thanks again for keeping us informed! Now can we get back to the topic at hand, please, just once can we not have a pointless fight at the expense of another poster?! Thanks. So now, anyway.
If I was moving to the area, I wouldnt think such facts were pointless.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
If I was moving to the area, I wouldnt think such facts were pointless.
I didn't say the facts were pointless guy, I said this ongoing city vs. suburbs fight is pointless. Sure the facts are important for anybody coming in! The poster can look at them and decide for themselves if they want to live in Jackson, or go live in the suburbs. You are absolutely right, that the facts are indeed important!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 PM

168 posts, read 192,034 times
Quote:
Ignorance. Jackson is obviously MUCH bigger than Madison, so naturally there is gonna be more crime in Jackson, than in Madison. I'm not denying that little fact sir! So once again, Jackson is a city, Madison is more like a town, and there is MORE people living in Jackson, then ALL of Madison! Again, no of us Jacksonians/pro-Jackson people ever said that crime was lower in Jackson than that of the suburbs. The suburbs are smaller than the city, so naturally they are the ones with less crime.
If you lack intelligence sometimes the best choice is just to keep your mouth shut because you obviously have no idea how statistics/numbers/crime ratings work.

Crime ratings are given as (x per 100,000) which means that a city with 10 incidents and a population of 100,000 would be given a 10 for a crime rating. A city with 10 incidents and a population of 25,000 would be given a 40 for a crime rating. Now that you have a BASIC understanding of statistics, here's a picture for you.

And I know, I know. Some of us are "big and bad" and are going to take our chances and claim they won't be a victim. Sometimes I love to remind myself how great it feels to live life as a responsible adult and not one that spends their time trying to out tough the next guy.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
If you lack intelligence sometimes the best choice is just to keep your mouth shut because you obviously have no idea how statistics/numbers/crime ratings work.

Crime ratings are given as (x per 100,000) which means that a city with 10 incidents and a population of 100,000 would be given a 10 for a crime rating. A city with 10 incidents and a population of 25,000 would be given a 40 for a crime rating. Now that you have a BASIC understanding of statistics, here's a picture for you.

And I know, I know. Some of us are "big and bad" and are going to take our chances and claim they won't be a victim. Sometimes I love to remind myself how great it feels to live life as a responsible adult and not one that spends their time trying to out tough the next guy.
Notice how Jackson's population is also much larger than the surrounding communities. Geez, you guys need to travel to other cities, and you'll see the same thing. Quit thinking that Jackson is supposed to in someway resemble Madison, because it's not. Remember Jackson came before Madison, therefore Madison looks up to Jackson! There wouldn't be a Madison had it not been for Jackson.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Notice how Jackson's population is also much larger than the surrounding communities. Geez, you guys need to travel to other cities, and you'll see the same thing. Quit thinking that Jackson is supposed to in someway resemble Madison, because it's not. Remember Jackson came before Madison, therefore Madison looks up to Jackson! There wouldn't be a Madison had it not been for Jackson.
Oh. So you still don't get it. I guess that should not come as a surprise.

Austin, TX has a population of 885,400 (5x) and a rating of 366.3.
Seattle, WA has a population of 652,405 (3.7x) and a rating of 402.2.
Boise, ID has a population of 214,237 (1.2x) and a rating of 195.3.
Madison, WI has a population of 243,344 (1.4x) and a rating of 263.5.

What makes these cities not only larger than Jackson, but much safer than Jackson?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,808 times
Quote:
Madison looks up to Jackson?
lol

Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,724 times
Two areas where there is much chicanery involved are school rankings AND crime reporting.

Read the recent story of the elementary school in Clarksdale that went from failing to excellent in one year, turns out they got busted for cheating.

Cheating also happens in crime reporting, I know people in Jxn who have experienced auto burglaries that didn't get reported because 5-0 either didn't show up or the victim didn't even call to report it because he/she thought nothing would be done. Also, at one time Jackson had a police chief who wanted some burglaries reported as "Vandalism" to make the crime stats look better. If I had to bet, I would put my money on a much higher percentage of crimes committed in Rankin/Madison being reported to and accuratly annotated by law enforcement. Bottom line is that crime in Jackson is likely worse than the above stat shows.

I'm not surprised about the crime in Flowood (Flohood), as a place to live, it's best days are in the rear view mirror.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Cheating also happens in crime reporting, I know people in Jxn who have experienced auto burglaries that didn't get reported because 5-0 either didn't show up or the victim didn't even call to report it because he/she thought nothing would be done. Also, at one time Jackson had a police chief who wanted some burglaries reported as "Vandalism" to make the crime stats look better. If I had to bet, I would put my money on a much higher percentage of crimes committed in Rankin/Madison being reported to and accuratly annotated by law enforcement. Bottom line is that crime in Jackson is likely worse than the above stat shows.
There is no way to know when that's happening. But we could expect it to happen in pretty much all cities across the board, meaning, the numbers may all change by +10 or so but it would change for all the cities consistently.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Oh. So you still don't get it. I guess that should not come as a surprise.

Austin, TX has a population of 885,400 (5x) and a rating of 366.3.
Seattle, WA has a population of 652,405 (3.7x) and a rating of 402.2.
Boise, ID has a population of 214,237 (1.2x) and a rating of 195.3.
Madison, WI has a population of 243,344 (1.4x) and a rating of 263.5.

What makes these cities not only larger than Jackson, but much safer than Jackson?
You tell us. I think I know the answer. It's 800 lbs. and it's in the room. Oh, they're home to their state's biggest university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson