Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Whichever neighborhood voted for me in the most recent election. Everything else is BS. If they both voted for me equally, then I'll look at other factors.
Exhibit A: as to why Jackson is in the shape it's in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:28 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Streets with the highest travel and streets that are home to businesses that bring in money to the city always, no matter what city we talk about, always get first crack at road improvement budgets.
Okay well if bad areas don't get roads repaved, is that why Woody Drive in South Jackson got a repave job recently? I mean, cause wouldn't that be in one of those "undesirable" areas you like to talk about? Roads get repaved no matter the neighborhood, it's just the matter of the city actually getting out and doing it.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Are you thick? I didn't say certain areas wouldn't get fixed. They just aren't a priority.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Imagine you're the mayor of a city deciding which roads to pave.

You're presented with 2 neighborhoods with equally terrible roads.

The first neighborhood is majority black, the homes are completely remodeled with well-kept up yards. The type of neighborhood that no one is home during the day because everyone's gone to work. You look into the most recent neighborhood study and find that the median household income for this neighborhood is about $71K. 83% of the homes in this neighborhood are occupied by the actual owner. (Meaning no renters)

The neighborhood over is majority white. The homes are from the same era as the other neighborhood, but yet no one has put any money into restoring them. They're badly needing paint, new roofs, new landscaping, new everything practically. People are coming and going all hours of the night, loudly blasting their classical Beethoven, Bach, etc. without any regard for people that might be trying to sleep. The median household income for this neighborhood is about $36K. 21% of the homes in this neighborhood are occupied by the actual owner.

Which neighborhood would you pave? Both neighborhoods were paved 20 years ago and have NUMEROUS potholes.
I'd pave the first neighborhood's roads, then I'd pave the other neighborhood's roads! Like I said, everyone deserves good roads, and sometimes good, solid, blacktopped roads make an area look a little better.

Quote:
Whichever neighborhood voted for me in the most recent election. Everything else is BS. If they both voted for me equally, then I'll look at other factors.
Just no.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Are you thick? I didn't say certain areas wouldn't get fixed. They just aren't a priority.
No I'm not thick, I exercise! But I do like to indulge sometimes I will admit!

Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 PM

168 posts, read 191,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I'd pave the first neighborhood's roads, then I'd pave the other neighborhood's roads! Like I said, everyone deserves good roads, and sometimes good, solid, blacktopped roads make an area look a little better.
Have you ever taken an economics course, or understand the basic concepts of money? Things don't just happen because "everyone deserves good roads" and they "make an area look a little better"

Roads take things such as MONEY. You know, like MONEY that people pay in taxes???

Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Have you ever taken an economics course, or understand the basic concepts of money? Things don't just happen because "everyone deserves good roads" and they "make an area look a little better"

Roads take things such as MONEY. You know, like MONEY that people pay in taxes???
No way!! I had no idea! LOL, you were talking about a hypothetical situation. But yes I'd pave one neighborhood, then later on pave the other neighborhood. But I wouldn't wait you know a decade or more waiting to do it.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
No way!! I had no idea! LOL, you were talking about a hypothetical situation. But yes I'd pave one neighborhood, then later on pave the other neighborhood. But I wouldn't wait you know a decade or more waiting to do it.

That wasn't the question he asked btw

Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
This is how you destroy someplace. I do respect your honesty but I wonder if you understand the implications of such practices?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
How can you say this? You cant pave a road, no matter how much they need it or how much you want to if you cant pay for it. Paving roads is real good PR for the political class and it positively impacts employment figures.

Do you actually think there are politicians not paving roads when they could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: