Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:12 PM

772 posts, read 999,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
They are. I remember reading an article about the one at the airport was among the first ones in the U.S.
Most likely it was! My parents were shipped off to Guam in '81, and they left on a flight out of KJAN, and the roundabout was there then! I suppose at that time, roundabouts were VERY new here in the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I actually have had someone tell me they are popular overseas in Europe.
That is true. The idea that Jackson or any city would use them just cause Europeans do it is silly

Old 04-13-2015, 10:12 PM

168 posts, read 192,085 times
WSDOT - Roundabout Benefits

Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
That is true. The idea that Jackson or any city would use them just cause Europeans do it is silly
They don't "use them just cause Europeans do it". If that were the case we'd have been on the Metric system decades ago. The reason traffic circles are starting to gain popularity in the USA is because they are better... in the right locations.

Skip ahead to about 15:55 for the start of the roundabout experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5TfcJ8ILE

I live in a city where they are in the process of replacing isolated 4-way stops (2-lane roads) with roundabouts. The Mythbusters empirically prove what people who regularly use roundabouts already know: roundabouts are significantly better than 2-lane 4-way stops where both streets are roughly equal in priority and traffic load.

The problem is that if one of the roads has a higher traffic load the roundabout's fairness falls apart. Because cars inside the circle have the right-of-way, a constant stream of traffic from one direction can totally dominate the circle and block off other directions. Traffic from that one direction flows very quickly, but if you are the one sitting on a side road you could be stuck a while.

Another problem is that 4-lane roundabouts can be very confusing for people not used to them, especially people from rural areas who aren't used to changing lanes. I have older relatives who, when they encounter a multi-lane road, get into the lane they need to turn out of and stay there until their destination. If that destination is a left turn in 10 miles, they ride in the left lane (clogging traffic) for 10 miles. Throw in a multi-lane roundabout where quick lane changes are mandatory and it just blows their mind. The rules are actually quite simple, but different. And American drivers are notoriously unable to figure out anything new.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
Capitol Street is officially a two-way street. It felt weird driving from State towards Gallatin.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM

772 posts, read 999,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Capitol Street is officially a two-way street. It felt weird driving from State towards Gallatin.
Capitol Street is very beautiful now! I hear that lights are on the way too to illuminate the street through downtown at night, which makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: