U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,257,575 times

Advertisements

Where is the GI neighborhood you referred to? I live in Broadmoor and I never heard of it.

Speaking of Broadmoor, though I like the area, it is somewhat hit or miss. Some nicer homes with older, more run-down homes mixed it. I have start seeing a few homes get some renovation. However, it is more diverse than what one may think. It is mostly black, but a fair amount of whites and a few Hispanics have moved in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 PM

772 posts, read 921,630 times
It's literally a street over from Broadmoor Drive, right where the S Mart gas station is! There's a historic sign at Robinhood Road & North State Street that tells about the subdivision & it's purpose! All of the roads in the neighborhood are named after things from World War II, such as Normandy Drive, Churchill Road, etc.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM

10,062 posts, read 11,625,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
It's literally a street over from Broadmoor Drive, right where the S Mart gas station is! There's a historic sign at Robinhood Road & North State Street that tells about the subdivision & it's purpose! All of the roads in the neighborhood are named after things from World War II, such as Normandy Drive, Churchill Road, etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/OU90u

Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,257,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
You're really talking about my neck of the woods! I've seen the sign before, but never really paid much attention to it.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:37 PM

772 posts, read 921,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
You're really talking about my neck of the woods! I've seen the sign before, but never really paid much attention to it.
Awesome! A lot of people don't notice it, but it's quite a piece of forgotten history.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:19 PM

10,062 posts, read 11,625,651 times
I would say a good deal of Jackson's growth post-World War Two was due to returning GIs.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,925,774 times
I read an interesting article once about why the economy surged so much after WWII. Basically it said that due to all the forced rationing during the war, (and the long depression before that after the government raised taxes and restricted trade), investors had spent the last 10 or 15 years using their funds to pay off their debts, rather than investing to build new businesses etc. Once the war was over and the rationing had ended, and the investors having cleaned up their balance sheets nicely with hardly any debt, finally had their chance to start taking out new loans to build new businesses. And as they did, the economy began expanding.

This article was debating those who argued that spending on the war itself had somehow triggered the economy to grow, when in fact it was mainly the unintended consequence of forced rationing and the cleaning up of private investors' balance sheets (i.e. paying off their debts since there was little to invest in as long as consumers weren't allowed to buy much of anything) that opened up the opportunity for all the new investments that embodied the post war expansion.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,585,397 times
What streets divide the Northside from the Westside? What's the boundaries for each communities? I've been using google map but wanted the locals opinion as well.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:07 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,585,397 times
I was able to visit Jackson last month and see portions of Northside, Westside, & Downtown. I seen this map and was wondering is the boundaries of the neighborhoods accurate?

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/M...9UxM17ss_n6oHB

Old 05-09-2022, 01:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,249 times
I know this is an old thread and such, but I do feel it's relevant to try and get a really good map/idea of major areas, neighborhoods, and subdivisions of Jackson. In fact, I don't really understand why Jackson hasn't made its own map of neighborhoods and such itself.

In regards to the major areas of Jackson (North Jackson, South Jackson, etc.), here's what I'd say:

-South Jackson: Definitely everything south of I-20 all the way down south to Byram's city limits.

-Northeast Jackson: Jackson city limits to the north meeting with Ridgeland/Madison County, Lakeland Dr. or the Lefleur's Park area to the south, city/county limits to the east, and I-55 to the west.

-West Jackson: Basically, everything west of Gallatin/Mill Streets and south of Northside Drive is arguably West Jackson. Several neighborhoods in this area are also considered to be part of North Jackson as well. Less commonly certain areas are either referred to as northwest or southwest Jackson.

-North Jackson: Includes everything north of Northside Drive, though many neighborhoods not within this area such as Virden Addition, Georgetown, Northwest Hills etc. are often included as well. Then you also have neighborhoods not in West Jackson at all that are often included here (Belhaven, Midtown, Downtown, Fondren).

This is my best shot as these major sides of Jackson are often ill-defined with some neighborhoods, in my opinion, should arguably be part of another area (I'm thinking Belhaven, Midtown, and Fondren should be considered NE Jackson at least, but that's just me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson