Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,412,888 times

Advertisements

In the area where I live (a mainly black/minority neighborhood), I've seen a small increase in the number of white people who've moved in (I've been here almost six years). In fact, two white men moved into a house two doors down from me a couple of months that was previously inhabited by a black family. As you go across Northside Drive, it gets decidedly whiter (though, no real surprise). Of course, it's still decidedly whiter as you make your way through Fondren, Belhaven and the more upscale areas of northeast Jackson.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with more white people living in Jackson. In fact, people of all backgrounds should feel welcome here. I have a coworker with a white fiancé that moved into a house together in Fondren not long ago. They were living in Madison County previously. However, from what I've been able to observe over time, Jackson has very negative connotations among whites in the surrounding areas. All you have to do is go no further than WLBT's or WAPT's Facebook pages and see how many people comment negatively on things that happen in Jackson, even on good things.

There is a small but upward trend of people (primarily white) moving back to central cities across America. Look no further than Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Atlanta's black population peaked in 1990 at around 67 percent, but has since fallen to make up 53 percent of the city's population. Washington is even more dramatic. Blacks now hold a plurality (49.5%) of that city's population--after having been above 70 percent in the not-too-distant past--with whites now at just under 44 percent.

I feel that Jackson's large black population percentage (almost 80 percent) has peaked. Mixed-use developments with residential spaces are popping up in Fondren and at the District at Eastover, and more loft apartments are planned for downtown. Midtown is about to be the next Fondren, as the arts scene is bursting at the scene and housing redevelopments taking off. I'm willing to bet that the majority of new dwellers in those areas will be young whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 AM

772 posts, read 1,001,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
In the area where I live (a mainly black/minority neighborhood), I've seen a small increase in the number of white people who've moved in (I've been here almost six years). In fact, two white men moved into a house two doors down from me a couple of months that was previously inhabited by a black family. As you go across Northside Drive, it gets decidedly whiter (though, no real surprise). Of course, it's still decidedly whiter as you make your way through Fondren, Belhaven and the more upscale areas of northeast Jackson.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with more white people living in Jackson. In fact, people of all backgrounds should feel welcome here. I have a coworker with a white fiancé that moved into a house together in Fondren not long ago. They were living in Madison County previously. However, from what I've been able to observe over time, Jackson has very negative connotations among whites in the surrounding areas. All you have to do is go no further than WLBT's or WAPT's Facebook pages and see how many people comment negatively on things that happen in Jackson, even on good things.

There is a small but upward trend of people (primarily white) moving back to central cities across America. Look no further than Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Atlanta's black population peaked in 1990 at around 67 percent, but has since fallen to make up 53 percent of the city's population. Washington is even more dramatic. Blacks now hold a plurality (49.5%) of that city's population--after having been above 70 percent in the not-too-distant past--with whites now at just under 44 percent.

I feel that Jackson's large black population percentage (almost 80 percent) has peaked. Mixed-use developments with residential spaces are popping up in Fondren and at the District at Eastover, and more loft apartments are planned for downtown. Midtown is about to be the next Fondren, as the arts scene is bursting at the scene and housing redevelopments taking off. I'm willing to bet that the majority of new dwellers in those areas will be young whites.
I talked about this a long time ago on this forum, but yes, families are indeed moving back into the city/inner city and I think for Jackson, that's going to effect the city positively! I referenced a book on here once that I read called The End of the Suburbs, which was about how families all across America are tired of living in the suburbs and have a desire to live in the city nowadays. Older people might not see it that way, because older people grew up in the Golden Age of the suburbs if you will, when families were bursting at the seems moving OUT of the city! Here in Jackson, the flight to the suburbs was so rapid that the city made Capitol Street one way, because everyone working in Jackson lived in the suburbs just about! Today however, more & more families grow tired of living in the suburbs that they had to grow up in. I for one am one of them, I grew up in Ridgeland, and went to school there and graduated high school there, but as I got older, I grew real tired of the whole suburbs vs. city battle, and decided to embrace the entire Metro area! I love Jackson, I love the city, and regardless of the negative things that a lot of people say about it, tons of people & families are moving there everyday!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,823,765 times
I don't think Fondren was ever a "ghetto".

Jackson is probably getting "bluer", since the people moving into the city are likely Democrats.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:34 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,351,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I talked about this a long time ago on this forum, but yes, families are indeed moving back into the city/inner city
Sure

Sure

Old 06-10-2015, 01:21 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,412,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I don't think Fondren was ever a "ghetto".

Jackson is probably getting "bluer", since the people moving into the city are likely Democrats.
Jackson has been largely Democratic for years, like many big cities.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Jackson has been largely Democratic for years, like many big cities.
Wait, you mean all the supposed families moving into Jackson aren't Republican???

Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 PM

772 posts, read 1,001,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Wait, you mean all the supposed families moving into Jackson aren't Republican???
A lot of young people today are Democrats, and they are under the impression that the Democratic party is more progressive than the Republican party.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
A lot of young people today are Democrats, and they are under the impression that the Democratic party is more progressive than the Republican party.

Oh god. It was sarcasm about your earlier ridiculous suggestion that families are flocking to Jackson.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,501,563 times
Jackson itself is still shrinking. Of the hundreds of cities in this country with more than 50,000 people, Jackson is one of the very few that keeps losing people. I think it is absurd to think a few anecdotal accounts of people moving back into the city is going to change the demographics any time soon.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 AM

93 posts, read 90,428 times
I will believe Jackson is getting Whiter if I start seeing more White kids in Jackson's K-12 public schools. As of this writing, all of Jackson's K-12 public schools are still either all Black or overwhelmingly Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson