Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Because if their kids are too tired to handle the 10-hour drive, then it's unlikely they will want to check into a hotel, unpack, and then drive again to a restaurant like c-ock of the walk. Better just get room service.
good grief. Give it a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 AM

30 posts, read 71,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
good grief. Give it a rest.
Thank you.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM

190 posts, read 692,299 times
I would choose from one of these previously suggested pasted below. There is also a Springhill Suites right next to the TownePlace, and a Home2Suites on the other side of the interstate near the Hyatt Place. TownePlace and Springhill are within walking distance of a Sombra (Mexican), Soulshine (pizza place), Newk's (deli), Pita Pit, and Majestic Burger, Rocky Mt. Chocolate Factory, and cupcake place, all in a very nice and new development. There is still construction going on there. Hyatt Place is next to an outdoor mall with a Ruth's Chris and Seafood Revolution, PF Chang, and Biaggi's, but they are all very near each other. There is also a Five Guys burger place there, with a Panera Bread set to open soon, as well as Another Broken Egg (closes at 2:00 PM I believe). You'd want to drive from Home2Suites to eating locations.

Embassy

TownePlace

Hyatt Place

Last edited by covedweller; 07-09-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:31 AM

As far as things to entertain the kids (other than the mall, it isn't really geared toward kids) these are very easy to access and a short drive from the Ridgeland hotels:

Mississippi Children's Museum

https://www.malco.com/cinema_info.php?this_id=94

Also, I hear good things about this place, but I've never been.

Craftsmen Guild of Mississippi - Preserve, Promote, Market, Educate & Encourage Excellence in Regional Crafts

Old 07-09-2015, 11:40 AM

On the opposite side of town, Pearl has some decent hotels near Bass Pro Shop and Trustmark Park. If the Braves are in town, you might could catch a game to entertain the kids for a while (Braves AA affiliate) if you are baseball fans. There is also an outlet mall there. Bass Pro has a restaurant, plus you've got fast food and a few places like Ruby Tuesday's, Cracker Barrel, and O'Charley's, along with a few other sit down chains.

Outlets of Mississippi :: 200 Bass Pro Drive, Pearl, MS. 39208 :: 769-972-3000

Also a mini-golf place (never been, I assume it is still operating).

Mac and Bones, Mini Golf, Golf

Old 07-09-2015, 03:06 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Default You're WISE!

You're wise to be so careful. Somebody was telling me about his cousins, who had a mother who'd been helicoptered-in, for some sort of emergency scans/treatments. The next afternoon, my source went to see the mother in the hospital, and wondered where his cousins were.

The cousins (who had, at one time, been very familiar with Jackson - but like most Delta Aristocrats, had moved to other states), checked into a "Safe, nice luxury chain, in Northeast Jackson". In their youth, they'd looked like Paul Newman and Brigitte Bardot. Now, they looked like Newman and Bardot in early old age. The desk clerk took one look at them, and said, "Y'all do NOT need to be here!"

The security guard walked them to their room. "Y'all the only white people here!" This did not faze them, as they, being from the Delta, were quite accustomed to being the only white people within MILES. And the other guests, and their cars, seemed perfectly nice to these two. But the guard, seeing they were not nearly worried enough (and, no doubt, realizing that being "old, rich, and blond" made them ideal targets), made it perfectly clear that they were to basically barricade themselves in their rooms, and not come out until morning. So, finally sufficiently terrified, they didn't go back to the hospital, until the next day.

Problem was, the cousins did not have the UPDATED news on 'where's safe and where isn't'. The nice hotel was on the WEST side of the Interstate. So, just being a prestige chain, in 'Northeast Jackson', was not enough. The WEST side of the Interstate gets a lot of "foot traffic" from surrounding neighborhoods. The local who killed the Bass Fisherman in the parking lot of another roadside hotel, a year or so back, would be a perfect example of "Local Foot Traffic" targeting someone old, affluent, and blond.

The area around Ridgeland's 'Renaissance' ( Renaissance:::Home ) and 'Township' (Interactive Map | The Township at Colony Park) developments would be an excellent choice, in terms of safety. Township has several new hotels.

I like the Hilton Garden Inn, in Madison. Hotels in Madison - Hilton Garden Inn Jackson-Madison Madison's VERY safe, and the Colony Crossing development is right across the pond: Colony Crossing - , including a Bonefish Grill, a Brasserie of sorts, in the same building as Bonefish, and a Wendy's. One could, plausibly, walk. Also nearby is uber-family-friendly Beagle Bagel: The Beagle Bagel Cafe - Jackson Mississippi Catering Just across the Interstate are all sorts of fast food/chain food options, all repackaged to look like posh clubs. There's also a WalMart (//pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles42993.jpg) that I'm not afraid to go into at night: even when I'm in the Aston Martin. So, if like most families, you need to replenish various supplies, mid-trip, it's a pretty safe place to go.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:52 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
That "other roadside hotel" is one I told them to stay away from. It's a Motel 6 ... Most Motel 6's are shady to begin with. The west side of I-55 is good, just don't go down into the neighborhoods. Hampton Inn, Baymont, & Fairfield Inn are three examples of nice hotels on the west side. Plus, they have Chili's, IHOP, Fuddrucker's, Luby's, etc. to go to. One example would be the Hampton Inn or Baymont, which is off Briarwood. The east side of Briarwood is fine, but the west side is a different story. Don't go past the big Stringer University building on the west side of Briarwood and anyone should be fine.

Oh, and the old, dilapidated La Quinta on the EAST side of I-55 also needs avoiding. Luckily a new one recently opened up on the west side of I-55 on Beasley across from the Comcast building.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
I always stay at Hyatt Place Renaissance and it is very nice and located so well. You can walk to a half dozen really good restaurants and shops and treats the kids would enjoy including the water features.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:25 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
I second the motion for Hilton Garden Inn at the Madison exit. Best location in the Metro....safe, safe, safe.

And most importantly, I melt every time I saw that 3-feet tall Hilton sign, on a tasteful stone base if memory serves. Civilization at last. And to boot the Exxon with the Corinthian columns is practically next door and elegant Walgreens (also with Corinthian columns, ha) with giant windows is also close. That said, obviously anything on Highland Colony Parkway in Ridgeland is par excellence as noted above.

Hilton Garden is also opening soon in Flowood which will also be a fantastic location for them...no shortage of restaurants and stores in the area and ultra safe.

For that matter, the Pearl area is also thriving and something tells that once the Pearl River Lake is finished, suddenly Pearl and Flowood will be water-front cities virtually walking distance (okay maybe biking) to the capitol, universities and major hospitals. This suggests that all that undeveloped wooded land along the east side of the Pearl River between downtown and the airport, now a flood zone, will suddenly become very in-town, close-in and yet ultra safe and under very sane and efficient city governments in Flowood and Pearl. Sounds like a recipe for some exciting city planning and developments in the near future (i.e. maybe 10, 15, or 20 years). (I would assume a pro-growth Republican president in 2017 with some pushing and horse-trading from Mississippi senators would cut through the federal morass and get the project rolling.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson