Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,531 times

Advertisements

Earlier today, I was at the outlet mall in Pearl. As you know, the mall is part of the development that includes Bass Pro Shops, Sam's, and the centerpiece, Trustmark Park. Trustmark Park could've been in Jackson, but city leadership committed an error (pun intended) and Pearl won because of it. If TP was built in Jackson, it may be possible that the outlet mall could've been built on the Jackson side of the river.

A new mall hasn't been built in the city since Metrocenter opened in 1978. Other than power centers like the Junction (Target, Petsmart, Home Depot, etc.) and the ones on County Line, all other large retail developments have been built outside the city. Besides Metrocenter (which I struggle to call it a mall), the only other major retail outlet is Highland Village.

I highly doubt another mall will be built in the city anytime soon. The upcoming District At Eastover will have some retail, but will not be close to the size of the major malls. The soonest I can see one built is if the One Lake plan goes through, which could spur some development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:07 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
Had Trustmark Park been built in Jackson, it is unlikely it would have added anything else, just like every place else in the country that built a sports arena in a bad area. You end up with a sports arena in a bad area. In spite of the highest hopes, it usually does not spur any other growth based on a sports arena alone.

Jackson in broken and at present course will stay broken. No matter how it makes anyone feel, you have to ask the question, "What is in Jackson that would attract business?" It is a broke and uneducated population with a crumbling infrastructure and a massive crime problem. Why would any sizable and stable business locate in such an area? Why wouldn't such businesses locate in the areas that are safe and have money? (which is exactly what is happening)

Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Had Trustmark Park been built in Jackson, it is unlikely it would have added anything else, just like every place else in the country that built a sports arena in a bad area. You end up with a sports arena in a bad area.
Downtown is a bad area? Huh, didn't know that.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
and here's the downtown defender

Old 12-27-2015, 07:50 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Jackson in broken and at present course will stay broken. No matter how it makes anyone feel, you have to ask the question, "What is in Jackson that would attract business?" It is a broke and uneducated population with a crumbling infrastructure and a massive crime problem. Why would any sizable and stable business locate in such an area?
The truth hurts sometimes about my hometown, but there are a lot of educated people residing in the city of Jackson. I do agree though I can't pretty much explain what the city offers to attract any new brand businesses. I watched Jackson decline tremendously, especially the Metrocenter Mall area. I remember going there as a kid ( https://youtu.be/llMm7dve5ZY ) and how the entire area was booming. You had businesses up and down Highway 80 and Robinson Road.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:29 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
and here's the downtown defender
Well I can't remember anything in recent memory (20-30 years) that talks about high crime downtown, or gun violence downtown, or homicides or anything of that nature. So what makes downtown so unsafe? The most you have to worry about downtown, is homeless people.

I'd say Downtown is one of the safest areas of the city! Now if you wanna talk unsafe, West & South Jackson have UNSAFE written all over them.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,107 times
Quote:
Well I can't remember anything in recent memory (20-30 years) that talks about high crime downtown, or gun violence downtown, or homicides or anything of that nature. So what makes downtown so unsafe? The most you have to worry about downtown, is homeless people.

I'd say Downtown is one of the safest areas of the city! Now if you wanna talk unsafe, West & South Jackson have UNSAFE written all over them.
You just answered your own question. When the developers who built the Renaissance or the Outlets at Pearl you think they said "the most shoppers have to worry about are the bums"?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
Quote:

It is unlikely Jackson will ever fix itself. Its only hope, based on what has happened in a few other places, is it capitalizes on its captive industry (UMMC) and when some areas get cheap enough to attract early adapter broke young professionals, it supports such people. That is one of the ways gentrification starts.

To be blunt, Jackson's only hope are the businesses that cant leave and outsiders.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:29 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,524 times
Jackson has major problems including an inept city government. If the people of Jackson won't better then they need to elect better. People like Kenneth Stokes isn't going to get it done and you need to elect a mayor that has a history of getting things done and not someone that just has hope. Hope isn't going to fix Jackson.

But to answer the question, the answer is no.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 PM

57 posts, read 58,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Jackson has major problems including an inept city government. If the people of Jackson won't better then they need to elect better. People like Kenneth Stokes isn't going to get it done and you need to elect a mayor that has a history of getting things done and not someone that just has hope. Hope isn't going to fix Jackson.

But to answer the question, the answer is no.
And currently there is no such mayor living in Jackson. Current mayor seems to be turning (or trying to) shake things up. Hope is all we got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson