Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,970 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are empty nesters and will be moving to Jackson, MS for a job relocation. We will only be living in the area for 5-7 years so resale value is important to us. Our budget is around $300k. We are looking at the following neighborhoods: Ridgeland- Dinsmor, Wendover; Madison- Northbay, Cypress lake, Annandale, Lake Caroline, and Lake Hatheway. Thoughts in regards to safety and resale value would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,476 times
Since these are suburban areas, there isn't a lot of violent crime. I would guess the resale value would be rather high.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:37 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
In Ridgeland, I'd ONLY consider something with true gating (gates that DON'T open without an access code, or a guard's opening them). If there's anything in Windrush (http://content.mediastg.net/dyna_ima...442/255920.jpg), I'd consider that, unless the gating system has changed recently. The gates and gatehouse are pretty, and there are some good houses and people in there. A now-world-famous architect designed the entrance and some of the houses.

Bridgewater has guarded gates, and is pretty secure. Dinsmor, if I remember correctly, has several (ungated) entrances. The area used to be rock-solid, but it seems the big developers have maybe decided to sabotage the area, by putting in a downmarket megastore nearby (and thus drive people farther north, onto land they own and are developing). So, the current loveliness and exclusivity of the Old Agency Road/Norrey's Pond area is endangered. But Bridgewater and Windrush should stay 'good' for the remainder of your lifetimes.

Have you looked at anything in Roses Bluff? It's securely gated, enjoys a fantastic peninsular microclimate, and has a few architecturally important homes: http://p.rdcpix.com/v02/lce3b1b44-m0...0_h480_q80.jpg There's a row of freestanding townhouses, which should be in your price range. The Yacht Club is just across the road (Supposedly, there's a wealthy empty-nesters swinging clique within that club, which includes a couple of media personalities...).

I don't think there's anything wrong with Northbay, really (particularly if it's the Levy's spectacular rose stucco waterside home, with the walled forecourt, you're considering). The homeowner's association is militantly against rentals. But the place never matured into a lovely landscape, like you'd think it would have. That mystery was solved, when someone told me that the covenants mandate limbing trees up to ten feet. For views? For security? Because rednecks don't like greenery? I don't know. But the place has a raw "feel" to it (as does Annandale, which looks totally parched). And, at a party, I halfway heard about some "awful woman" messing with the lanterns on the entrances (She thought they were too big, or too fancy, or something). The entrances were (like those at Windrush), the work of an architect who's now on Architectural Digest's 'Top' lists, and who wouldn't TOUCH a development like that, today. (A few years after designing those entrances, he turned us down, as clients, as well as, I hear, Christie Ebbers, who, at the time, was one of the richest women in the world.) So, at Northbay, you can't count on provenance-savvy or aesthetically enlightened people helming the future of the neighborhood.

Annandale is fine, good for the long haul, in terms of property values and safety. And there are actually some lovely people living there (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...eed5703439.jpg). Then again, a fuuhbawl family was recently busted, in Annandale, for something drug-related. Madison family arrested after drugs found in home - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS But they're really an anomaly - probably only tolerated because the daddy used to be, as John Cougar would say it, "Uuuuuh fuhbawl stah-ah".

Have you considered Brisage, in Madison? http://madisonmsrealestatehomes.com/...ontentrace.jpg No golf, but the houses are unique, and the neighborhood quickly organized, and ousted all the initial mortgage fraudsters (this was during the Bush recession and the consequent dip in housing sales). So, it's a tight ship, and well-captained. Last time I was there, the gates required a code. It's one of the most convenient locations in the metro, and precisely at your price point. For some reason, Brisage reminds me of Alsatian and Breton villages - very cozy and quirky.

Lake Caroline is spotty, but good. There's always been a HUGE swinging scene there (including some hot, affluent, bi bodybuilder types: I'm always hearing titillating tales out of there) as well as in pricier 'Reunion' (Reunion Swinger's Club). Lake Caroline's a big development, with a wide range of home prices. Personally, I'd buy on the gated peninsula, which is REALLY secure. Only trouble I've heard of in Lake Caroline was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POg95WpVcdk But really, my bud Babette says this was about a Software developer who fooled with guns, when he should have been lifting weights. So, he didn't look good enough for a local girl, and had to marry an employee from his Moscow office, which didn't turn out well. The video shows, though, what happens when people misbehave in Madison. The City brings out the big guns. You saw that TANK being brought in? They REALLY don't fool around, in Madison!

Honestly, you couldn't find a better town, between Highland Park, Texas, and Mountain Brook, Alabama (or, north-to-south, between Belle Meade, Tennessee and Mandeville, Louisiana.). Madison is chock-full of retired and active government agents and high-ranking military, of one sort or another, as well as people from all over the Ark-La-Miss, who are fed-up with deteriorating conditions in their hometowns. People are VIGILANT. Plus, many of them are politically powerful and/or have advanced weapons/defense training. It's like Heaven, after moving from most other places in the South. You really can just exhale and relax, once you arrive there.

Too, where else is the grocery store like THIS?: Joniopolis: Gotta Love the South And what other town has a Steinmart like THIS?: //www.city-data.com/forum/attac...rt-madison.jpg A quick bite, on a sunny day?: http://x.lnimg.com/photo/poster_768/...05d658168e.jpg Or a trip to the pharmacy:? //www.city-data.com/forum/attac...en-cvs-gym.jpg

In Madison, you get the best of everything.
PS: I forgot about Cypress Lake. Currently, the gates open with the approach of a vehicle. So, there have been a couple of incursions by hominids out of Jackson (which all got caught, and stuck in jail, with million-Dollar bonds). But it's pretty safe, and the houses/people are nice. Here's the personal photo blog of a classic Cypress Lake resident. This should tell you all you need to know: https://www.flickr.com/photos/my_bac...57603463100523

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-09-2016 at 02:24 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM

27 posts, read 34,527 times
Grandview has lived in Oregon for quite a while. Assess her comments accordingly.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:42 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,324 times
And offers nothing to any discussion

Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
And offers nothing to any discussion

This adds nothing to the discussion.

Here is why, if you think she is wrong, point out what is wrong. That would be valuable information. Lets be honest, she provided information. You told everyone, yet again, how you feel about her.

Who was more useful?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Mine. And it wasn't full of stupid links and paragraphs of trying to be funny

Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Mine. And it wasn't full of stupid links and paragraphs of trying to be funny
No, your vendetta is an internet version of a tantrum. I can't understand it because your posts are usually so reasonable. You have utterly missed the concept of an audience on this issue. On one side is someone posting well written information. On the other is someone chasing them around to say "I don't like you."

It obviously thrills you but to people watching it unfold, it is nonsense.

Pick a statement she made and prove your case if you actually want to demonstrate the validity of your feelings.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:24 PM

I apologize that my opinion has gotten you so upset.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I apologize that my opinion has gotten you so upset.

Not upset, it makes me curious.

At every office party, when a certain person walks in the room, you feel the need to tell the entire room "I don't like this person."

I have witnessed people who perform a reasonable analogue of that in real life. It is a form of self destruction but they are compelled to do it. They justify the behavior at all costs.

I am just going Jane Goodall on you. Observing you in your natural habitat from a very safe vantage point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson