Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times

Advertisements

They're coming for our airport, and now they want to come for our city. State representative Mark Baker of Rankin County plans to introduce a bill in the next legislative session to take over Jackson, much like in the way the state takes over a failing school district.

Lawmaker considering city takeover bill | Local News - Home

Maybe Jackson should secede from the state of Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 05:39 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times
Horrible drinking water, horrible infrastructure, horrible airport. The State couldn't do any worse.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:44 AM

The city has gone to the state for a long time asking for help from the state, but always get very little or nothing at all. Yet, the state is always taking from us.

By the way, the airport is operating in the black.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Yes Jackson always asks for money. Always. And the State gives money and then what? Nothing. Then it's repeated over and over. Plus why would the state trust Jackson?

And the airport is the largest in the state and is a joke. It's embarrassing.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM

168 posts, read 192,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
75%+~ of Jackson is a joke... That's the sad part. I am embarrassed for people that are not from the area to even stop at a gas station in the Jackson city limits. It's bad enough seeing all of the dilapidated homes, businesses, and apartment buildings from the interstate with the piles of trash and tires in front of them.

What's even worse than the dilapidated homes is the fact that a lot of them still have people living in them. Trash strewn all over the yard, grass grown up, broken down cars in the driveway, all while someone just sits on the front porch waiting on the day to go by, only getting up from their seat to walk to the nearest gas station to grab a drink and a bite to eat.

What does it honestly take to get everyone on board to have pride in their city, their neighborhood, their own home?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Yes Jackson always asks for money. Always. And the State gives money and then what? Nothing. Then it's repeated over and over. Plus why would the state trust Jackson?

The airport is operating in the black. What else is embarrassing?

The city has asked the state for PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) money to help with things like infrastructure. They know what our roads and pipes are like. They take up a lot of space in the city, whether it's state agencies, JSU, UMMC, etc.--space that's untaxable to the city. No, the state isn't responsible for most of our problems, but they haven't been willing to give us a helping hand either.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Yeah it's the states fault.
Or Rankin County fault.
Or Madison County fault.
Or people living in the suburbs fault.
Or the police fault.

It's always someone else's fault. All Jackson needs is a helping hand and money. That's what's holding back progress.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 PM

Nowhere did I place blame on the surrounding communities.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:41 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
75%+~ of Jackson is a joke... That's the sad part. I am embarrassed for people that are not from the area to even stop at a gas station in the Jackson city limits. It's bad enough seeing all of the dilapidated homes, businesses, and apartment buildings from the interstate with the piles of trash and tires in front of them.

What's even worse than the dilapidated homes is the fact that a lot of them still have people living in them. Trash strewn all over the yard, grass grown up, broken down cars in the driveway, all while someone just sits on the front porch waiting on the day to go by, only getting up from their seat to walk to the nearest gas station to grab a drink and a bite to eat.

What does it honestly take to get everyone on board to have pride in their city, their neighborhood, their own home?
Usually renters don't take as good a care as an owner does. And if the landlord lives out of town, hes probably a slum lord and has no interest in taking care of that property as long as he gets his rent money. I also think there's alot of people that don't know how to take care of yard because they never had a yard to take care of.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 AM

168 posts, read 192,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Usually renters don't take as good a care as an owner does. And if the landlord lives out of town, hes probably a slum lord and has no interest in taking care of that property as long as he gets his rent money. I also think there's alot of people that don't know how to take care of yard because they never had a yard to take care of.
I understand not knowing how to take care of a yard because you've never had one before, but at the same time picking up trash off of the ground or not throwing trash on the ground in the first place and keeping the grass mowed are both pretty basic things that you would expect from those that own/rent any piece of grass.

I had a friend that owned a few duplexes and she was kind enough to include yard maintenance in with the rent. She said pretty much anytime they showed up to mow the grass, there'd usually be tons of trash all out in the yard and when the tenants were asked they would claim that it's the yard man's responsibility to pick up the trash, not theirs. (Why not just not put the trash in the yard to begin with???)

Most of the communities I've ever lived would generally have people (sometimes me) that would walk the streets and pick up trash they saw just to try to make things look nice. In Jackson I don't think we have too much of that, it seems everywhere I go is striving to look more like a landfill than a nice, safe place to raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson