Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
what's the future of Madison? are the residents going to move to bigger cities in 20 years or is Madison immune from losing property value and it's position as a low crime suburb?
Unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the state, which I don't anticipate, Madison will eventually fall. It won't be in my lifetime, but without development bringing in good jobs, the best and brightest will continue to leave and we will get to a point that it so bad that practically everyone who is concerned about his/her future will leave. I'm talking long term here 30-50 years, but I just don't see any hope. I hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the state, which I don't anticipate, Madison will eventually fall. It won't be in my lifetime, but without development bringing in good jobs, the best and brightest will continue to leave and we will get to a point that it so bad that practically everyone who is concerned about his/her future will leave. I'm talking long term here 30-50 years, but I just don't see any hope. I hope I'm wrong.
where do "the biggest and brightest" go to?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Any and everywhere, Nashville seems to be the hot city of late. Traditionally, it has been Atlanta or Dallas.

One bright spot about MS is it's easier to be the "cream of the crop" than many other places. I've had people who have been accepted by service academies tell me getting into service academies from MS was much easier than many other states, as the competition was much less.

I had a young man who graduated from a metro area public high school tell me that if he had been in Colorado with the same high school resume/ACT/SAT score, he wouldn't have gotten close to the USAFA.

Last edited by viverlibre; 05-20-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 08:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin, and to a lesser extent Memphis, Birmingham and Huntsville, AL. I am one of those people (no clue if I'm bright or the best, but I left the state).

I hope to see a turnaround soon but I just don't know what it will be. Personally I think the Coast may be the saving grace. MS needs people ina bad way. Just no jobs right now, but you really never know what the future economy might bring.

I hope it's tourism.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Why did you leave?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin, and to a lesser extent Memphis, Birmingham, and Huntsville, AL. I am one of those people (no clue if I'm bright or the best, but I left the state).

I hope to see a turnaround soon but I just don't know what it will be. Personally, I think the Coast may be the saving grace. MS needs people in a bad way. Just no jobs right now, but you really never know what the future economy might bring.

I hope it's tourism.
If you are smart enough to leave, you are among the best and brightest. I left but came back to go to college and stayed. The wife and I make too much money to leave now, I wish we had left 20 years ago, before putting roots down too deep.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
If you are smart enough to leave, you are among the best and brightest. I left but came back to go to college and stayed. The wife and I make too much money to leave now, I wish we had left 20 years ago, before putting roots down too deep.
I hear you, man. I guess I'm still just a dreamer when it comes to my home state. But, even I realize that it's going to take an economic windfall to change things. Funny thing is, it's already happened, think about Viking, Back Yard Burger, Steinmart - all those companies birthed in MS, but either sold or located headquarters elsewhere. At some point someone will have to make a sacrifice, in order to build.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:18 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
I don't know if I am viewed as one of the "best and brightest" but I lived in the Jackson metro area from August of 2006 until March of 2015 - first in Jackson, then in Brandon and then in Pearl. I left the area because I accepted a job with a major employer in Memphis. Memphis has some of the same problems that Jackson has but, overall, is in better shape and has more hope for the future.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:43 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
I live in North MS and have driven over the state line into Memphis for much of my career. I don't think I would be able to find a job paying the kind of money I am making now if I were to move to another area of Mississippi.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Why did you leave?
I was born and raised in MS, and just wanted to get away for a while. I didn't really know much about economics back in those days. Never went back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson