Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 5 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,564,077 times

Advertisements

This is for the benefit of those considering a move to Jackson, yet anxious about its (and Mississippi's) reputation as being liberal unfriendly, if not outright hostile. While that may or may not be true, depending on who you ask, there are at least four predominately "white middle and upper-middle class" voting precincts that do not conform to the stereotype.

These four precincts are within Jackson's Fondren and Belhaven areas, near University Medical Center (just west of I-55 @ Lakeland Drive). The area is bound on the east by I-55, west by State Street, the north by Northside Drive, and on the south by Fortification St. So while I call it more of a "moderate haven" than an explicitly liberal one, it certainly is more liberal than the rest of Mississippi away from the coast. Even so, this is not Berkeley or Greenwich Village, or even Atlanta or Charlotte. You won't find any militant revolutionaries out to overthrow the established order, but it's still liberal friendly to the extent that one can pursue a moderately liberal lifestyle and express liberal opinions without getting harsh scorn for it.

The areas's center is Fondren Corner, at the junction of State St. and Old Canton Rd., where you'll find the usual restaurants, bars, and music venues, plus a food co-op. For those of a non-mainstream religious inclination, there is, among other things, a Unitarian Universalist congregation just north of Northside Dr. on State Street.(Added: two liberal arts colleges are also here Millsaps College and Belhaven University - both are around 1000 to 2000 students, or something like that)

There's lots more I can say about this, but I'll close this by offering the hard stats I hinted about at the top of this post.

Total For All Four Precincts:
Trump 1193, Clinton 1697, Johnson 142, Stein 26, Others 72
Trump 38.1%, Clinton 54.2%, Johnson 4.5%, Stein 0.8%, Others 2.3%

Precinct 8 (1810 N. State Street)
Trump 175, Clinton 278, Johnson 24, Stein 2, Others 19
Trump 35.2%, Clinton 56.0%, Johnson 4.8%, Stein 0.4%, Others 3.4%

Precinct 9 (Belhaven Coll Library)
Trump 428, Clinton 349, Johnson 45, Stein 7, Others 24
Trump 40.9%, Clinton 50.2%, Johnson 5.3%, Stein 0.8%, Others 2.8%

Precinct 14 (3220 Old Canton Rd.)
Trump 298, Clinton 242, Johnson 24, Stein 4, Others 10
Trump 51.6%, Clinton 41.9%, Johnson, 4.1%, Stein 0.7%, Others 1.7%

Precinct 16 (3227 Old Canton Rd.)
Trump 292, Clinton 828, Johnson 49, Stein 13, Others 19
Trump 24.3%, Clinton 68.9%, Johnson 4.1%, Stein 1.1%, Others 1.58%

Source: ftp://www.co.hinds.ms.us/elections/11102016Precinct.txt (accessed July 11, 2017)

Last edited by Phil75230; 07-11-2017 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM

2,499 posts, read 4,398,014 times
I'm confused. Jackson just elected the most progressive mayor in the country, and by a huge margin. Pretty much all of Jackson is "liberal," except perhaps the richest white areas of Eastover and Woodland Hills.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,945,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm confused. Jackson just elected the most progressive mayor in the country, and by a huge margin. Pretty much all of Jackson is "liberal," except perhaps the richest white areas of Eastover and Woodland Hills.
He's talking about people who are considering a move to Jackson, who think it's Redneckville. I would assume you realize that these people, by and large, don't want to live in the broke down crime ridden areas where most of the liberal folks you speak of live. The areas he listed are pretty much the only options.

You got any other suggestions?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
He's talking about people who are considering a move to Jackson, who think it's Redneckville. I would assume you realize that these people, by and large, don't want to live in the broke down crime ridden areas where most of the liberal folks you speak of live. The areas he listed are pretty much the only options.

You got any other suggestions?
Woodhaven
Woodlea
Lakeover
Northpointe
Pear Orchard Park
Lake Trace
Avery Circle

All upscale, all safe, all low crime areas.

Do you even live in Jackson? But don't know any of these areas?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,342,033 times
He doesn't live here. Another expert who doesn't live here

Old 07-13-2017, 04:48 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,945,434 times
Quote:
Woodhaven
Woodlea
Lakeover
Northpointe
Pear Orchard Park
Lake Trace
Avery Circle

All upscale, all safe, all low crime areas.

Do you even live in Jackson? But don't know any of these areas?
Yeah OKAY....those areas were probably decent in 1995.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Yeah OKAY....those areas were probably decent in 1995.
Yeah ok. Please stop commenting on things you know nothing about. All you're doing is misleading people who come here for real knowledge.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:38 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,105,780 times
Liberal or Democrat? They are not the same.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Liberal or Democrat? They are not the same.
Point well taken. Yet note the relatively part. Voting democrat certainly means "not as conservative" at the very least, which conforms to the qualification relatively. Still, consider how kneejerk people are about certain hot potato social issues (gun rights, GLBT, Transsexual/Transgender, abortion, prayer in schools, legalizing pot for recreational purposes, and so forth), voting democrat in presidential elections does suggest the person is either (a) lower income to the point of tolerating more liberal positions on social issues - not very likely in those precincts, or (b) income safely above break-even, stands to gain more monetary benefit from low taxes, yet will still vote for the party that (by rhetoric, if not really in practice) promotes liberal social positions. That still counts for something, even if your critique is well grounded.

Still, I think there's other ways around this. The Green Party is much further to the left than the Democrats on every economic and social issue that I'm aware of, arguably even to the left of Bernie Sanders in many if not most cases. So it seems that voting for the Greens is a much more accurate indicator of liberal-leftism than merely voting democratic, even (perhaps especially) in presidential elections.

Jill Stein got 1.06% of the national vote in the 44 states she ran (I doubt ballot access in all 50 states would substantially alter her percentage), which admittedly is below the national average - though just how her vote compares with swing city in swing state precincts, I'm not prepared to day. Also, I think that the 2004 Marriage Amendments (fairly widespread) could serve as another proxy. I haven't researched them yet, but I'll do it if you want. At any rate, in precinct 16, she did as well as the national average, allowing for rounding.

STILL, just remember I'm never promised Berkeley, or even New Orleans.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I'm not surprised about the Hanging Moss area, although any change in extreme NE Jackson may surprise me. If you want, I'll look at those precincts too, although it may take a little while. I do know the former area, plus the Lake Hico area are better off than other areas of the city too.

MS-AL Line is right in one respect - my post is intended for people who may think about moving to Jackson but think the entire city is "redneckville". I admit I was thinking of the white population, for that's what outsiders think of when they think of the state as one big stereotype, and even when outsiders do think about blacks, they still think of them as "poor oppressed people who 'know their place'".

In addition, in almost any city, it is rare for any section developed after 1960 to be a center of - to put it mildly - non-conventional viewpoints and lifestyles. Those areas have bland residential architecture that screams "conformist conventionalism", which is typically not a liberal's first choice to live. Fondren and Belhaven, both at least 90, and probably over 100 years old, and certainly pre-WW2, have more interesting architecture than any area you just mentioned. That is going to be much more attractive to non-conventional types of personalities than the "outer urban" parts of the central city. In fact, aside from being on the other side of Jackson City Limits from Ridgeland, I see little to nothing that visually distinguishes any area you listed from Ridgeland, and in some cases even the denser parts of Madison (such as they are). That is why I focused on Fondren and Belhaven - the reputation of older pre-WW2 urban neighborhoods nationwide. Fair or not, that is the way it is, barring some kind of major transformation of the urban cultural geography in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson