Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:12 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Another great thing is that it is now considered "inhumane" to make our precious convicts pick up litter, so they no longer do that. They're too busy posting on Facebook and Snapchat from jail.

That's a surprise. Even here in criminal-friendly Maryland, convicts pick up trash. In fact, it's a privilege they have to earn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 PM

168 posts, read 192,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
That's a surprise. Even here in criminal-friendly Maryland, convicts pick up trash. In fact, it's a privilege they have to earn.
I know if I were in prison that's all I'd want to do is go out picking up trash.

Performing productive work is just not possible for many people.

Jail in Mississippi has almost just become a great way to get free room and board with your buddies for a while. From what I understand many people stay in contact with their loved ones who are locked up through Facebook.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 PM

168 posts, read 192,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This is exagerated somewhat; unfortunately there's a good bit of truth in the post
In what way was it exaggerated?

I have wanted to become a photographer and start a blog titled "Litter in Mississippi".. I mean it is an honest, absolute joke how much trash there is on the side of every roadway, in every parking lot, creek, stream, river, woods, anywhere you can possibly think of.

We literally live in absolute filth. Especially the closer you get to the city limits of Jackson. I've wanted to stop and take pictures of the amount of trash in some places but there are usually people "posted up" staring you down.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:41 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakristen92 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Flowood, MS next Friday. I have never been there and he has never lived so I just wanted to get some locals advice...

1. Outdoorsy things to do? Like hiking, kayaking, four wheeler trails, fishing, etc. We love the outdoors and will drive up to an hour to be outside.

2. Best restaurants around?

3. How do yall like Flowood? What's there to do there?

4. Any locals recommend ANYTHING?
While there's nothing I like more, than discussing rotting corpses lying around in plastic bags in the woods, unopened because everybody's assuming they're just deer (or the 'losers' from one of the many clandestine Pit Bull fights out in the woods surrounding Jackson, and in the vast near-deserted districts of Jackson), the Original Poster DID ask about things other than outdoor actividizzz. So, I'll give categories 2., 3., and 4. a try:

2. Babalu, IMHO, is the very best dining experience. https://eatbabalu.com/ Food's fantastic, too. The ambiance is Havana/Florida Keys, and so is deliberately gritty. It's aimed at Millennials, but movers-&-shakers of all ages are to be seen there. Really, It's high-concept, and a large team is there to make sure that your experience is consistently top-notch. But that's very successfully disguised - everything SEEMS to have just 'evolved'. The Jackson location is the original. Lots of talent comes out of Mississippi (but eventually escapes...).

Beagle Bagel http://www.thebeaglebagelcafe.com/ is a local chain, and any of their locations are great for a quick bite. It attracts the private school students/parents crowd, and offers a wide range of deli items. The Madison location is in one of the most beautiful buildings in the metro area - like a billionaires' hunting lodge in the North of France. Going there means going to the building which contains Circle 7 https://circle7online.com/ (outfitters to outdoorsey types like yourselves, Circle7 is where you'll meet the sort of people who OWN the beautiful private lands, where the best hunting/lakes/trails are to be found. Truly, the clientele - and the store's breathtaking outdoorsman Owner - look like they've stepped out of a Ralph Lauren Country photoshoot).

And, in the lofty, cupola-topped, barn-in-Bridgehampton-type breezeway between Circle 7 and Beagle Bagle, there's Brez (Brez - Shaved Ice and Tamales), a place to get HAUTE Sno-Cones (upgraded from peasant sno-cones, surely, for the wealthy Catholic kids from the adjacent school, and all the wealthy docs & bankers from Madison's many posh clinics & banks) and (for the sugar-sensitive among us), FABULOUS TAMALES. Tamales, in Mississippi, are more Sicilian than Mexican (thanks to the Signa family), and are one of the few things that Mississippi does better than anywhere else. I mean, where else can you enjoy HAUTE-sno-cones and Tamales, alfresco-style, beneath the cupola of a Normandy-style "barn"?

'Bravo!' is great for 'date nights' and power lunches. This place offers the total experience, and is aggressively managed, to provide on-trend, up-to-the-minute food and ambience. You can't go wrong: https://bravobuzz.com/ It's in Highland Village, which was a beautiful and expensively-built 1970s 'lifestyle center'. However, new owners from the New York Megalopolis gave Highland Village a Mafia-Princess-style, "Paint everything white!" makeover. But anyway, what's left of 'Fashionable Northeast Jackson' (http://www.eastoverneighborhood.com/history/) surrounds Highland Village, and the 'Bravo!' crowd still includes much wealth, and many power brokers. The Main Dining Area has windows on both long walls, while the ceiling is now painted dark. At lunch, I cannot imagine more flattering lighting. So, now, more than ever, it's THE "place to be seen".

3. Flowood is pretty nice. Dogpatch Festival Marketplace (Oops! I mean 'Dogwood Festival Marketplace'), is just to the east of you, and offers pretty-much every retail/dining experience that most people would want or need. It's newish, and fun-looking, in a Postmodern, plastic-stucco kind of way. The canned music is marginally less obnoxious than in Madison County, and the staff in the stores are WAY nicer than in Madison County. But, since Jackson's retailers have largely fled the "People of Jackson", there's noplace much left in Jackson, to shop. Guess where Jackson's less-wealthy shoppers go? ....to Dogpatch Festival Marketplace, of course! Jacksonians are not so much a threat, in the stores, as they are on ultra-dangerous Lakeland Drive, between Jacktown and Flowood, where they don't drive very well. Jacksonians are AFRAID to go into Madison, where bad drivers are pulled-over - PRONTO, and where private citizens are apt to snap your tag number and VIN number, and sniff your vehicle for drug odors - and where the judges love to slap miscreants with million-Dollar-bail amounts. Those Rankin County boys, on the other hand, are more likely to simply make you disappear without a trace.

4. As a former local, I highly recommend that you discover the nice part of Florida (as far from Miami as you can get). As little as six hours from Flowood, the stretch from Pensacola Beach to Rosemary Beach, basically, offers some of the most gorgeous sand and water in the world - and lots of gorgeous Southerners and Midwesterners. The stereotypical types from the New York Megalopolis tend to go to Florida's Atlantic Coast/Miami Megalopolis.

Stay away from New Orleans and Mississippi's Gulf Coast. Try Acadiana (Lafayette) and the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain (Mandeville) instead, if you want the Louisiana experience. (both places offer a LOT of excellent outdoor options, by the way). Festival International de Louisiane is coming up, and is equal in sophistication, to Charleston's Spoleto Festival : https://festivalinternational.org/

Join a good gym - or two. The climate there is NOT conducive to much outdoor activity. Working-out is basically ALL there is to do in the Jackson area (aside from Church and shopping - and Swinging, which is really big around Jackson). It's generally too hot, and too humid. So, people go INDOORS to exercise - every day, since there's NOTHING else worth doing. That's one reason Rankin County has some of the most beautiful men on the planet (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cw3nwHF2m1..._7600848_n.jpg)
And now, back to that business about carcasses in plastic bags in the woods (and dumped on the streets). You know, there are giant Feral Pigs rooting-around, out in those woods, who need to feed their babies. Giant feral pig killed by Mississippi farmers in corn field | Delta Farm Press If you boys would leave your dead deer, and the discarded "collateral damage" from your Pit-Bull-fighting rings, OUT WHERE THE WILD BOARS (Hog Wild: Booming wild hog population threatens health, ecosystem - The Dispatch) COULD FIND THEM, then maybe the boars wouldn't need to snatch so many toddlers from boomcars in Dollarstore parking lots (the thumping seems to attract hungry wild pigs).

And the packs of wild dogs roaming the ruins of Jackson, if carcasses were not encased in plastic, could eat those carcasses, instead of eating the animals at the Zoo ("Wild Dogs Kill 6 Zoo Animals, Injure 2 Geese" by Jackblog | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS), and going after the students at Jackson State University (JSU puts out warning about pack of wild dogs on campus - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS).

You boys have got to start "thinking ecological". If nothing else, there are the Buzzards to consider. The bodies lying around Jackson (Severed head, headless body discovered - CNN Video), have promoted the presence of large flocks of Buzzards (most of the bodies are never found, because they're concealed by the area's abundant underbrush). One flock roosts atop the UMC Wellness Center, in Flowood. Other flocks adopt neighborhoods: Buzzards roost atop 'Extreme Makeover' house.

Those buzzards have babies, you know, and would appreciate an extra deer, or the various sorts of carcases left-over from your dogfighting activities (Arrests Made in Dog Fighting Ring in Canton - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS AND Rankin County man charged with felony dog fighting and animal cruelty) . Buzzards can't peck through those plastic bags. So, I'm going to close with a song. Let's let Miss Mary Poppins put you in the proper bird-feeding spirit: https://vimeo.com/138064997

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-06-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I am so glad you all didn't reply to my thread about moving to TN 5 years ago. I'd have been chaining myself to the radiator in my home in the megalopolis that is NYC. The poor OP asked for help and advice on places to go where she is moving in 1 week (less now). She didn't ask to be scared for her life with only 1 partly helpful response.

Shame on you all. If you have such hatred for where you live, do something about it. Vote out those who aren't making the necessary changes. Stand up and form a citizens action group. You CAN make a difference.

OP, there is a problem with abandoned/dumped former pets who weren't spayed in most of the mid-south and south. It is beyond sad. Although retired, my husband and I have formed a non-profit to raise funds to spay and neuter. MS has some great inexpensive clinics to fix the animals.

I am in MS at least once a week, often more. The people are generally kind and pleasant. I don't have info on Jackson itself but it will be what it is. In the meantime, make the best of things and keep in mind what the negative nellies have said, but don't let it get you down.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
In what way was it exaggerated?

I have wanted to become a photographer and start a blog titled "Litter in Mississippi".. I mean it is an honest, absolute joke how much trash there is on the side of every roadway, in every parking lot, creek, stream, river, woods, anywhere you can possibly think of.

We literally live in absolute filth. Especially the closer you get to the city limits of Jackson. I've wanted to stop and take pictures of the amount of trash in some places but there are usually people "posted up" staring you down.
On one of my forays to the middle east (BTW, the desert's lovely in the winter) a fellow Mississippian on his first trip remarked, "this reminds me of home, it's hot as hell, there's trash everywhere and everyone lives in trailers."

Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakristen92 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Flowood, MS next Friday. I have never been there and he has never lived so I just wanted to get some locals advice...

1. Outdoorsy things to do? Like hiking, kayaking, four wheeler trails, fishing, etc. We love the outdoors and will drive up to an hour to be outside.

2. Best restaurants around?

3. How do yall like Flowood? What's there to do there?

4. Any locals recommend ANYTHING?
I'll be helpful here.

1. Water sports are big here. The rez is huge (but shallow and stump filled), kayaking is good along with motorboating and fishing. There is a facebook site for kayaking. For powered boats, I'd rent the first few times, or better yet make friends with people with boats. For fishing, ask any of the old men at Pelehatchie Bay (on 471 just off Lakeland), go for breakfast around 0900 on a Saturday morning (don't be in a hurry). Not much hiking around here. No public ATV trails that I know of, but there are a couple of pay private places within a short drive. There are some hidden places you can ride, but you'll have to find those. The State does not cotton to people riding on state property/parks.

2. Depends on what you're into. Table 100 (check out the bar here) is likely the best in Flowood, followed by Half Shell, then Georgia Blue (the last two are local chains, but still good). There's more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. Dining in Madison/Ridgeland is just a short drive and restaurants aplenty await you there also.

3. It's good. If you're from the South, it will be like many other places. Church is a big deal, with Flowood sporting a mega church (not serious old school church, more like feel-good church). The bar scene is not big in Central MS and the nightclub scene is almost dead. An outdoor amphitheater is opening in Brandon soon, so hopefully, national acts will follow. College football is king, many of the hip locals will spend gameday Saturdays tailgating in the Grove or Junction. It's a huge spectacle and a lot of fun. Many times the game is secondary.

4. Turnip green bites at Georiga Blue.

If you have any questions about where to live or not live, or where to go/not go, PM me, I'll give you the real deal.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Shame on you all. If you have such hatred for where you live, do something about it. Vote out those who aren't making the necessary changes. Stand up and form a citizens action group. You CAN make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am in MS at least once a week, often more.

Another expert on Jackson who just happens to also not live in Jackson

Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 AM

I just noticed the OP is from Byhalia. Just think Olive Branch built around a big man made lake. One warning, Jackson and Memphis are quite different. Memphis has several enclaves that are nice and trendy and relatively safe, Jackson has two areas, Fondren and Highland Villiage and you still need to maintain a high level of situational awareness. If coming to be a student at UMC, living in Flowood is your best bet.

I realize Memphis is crime ridden, but Jackson is worse and with fewer nice areas.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Another expert on Jackson who just happens to also not live in Jackson
I made it clear I didn't consider myself an expert or even to have any knowledge of Jackson. I spoke about the people in MS and from the point of view of someone who left another location to move to the mid-south. What Jackson has to offer was not even mentioned by me. OR by the posters prior to me - including you.

The OP asked for specific info. It was not provided by the majority of those responding to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson