Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 06:23 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,235,798 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has posted this article here yet.

Why I Moved My Family from L. A. to Jackson, Mississippi

It just goes to show that Mississippi can get a hook stuck in you that can almost always reel you back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm surprised no one has posted this article here yet.

Why I Moved My Family from L. A. to Jackson, Mississippi

It just goes to show that Mississippi can get a hook stuck in you that can almost always reel you back in.
Thank you for sharing! I otherwise do not read that section of the magazine. There is quite a curveball in there.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Thank you for sharing! I otherwise do not read that section of the magazine. There is quite a curveball in there.

What is a "curveball"? And what about that article is a "curveball"?

There are actually a lot of nice places in Jackson. Unfortunately, the tattooed person attached to another tattooed person named "Courtenay" (not to be confused with 'The "No Ginger! Stay away from me!" River Hills Racquette Club Courtenay' Jackson Jambalaya: Ex-River Hills tennis pros sue attorney over firing), did not list any of them (except Eudora's home). What she listed, were the cliches - probably things she learned, decades back, before all that vodka affected her brain.

You visit Jackson, and they drag you into the wretched hellhole that is the 'Mayflower' (particularly if you're a bureaucrat being subtly bribed with free meals, by developers). Walker's is similarly grim. (However, on the bright side, there is Babalu, which is pretty great.)

But there's a whole industry among Mississippi kids who couldn't make it in big cities, who move home and write about how "colorful" everybody is. Same old themes, over and over. And they're sure to mention Civil Rights, as this is considered a sure ticket to fame and fortune (Worked for Faulkner, and for all the ones who came after him, and basically is REQUIRED, if you're a Mississippian and want to be published.). This is just more of the same.

The good part, is that someone has bought a home there. In Madison, the feeling is that it would be wonderful, if all the smokers, all the drinkers - all the "party people" - all the problem people nobody wants to be around - all the bad drivers - all the druggies - all the mental cases - all the sports fans and "creepy joiner types" would move to Jackson, and make it "a little New Orleans". This would provide a certain sort of CONTAINMENT, which would allow Madison's workaholic superachievers to concentrate on goals, free of irritating people.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
Concur on the Mayflower, I hate it! Unfortunately, I have to eat there often.

I think I know the author, father is a mid-level prominent lawyer and mother a doctor. If you come from a connected family (and don't do anything incredibly stupid) you will fit in and do well.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Concur on the Mayflower, I hate it!
I do like their comeback though! It's the best!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Quote:

I think I know the author, father is a mid-level prominent lawyer and mother a doctor. If you come from a connected family (and don't do anything incredibly stupid) you will fit in and do well.
The family is headed by a lesbian couple.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Ces deux?
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/f...ebrations.html
et
https://www.marthastewartweddings.co...edding-weekend
A Luau-Tiki-wedding? Did Larrison grow up in Hattiesburg? You know, I learned so much, going to Luau-style pool parties in Hattiesburg. First, I learned that many of the husbands wanted to get my husband alone, in the poolhouse, in a gazebo, in various sheds and garages and garçonnières and bushes. (and no, he did NOT want to put on swim trunks, and definitely did not need any help putting one on - not that there's anything wrong with that) But more importantly, I learned how to dress for a dressy party, when there's going to be heat and humidity. Those Hattiesburg girls know how to dress-to-the-nines, while wearing minimal amounts of fabric. It's ALL about construction and accessories, honey. Such lessons prepared me for gatherings in Palm Beach and Cap Ferrat, and I am eternally grateful.

In any event, ViverLibre was referring to Larrison's PARENTS. It's common practice among Jackson's more prosperous professionals, to aid in the establishment and continuation of their children's creative careers.

The most entertaining thing in Mississippi, by far, is Mississippi Magazine's Wedding Register. https://www.google.com/search?q=Miss...w=1185&bih=737 Older issues were more revealing, but it's still a good read. In it, you will discover the sagas of the children of many prominent physicians. The First Baptist Churches of Mississippi's larger towns, seem to be a recurring theme. Another theme, seems to be that many of these fabulous weddings are seen as opportunities for launching the creative careers of the kids getting married.

And they ARE fabulous weddings. They have THEMES, just like beauty pageants. One big Eastover wedding, which received THREE PAGES IN TOWN & COUNTRY, had a 'Moonlight & Roses' theme. In Jackson, you're nobody, if wedding guests from out-of-town, do not find GIFT BAGS waiting in their hotel rooms. The gift bags, of course, are stamped with the wedding's own custom graphics. And so it goes...
So, including the Groom's band's new CD, seems a natural. And, if it's mentioned in Mississippi Magazine - or the launch of the Bride's new Hollywood something-or-other gets a write-up, what can it hurt?

I'll bet those Jackson folks taught Martha Stewart a thing or two, about how to do a wedding.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Uh, yeah. Thought that was obvious from the article.

There aren't many lesbian couples moving back to Jackson from LA. In this case, neither the couple, nor "well to do" parents, are afraid to celebrate their lesbianism.

Last edited by viverlibre; 06-21-2018 at 09:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 01:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Quote:
Uh, yeah. Thought that was obvious from the article.

There aren't many lesbian couples moving back to Jackson from LA. In this case, neither the couple, nor "well to do" parents, are afraid to celebrate their lesbianism.
I misinterpreted your comment. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson