U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 PM
 
776 posts, read 797,289 times
Reputation: 880

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Jackson is a lost cause. The reason is that nobody will elect the right leadership. Oh sure, Jackson will not go away but it will sink further and further. RIP
People not only in Jackson but the state as a whole are unable to grasp the concept that you can't keep electing the same people and expect a different result.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,382 posts, read 1,011,823 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's really a shame that Jackson has gone downhill so badly. As a kid, we'd go to the zoo there with no fear for safety at all. Jackson was a vibrant town, and it had fairly explosive growth in the 60s and 70s. I'm not sure what happened to make it basically unlivable now. I grew up in Meridian, and it was a really nice, safe town then with good public schools. I went back a few years ago for a high school reunion and it was unbelivable ... most things downtown were boarded up. And I understand it's quite dangerous too.
Quite a few things have changed since the 60s and 70s. The metro areas of both are actually still growing. I'm still not sure why people get caught up in city limits, I mean we all understand the dynamics of what happened with cities in this country. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Birmingham is on a roll, there are a lot of good things happening there, same with NOLA - both still have many issues though. Memphis has its issues, but it has the downtown/Beale Street area and a few other right spots. I haven't heard much good about Montgomery or Macon, but I know several people who absolutely love Savannah.
"On a roll" is a stretch. They simply have begun investing in small areas of downtown rather than continuing the suburban sprawl. Overall metro growth is on par with everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Jackson is a lost cause. The reason is that nobody will elect the right leadership. Oh sure, Jackson will not go away but it will sink further and further. RIP
The people in Jackson will continue to elect the same people. The only way to change it is for more people to move into Jackson and vote them out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
5,343 posts, read 3,094,291 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Quite a few things have changed since the 60s and 70s. The metro areas of both are actually still growing. I'm still not sure why people get caught up in city limits, I mean we all understand the dynamics of what happened with cities in this country. It's not rocket science.


"On a roll" is a stretch. They simply have begun investing in small areas of downtown rather than continuing the suburban sprawl. Overall metro growth is on par with everything else.


The people in Jackson will continue to elect the same people. The only way to change it is for more people to move into Jackson and vote them out.
And that's probably not going to happen because of those "unmentionable" dynamics you referred to. Maybe that's why Huntsville is annexing more land almost on a daily basis. Instead of "land-grabbing", maybe there was some thought behind the actions. Jackson isn't surrounded by towns like B'ham is; maybe they should try annexation ... but the current leaders don't want that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 03:00 PM
 
776 posts, read 797,289 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And that's probably not going to happen because of those "unmentionable" dynamics you referred to. Maybe that's why Huntsville is annexing more land almost on a daily basis. Instead of "land-grabbing", maybe there was some thought behind the actions. Jackson isn't surrounded by towns like B'ham is; maybe they should try annexation ... but the current leaders don't want that.
And who places around Jackson do you want to annex?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of TN, AL and FL
1,382 posts, read 1,011,823 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And that's probably not going to happen because of those "unmentionable" dynamics you referred to. Maybe that's why Huntsville is annexing more land almost on a daily basis. Instead of "land-grabbing", maybe there was some thought behind the actions. Jackson isn't surrounded by towns like B'ham is; maybe they should try annexation ... but the current leaders don't want that.
Madison, Ridgeland, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Richland, Brandon, Flowood.....you were saying?

Annexation isn’t always good. I personally think Dallas Fanning took it to far in HSV. Schools are suffering.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM
 
776 posts, read 797,289 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Madison, Ridgeland, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Richland, Brandon, Flowood.....you were saying?

Annexation isn’t always good. I personally think Dallas Fanning took it to far in HSV. Schools are suffering.
Most of those cities would fight like hell if Jackson tried to annex them and rightfully so. Like you pointed out annexation isn't always a good thing. I know Madison tried to annex Germantown but the people there said no.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 AM
 
1,691 posts, read 1,254,227 times
Reputation: 1621
Annexation can definitely go to far. I have lived in Jackson before, as well as Brandon and Pearl and currently live in Memphis. Memphis would be an example of a city that took annexation too far. As Memphis' core (ie inside of the I-240\I-40 loop around the city) lost population, city leaders basically chased that population and tax dollars by annexing Raleigh, Whitehaven, Cordova & Hickory Hill. The result is a city that is huge in terms of square miles but just a medium-sized city in terms of population and the physical size has strained Memphis' ability to maintain infrastructure and provide police and fire service to all areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 10,629,080 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Annexation can definitely go to far. I have lived in Jackson before, as well as Brandon and Pearl and currently live in Memphis. Memphis would be an example of a city that took annexation too far. As Memphis' core (ie inside of the I-240\I-40 loop around the city) lost population, city leaders basically chased that population and tax dollars by annexing Raleigh, Whitehaven, Cordova & Hickory Hill. The result is a city that is huge in terms of square miles but just a medium-sized city in terms of population and the physical size has strained Memphis' ability to maintain infrastructure and provide police and fire service to all areas.
Whitehaven was annexed about 1970. It was an independent town before then. At the time, it was a thriving community. Things began to change around 1980 and now it is a lot like west Jackson. Whitehaven was the site of Southland, the Memphis area’s first indoor shopping mall. It opened in the 1960s. It is still in operation, while the Mall of Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall, and Raleigh Springs Mall are all gone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 10,629,080 times
Reputation: 7168
Who was Jackson’s last good mayor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,108 posts, read 2,276,484 times
Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Whitehaven was annexed about 1970. It was an independent town before then. At the time, it was a thriving community. Things began to change around 1980 and now it is a lot like west Jackson. Whitehaven was the site of Southland, the Memphis area’s first indoor shopping mall. It opened in the 1960s. It is still in operation, while the Mall of Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall, and Raleigh Springs Mall are all gone.
Last time I went to Southland Mall, about 15 years ago, I heard a black guy say "Look at that white dude" as I was walking in the door.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top