Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Same here. We live over 2 hours away and drove to Jackson for the Museum of Natural Science, the Old Capitol, food, and a driving/walking tour of downtown. I think tourism in Jackson is mostly the day trip variety, but if there were more national/regional type destinations it may garner more attention. But any outside money is good money, right?

Next time we will likely hit the Civil Rights Museum, maybe Smith Robertson, and Farrish Street/Big Apple Inn for some smokes...
I went for the Civil Rights Museum and really enjoyed it. They did a wonderful job on the displays. When you go make sure it's early due to alot to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 01:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
I went and ate downtown and hung out for a little while afterwards. Lot of cool things going on in Fondren.

All I can say about ACTUAL downtown Jackson is that it has so much potential. The area between Hal and Mals all the way to Cathead/Convention Center could blow up with the right touch.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Same here. We live over 2 hours away and drove to Jackson for the Museum of Natural Science, the Old Capitol, food, and a driving/walking tour of downtown. I think tourism in Jackson is mostly the day trip variety, but if there were more national/regional type destinations it may garner more attention. But any outside money is good money, right?

Next time we will likely hit the Civil Rights Museum, maybe Smith Robertson, and Farrish Street/Big Apple Inn for some smokes...
Unfortunately for Jackson, after those stops too much of that day trip money is going to Flowood, Madison and Ridgeland in the way of shopping, dining and buying gas. Jackson is a long way from developing any serious tourism dollars but can do some things now to draw more suburban residents into Jackson to spend entertainment dollars. Working with the State to redevelop the little-used Golf Course at Lefleur's Bluff into a zoo would be a great start. You would have six draws within a mile or two of each other. Work with whoever to see if the North Jackson Youth Ball Fields can be moved, they are taking up valuable estate that has a ton of potential; bars, restaurants, etc., can move into the area formally occupied by the ball fields (which are rarely in use).

Old 07-22-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Unfortunately for Jackson, after those stops too much of that day trip money is going to Flowood, Madison and Ridgeland in the way of shopping, dining and buying gas. Jackson is a long way from developing any serious tourism dollars but can do some things now to draw more suburban residents into Jackson to spend entertainment dollars. Working with the State to redevelop the little-used Golf Course at Lefleur's Bluff into a zoo would be a great start. You would have six draws within a mile or two of each other. Work with whoever to see if the North Jackson Youth Ball Fields can be moved, they are taking up valuable estate that has a ton of potential; bars, restaurants, etc., can move into the area formally occupied by the ball fields (which are rarely in use).
Shopping and buying gas, yes, I'd say Flowood, Madison and Ridgeland are much better (mainly because you don't want the hassle of getting shot while doing those things). But for dining....uh, nope. Give me Jackson Proper every time, with the exception of a few places in Ridgeland. Rankin County is woefully weak in the restaurant department, outside of a few burger joints and donuts.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Shopping and buying gas, yes, I'd say Flowood, Madison and Ridgeland are much better (mainly because you don't want the hassle of getting shot while doing those things). But for dining....uh, nope. Give me Jackson Proper every time, with the exception of a few places in Ridgeland. Rankin County is woefully weak in the restaurant department, outside of a few burger joints and donuts.
For a city the size of Jackson (and being the capital city), the number of type of restaurants where out of towners usually eat is lacking. Likley a couple dozen at best. Sure there are hidden gems like E&L and Bullys, but tourist types and suburban entertainment seekers aren't going to those restaurants in big numbers.

Just look at High Street, one of the main gateways to the city, Daves BBB (only open and lunch) and mostly fast food.

I think he number of quasi upscale restaurants in Ridgeland/Madison/Flowood, outshine those in Jackson, but Cultivation Hall (I haven't been yet) is a great step in the right direction.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:15 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
I think he number of quasi upscale restaurants in Ridgeland/Madison/Flowood, outshine those in Jackson, but Cultivation Hall (I haven't been yet) is a great step in the right direction.
I really want to see your list of Ridgeland, Madison and Flowood restaurants that outshine Jackson. Table 100 and?

Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I really want to see your list of Ridgeland, Madison and Flowood restaurants that outshine Jackson. Table 100 and?
Restaurants don't have to be upscale to be good either. I enjoy a hole in the wall with good food more than a fancy place most of the time. I would think Jackson has them beat there.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You must not get out much! More restaurants of this type in the burbs. For at least the past 25 years, Shapley's has been the gold standard of restaurants in the metro.

I did not list common chain restaurants like Applebees, nor out of the way restaurants like Cerchales on Hwy 80 or Mermaid at Lake Caroline. Also, I did not list narrowly focused restaurants like Greek, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, etc. (except for Keifer's, its an institution!).

Again these are restaurants where out of towners will normally dine.

The lists below (mostly from Trip Advisor) are in no particular order.

Jackson

Walker's Drive-In
Lou's Full-Serv
The Pig & Pint
Char Restaurant
Parlor Market
The Iron Horse Grill
Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint
Babalu Tapas & Tacos
The Manship
Keifer's Restaurant
Saltine
Drago's Seafood Restaurant
BRAVO! Italian Restaurant & Bar
Mayflower Cafe
Brent's Drugs
1908 Provisions
The Bulldog
Estelle Wine Bar & Bistro
Broad Street Baking Company and Cafe
Fine & Dandy
Scrooge's
Hal & Mal's Restaurant
Basil's Fondren
Barrel House
Martins
Rosters
Daves BBB
(add in the restaurants in Cultivation Hall, I haven't been there)

Madison/Ridgeland/Flowood
Amerigo Italian Restaurant
Local 463 Urban Kitchen
Trace Grill
Anjou Restaurant
**** of The Walk Restaurant
Ely's Restaurant
MM Shapley's Restaurant
Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
Burgers and Blues
Tico's
Georgia Blue (multiple locations)
Soulshine Pizza Factory (multiple locations)
Hamil's Barbeque
Sombra Mexican Kitchen
Another Broken Egg Cafe
Kathryns Steaks & Seafood
Primos Cafe
P.F. Chang's
Strawberry Cafe
Sal & Phil's
Koestler Prime Steakhouse
Lost Pizza (multiple locations)
Shucker's Oyster Bar`
Doe’s Eat Place
Bonefish Grill
Rossini Cucina Italiana
Fratesi's
McB's Restaurant
Table 100
Half Shell
Cerami's
Eslava's
Fannin Mart
Jo’s
Sombra
Old Fannin Restaurant
Shaggy’s

Old 07-23-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You must not get out much! More restaurants of this type in the burbs. For at least the past 25 years, Shapley's has been the gold standard of restaurants in the metro.

I did not list common chain restaurants like Applebees, nor out of the way restaurants like Cerchales on Hwy 80 or Mermaid at Lake Caroline. Also, I did not list narrowly focused restaurants like Greek, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, etc. (except for Keifer's, its an institution!).

Again these are restaurants where out of towners will normally dine.

The lists below (mostly from Trip Advisor) are in no particular order.

Jackson

Walker's Drive-In
Lou's Full-Serv
The Pig & Pint
Char Restaurant
Parlor Market
The Iron Horse Grill
Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint
Babalu Tapas & Tacos
The Manship
Keifer's Restaurant
Saltine
Drago's Seafood Restaurant
BRAVO! Italian Restaurant & Bar
Mayflower Cafe
Brent's Drugs
1908 Provisions
The Bulldog
Estelle Wine Bar & Bistro
Broad Street Baking Company and Cafe
Fine & Dandy
Scrooge's
Hal & Mal's Restaurant
Basil's Fondren
Barrel House
Martins
Rosters
Daves BBB
(add in the restaurants in Cultivation Hall, I haven't been there)

Madison/Ridgeland/Flowood
Amerigo Italian Restaurant
Local 463 Urban Kitchen
Trace Grill
Anjou Restaurant
**** of The Walk Restaurant
Ely's Restaurant
MM Shapley's Restaurant
Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
Burgers and Blues
Tico's
Georgia Blue (multiple locations)
Soulshine Pizza Factory (multiple locations)
Hamil's Barbeque
Sombra Mexican Kitchen
Another Broken Egg Cafe
Kathryns Steaks & Seafood
Primos Cafe
P.F. Chang's
Strawberry Cafe
Sal & Phil's
Koestler Prime Steakhouse
Lost Pizza (multiple locations)
Shucker's Oyster Bar`
Doe’s Eat Place
Bonefish Grill
Rossini Cucina Italiana
Fratesi's
McB's Restaurant
Table 100
Half Shell
Cerami's
Eslava's
Fannin Mart
Jo’s
Sombra
Old Fannin Restaurant
Shaggy’s
Jackson wins that hands down. Most of the stuff in the burbs is chain garbage, for the sheep. This is not a debate.

Forget Trip Advisor, I go by experience. The biggest problem is that if some out-of-towner sees this post, they might actually think those burbs restaurants are the best Jackson has to offer, and that is false, by a long shot.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:13 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Viverlibre, I like your list, pretty comprehensive. But I think the quality of the suburbs list drops off much more quickly than the city list. **** of the Walk? Lost Pizza? PF Changs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson