Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:26 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is USM the “third wheel” of Mississippi universities?
I may be misremembering this but when I looked hard at the Mississippi schools for college USM actually had the largest total enrollment of the three. Ole Miss was actually pretty small back then (1980ish) and MSU was close to the size of USM, but visiting USM they made hay about being the largest school.

As to the question. I would think Jackson would have certainly moved in the direction of the cities that do have a flagship university/state capital situation. Columbia, SC would maybe be the closest comparison IMO?

That being said, Ole Miss and Oxford are a national treasure. MSU/Starkville has the perfect feel for a small state Ag school and USM reminds you of a teachers college in a nicely sized college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 02:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What is Delta State's function?
Educating people in the Delta.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:14 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I may be misremembering this but when I looked hard at the Mississippi schools for college USM actually had the largest total enrollment of the three. Ole Miss was actually pretty small back then (1980ish) and MSU was close to the size of USM, but visiting USM they made hay about being the largest school.

As to the question. I would think Jackson would have certainly moved in the direction of the cities that do have a flagship university/state capital situation. Columbia, SC would maybe be the closest comparison IMO?

That being said, Ole Miss and Oxford are a national treasure. MSU/Starkville has the perfect feel for a small state Ag school and USM reminds you of a teachers college in a nicely sized college town.
Ha!!

Old 07-23-2019, 04:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Ha!!
There is certainly a population of people who believe so, although I can't say that I understand it. Wife and I looked at it years ago and found it to be a nice small college town, but it basically has everything every other town in the country of its size has. Suburban strip malls, fast food, and a restored town square with a handful of college bars. The red brick campus is handsome. There is very little in the realm of outdoor recreation nearby.

There is a good focus on local eateries there, but I assumed that was because the town is too small to support much other than local places. Demographically-speaking, it is rural, with a county-wide population of 50,000 or so. It is not particularly affluent by any measure.

An example of that "belief" came across my twitter earlier this year. There was an article in Garden & Gun or Southern Living (same diff) about a new "upscale craft cocktail lounge" opening in Oxford. The article included pictures and a description of the exciting new concoctions, soon to change the cocktail experience in Oxford.

The concept of "upscale craft cocktail lounge" in college towns everywhere is at least a decade old, to the point that it is nearly passe. There are probably a half dozen such places in our current college town home. Yet there was an article dedicated to one opening in Oxford, MS. In 2019.

I have to give the local chamber of commerce credit, I suppose. They sell it very well.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 PM

577 posts, read 562,664 times
I actually like Jackson's identity now in terms of Millsaps, greater Belhaven, Fondren, Eastover and Highland Village. The city, especially downtown, has a long ways to go, obviously, but I do think that overall in-town set of neighborhoods is unique and has real personality.

That said, I think the addition of the Renaissance area along Highland Colony, Madison and Hwy 463 out to Livingston, the reservoir communities Lost Rabbit and Arbor Landing (night time view with lights across the water is actually neat), and the Natchez Trace bike and walking path are all quite nice also.

Recently I'm liking the upgrades happening in Brandon (amphitheater and nascent downtown improvements) and the natural beauty of that area is pretty. And I think once they landscape the new part of Lakeland out in Flowood, assuming they do so, that area seems pretty nice also as a suburban area.

I have a theory that the next area for growth is going to be Flora. That's because the Germantown school zone is filling up pretty quickly with subdivisions, which leaves the area behind Annandale all the way over to Flora (which has Madison schools except for a the elementary school level) in the path of growth.

Families seeking schools will begin migrating in the direction of Flora behind Annandale and along Hwy 22. When I saw recently an ad about the Providence Hill Farm sporting club, which looks like something out of the Kentucky bluegrass region, and which is just across the line in Hinds County from the Flora school zone, I realized that this area 20 years from now will begin evolving into basically the new Madison.

On the whole, if they can get downtown going eventually and finish the one-lake project, I really think Jackson will end up being kind of a cool area. To really top it off though, I'd like to see another reservoir along the Big Black river in Madison County, designed to have communities kind of like Bay St. Louis and Ocean Springs dotting the shoreline throughout.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:05 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Educating people in the Delta.
Most of the people that attend Delta State aren't from the Delta.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:15 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I actually like Jackson's identity now in terms of Millsaps, greater Belhaven, Fondren, Eastover and Highland Village. The city, especially downtown, has a long ways to go, obviously, but I do think that overall in-town set of neighborhoods is unique and has real personality.

That said, I think the addition of the Renaissance area along Highland Colony, Madison and Hwy 463 out to Livingston, the reservoir communities Lost Rabbit and Arbor Landing (night time view with lights across the water is actually neat), and the Natchez Trace bike and walking path are all quite nice also.

Recently I'm liking the upgrades happening in Brandon (amphitheater and nascent downtown improvements) and the natural beauty of that area is pretty. And I think once they landscape the new part of Lakeland out in Flowood, assuming they do so, that area seems pretty nice also as a suburban area.

I have a theory that the next area for growth is going to be Flora. That's because the Germantown school zone is filling up pretty quickly with subdivisions, which leaves the area behind Annandale all the way over to Flora (which has Madison schools except for a the elementary school level) in the path of growth.

Families seeking schools will begin migrating in the direction of Flora behind Annandale and along Hwy 22. When I saw recently an ad about the Providence Hill Farm sporting club, which looks like something out of the Kentucky bluegrass region, and which is just across the line in Hinds County from the Flora school zone, I realized that this area 20 years from now will begin evolving into basically the new Madison.

On the whole, if they can get downtown going eventually and finish the one-lake project, I really think Jackson will end up being kind of a cool area. To really top it off though, I'd like to see another reservoir along the Big Black river in Madison County, designed to have communities kind of like Bay St. Louis and Ocean Springs dotting the shoreline throughout.
Agree with most all of this. Besides Flora, Brandon Proper and Pelahatchie will continue to grow as well. Rankin County is exploding. Brandon has a unique chance to capture a lot of entertainment dollars and become sort of a different metro because it is wet, and Rankin County is not becoming wet anytime soon, so everyone in the county will drive to Brandon to go out to eat.

I do think Clinton has a 'chance' to continue growing, with Continental, but I think a lot of people will drive into Continental from other areas. Not many people want to live in Bennie Thompson's district.

Pearl River really does seem to divide Jackson into 2 metro areas.

Last edited by Mississippi Alabama Line; 07-24-2019 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 AM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
There is certainly a population of people who believe so, although I can't say that I understand it.
Let me explain then. First, you apparently are from NW Arkansas. And in some ways I can see why you don't see why Ole Miss and Oxford are any big thing because Fayetteville is very similar.

But Oxford is a national treasure due to it's history (civil rights and southern literature) and it's overall ambiance as the truly sleepy small southern elitist social university. While Fayetteville has some of that same element, it has kind of evolved past it's status as a "small college town". And while Oxford is slowly evolving away from that as well, it still is identified that way more so than anyplace else (among state universities).

Had the University been placed in Jackson, it would be a lot different. Much less a residential university and more a commuter university. But I'm sure it would have been a good thing for Jackson.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 AM

184 posts, read 205,323 times
This is stupid, Ole miss is not the "flagship" university of the state. The state has many different universities and university systems. You would call Ole Miss a "flagship" if majority of the schools in Mississippi were under the "University of Mississippi" system with Ole miss being the largest school .

Also, Ole miss is nothing special, still racist as ever. Miss State too but with slightly less upper middle class bible thumpers. USM is actually a large school 15,000+ students, (a lot larger than Delta State) and the academics are more rigorous than Delta State. I have attended both. USM is the only major school in Mississippi that has a liberal vibe where you can just be yourself. The coastal area of the state is like a different state. The people that come from there are more accepting, it's a nice change.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:41 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
This is stupid, Ole miss is not the "flagship" university of the state. The state has many different universities and university systems. You would call Ole Miss a "flagship" if majority of the schools in Mississippi were under the "University of Mississippi" system with Ole miss being the largest school .

Also, Ole miss is nothing special, still racist as ever. Miss State too but with slightly less upper middle class bible thumpers. USM is actually a large school 15,000+ students, (a lot larger than Delta State) and the academics are more rigorous than Delta State. I have attended both. USM is the only major school in Mississippi that has a liberal vibe where you can just be yourself. The coastal area of the state is like a different state. The people that come from there are more accepting, it's a nice change.
The students from Asia and Africa at Ole Miss don’t appear to be deterred by its “racism”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson