Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:46 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Think of how different Jackson would be had it been the location of the state’s flagship university. Why was it not selected to be the site of the University of Mississippi or Mississippi A&M (now Mississippi State)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 06:49 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Think of how different Jackson would be had it been the location of the state’s flagship university. Why was it not selected to be the site of the University of Mississippi or Mississippi A&M (now Mississippi State)?
It wouldn't be that different in my opinion. Same type of events still would occur and people on here will still speak of it's stagnant or crime ridden landscape.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I don't live there, but, respectfully, please don't hold it against me if I overstep my bounds, and if I do please forgive me.

This just my opinion. I think Jackson would probably be alot different than it is now, if it was the home of Mississippi's flagship university.

There would be alot more well educated people living in Jackson and the metro area. Well educated people generally have a higher income and more money to spend, so the economy would be alot stronger, bringing more stores and restaraunts and jobs. Public schools, roads and parks would also be alot better.

A large population of students brings a younger vibe and energy to the city, meaning more events and activities and fun things to do.

If Jackson was home to the state's flagship university, at this point in history, I would guess the city and metro of Jackson would be in a full state of population boom like never before in it's history, given the current trend of American cities that are home to Flagship State run universitys are among the fastest growing cities in their state, many of them more than doubling in population in the past 40 years.

Being that we are now living in what is called the "Information Age", the college towns seems to be the future of American cities since the employers will be recruiting people with brains rather than brawn. A city that is home to a Flagship university has a very bright future; and if that city is also home to the state capital, the future looks even brighter.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:28 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
I'd have rather seen Ole Miss stay where it is, and Mississippi State located in Meridian. Then you could put a satellite campus in Starkville to take advantage of the soil. Then USM likely does not exist, or if it does, it stays a smaller teacher school.

Jackson is the capital city, so it's going to reflect what's going on in the whole state. There will always be something going on there, but its livelihood is reflected in the state economy. Plus, Milsaps, Belhaven, Jackson State and UMMC are already there.

I think the trends around college towns is just the current bubble, and based more around sports. When the student loan bubble pops, you'll see those areas drop back down to Earth.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:59 PM

It must have been some plantation owners from north Mississippi who got Ole Miss located where it is now. Another choice was Mississippi City, now part of Gulfport. Despite its grand name, Mississippi City was never more than a small town.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'd have rather seen Ole Miss stay where it is, and Mississippi State located in Meridian. Then you could put a satellite campus in Starkville to take advantage of the soil. Then USM likely does not exist, or if it does, it stays a smaller teacher school.

Jackson is the capital city, so it's going to reflect what's going on in the whole state. There will always be something going on there, but its livelihood is reflected in the state economy. Plus, Milsaps, Belhaven, Jackson State and UMMC are already there.

I think the trends around college towns is just the current bubble, and based more around sports. When the student loan bubble pops, you'll see those areas drop back down to Earth.
Is USM the “third wheel” of Mississippi universities?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:43 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is USM the “third wheel” of Mississippi universities?
Not necessarily IMO, they have a necessary function, but it should be more in line with Delta State.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:45 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
MSU and UM should have been combined and moved to Jackson (there was a move to do that in the early 1900s - I think). The University would be 50K students and a power in athletics. Jackson would be a different city for sure.

Just in the past 10 years, dominating college football has had a huge positive impact on the University of Alabama.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Just in the past 10 years, dominating college football has had a huge positive impact on the University of Alabama.
Yet no one ever says they should close Auburn.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Not necessarily IMO, they have a necessary function, but it should be more in line with Delta State.
What is Delta State's function?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson