Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,357 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year the Jackson Convention Center claimed it was unable to make payroll and take care of its facility unless it was bailed out.

Tuesday night the Jackson City Council voted yes to send emergency funds to the facility till the end of September.

There were some heated moments between council members feeling Jackson taxpayers were taking on an unnecessary burden sending money for the convention staff, but even after this notion passed it shows both sides have a long way to go handling finances.

“I’ve been here thirty years, I was here when they started it, and I was there when they cut the ribbon and I haven’t heard a damn thing,” Councilman Kenneth Stokes argued as the issue was brought to the floor.

Showing frustration Councilman Stokes shared his issues with Jackson Convention executives feeling the board should fix their rates to suit locals to get more financially stable.

“Have as many activities as you can have by dropping the price,” Councilman Stokes stated. “It’s not doing us any good that nobody utilizes.”

“The reality is that Jackson is short on money,” Councilman Ashby Foote said. “And one of the things is that really concerns me in your presentation on a current status you immediately need $63,000 but then in ongoing needs you’ve got $67,000 per month.”

Though significantly lower than the original $131,000 needed thanks to recent convention customers paying their bills, an extra $67,000 in ongoing monthly needs can be costly to Jackson taxpayers. Even if only temporarily.

“There is a time frame in which the operations are going to be as they are,” SMG Regional General Manager Kelvin Moore told us. “We’ve estimated based on where the sales taxes are and the operating subsides are it would require $67,000 a month to fund that.”

The convention commission pointed to how we got here with a lack of activities centered around the convention center to attract more people, and no main hotel to attract bigger conventions resulting in a lack of expected revenue.

“So the event mix has resulted in fewer conventions and trade shows and more dependence on things like consumer shows, entertainment events, banquets, and local meetings,” Moore continued. “The resulting finances of that are the sales tax revenue was much lower than the original projections and the operating subsidies was much higher than the original projections.”

Convention board members also agreed to look into reforming their prices to fit more consumer candidates in Jackson. More meetings are to come soon with the Mayor to prevent more bailouts next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
This is an unfortunate situation that the current administration inherited. The convention center was likely never going to succeed, especially with no connected hotel and few restaurants/entertainment options within walking distance. Even with those amenities, few large national/regional conventions were going to book Jackson over Destin, Las Vegas and NOLA.

To make matters worse, Flowood has a hotel/convention center under construction that is located near a golf course and the airport.

Even if downtown Jackson is developed and takes off (which is years away if at all), large conventions still wouldn't pick Jackson over the already established locations (the convention center stays fairly busy hosting meetings of local/state organizations, but apparently this is not where the money is?). The best option may be getting the state to purchase it and take it over.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
To make matters worse, Flowood has a hotel/convention center under construction that is located near a golf course and the airport.
This is the death knell in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 PM

114 posts, read 223,307 times
Hello. Do you think that Jackson needs more people and a stronger economy for the support of the convention center?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
Hello. Do you think that Jackson needs more people and a stronger economy for the support of the convention center?
It needs more people and a stronger economy, period.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
This is the death knell in my opinion.
Maybe, maybe not.

If you've ever been involved with a conference, often people don't drive from the airport. That means being at the Flowood center you're staying on site, 24x7. That's ok for some conventions. Other conventions will be swayed by hearing "in Jackson you can walk to any of a dozen different eateries, and partake in evening entertainment."

Depends on the experience they're looking for. That being said, I would not be surprised if the JCC did absolutely no marketing and partnerships with the downtown restaurants and bars.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

If you've ever been involved with a conference, often people don't drive from the airport. That means being at the Flowood center you're staying on site, 24x7. That's ok for some conventions. Other conventions will be swayed by hearing "in Jackson you can walk to any of a dozen different eateries, and partake in evening entertainment."

Depends on the experience they're looking for. That being said, I would not be surprised if the JCC did absolutely no marketing and partnerships with the downtown restaurants and bars.
I hope you're right.

I never understood the whole thing about the JCC not having a hotel. The Westin is an easy walk, and you can go through the Museum of Art. It's actually a very pleasant walk.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I hope you're right.

I never understood the whole thing about the JCC not having a hotel. The Westin is an easy walk, and you can go through the Museum of Art. It's actually a very pleasant walk.
Or include extensive shuttle service as part of the deal. But again, I don't have confidence that JCC is thinking about that. I imagine them sitting and staring at the phone, waiting for it to ring. Checking their email every 5 minutes.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:36 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Is the path through the museum well-known and clearly marked? Is the museum open the same hours as the convention center (i.e., open when an after-hours mixer ends at 9:00pm?

Walking 2 blocks down the street in Mississippi August... or downtown after dark... or in the rain... not something someone from out of town would want to do.

Out-of-town convention attendees want to be able to quickly head back to their room as needed during the day, staying inside air-conditioned and dry space the entire time. OR, they want to stay some distance away in a cheaper hotel to save money. The Westin doesn't meet either criteria.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Is the path through the museum well-known and clearly marked? Is the museum open the same hours as the convention center (i.e., open when an after-hours mixer ends at 9:00pm?

Walking 2 blocks down the street in Mississippi August... or downtown after dark... or in the rain... not something someone from out of town would want to do.

Out-of-town convention attendees want to be able to quickly head back to their room as needed during the day, staying inside air-conditioned and dry space the entire time. OR, they want to stay some distance away in a cheaper hotel to save money. The Westin doesn't meet either criteria.
To your first 2 questions, No and No.

No one wants to walk in August heat or rain, which is why I suggested extensive shuttle service. But I doubt they're thinking about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: