U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM

11 posts, read 49,355 times

Advertisements

My husband's company wants him to relocate to their Jackson, MS office from the Chicago area. We have amazing friends and a church that we love and are struggling with leaving. I have read many entries saying how difficult it is to make friends and fit in there. We also have three children. Two are biological and our third is by adoption from South Korea. I noticed there are very few Asians in the population surrounding Jackson. He is accepted and loved here and I would regret putting him in any situation where he is judged because of his ethnicity and also that we are a multi-cultural family. I would appreciate any advice or insight that is helpful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 AM

314 posts, read 1,035,550 times
It's been my experience living here that the racial tensions in Mississippi are primarily black/white. Asians are a much smaller minority and tend to be accepted wherever they are.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 AM

That is pretty much what a couple people in the office in Jackson had said but I really wanted an opinion from someone who wasn't trying to get him to move there. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 AM

356 posts, read 1,272,016 times
I don't think you will have any problems being a multicultural family or having an Asian child. The important thing is to get involved in the community to meet new people. You will find it isn't as bad as some people on here make it out to be.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:42 AM

That's good to hear! We are very active in our church so hopefully that would help once we find a church. Also after doing some research online, it looks like Brandon or Clinton would be a good fit. We plan on taking a short trip down there and want to have a focus. Any advice?

Old 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM

356 posts, read 1,272,016 times
I have lived in both Brandon and Clinton and I like both. You might try looking in the Reservoir area. Flowood is part of the Reservoir area as well as Brandon. Either of them would be good. There are plenty of subdivisions to choose from. Tell me what kinds of things interest you and I'll try to be more help.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:50 PM

564 posts, read 2,209,308 times
Make sure you don't live in downtown Jackson. Find a suburb. For your safety.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 73,165 times
grahamfam,

Clinton and Brandon are great cities. But you might want to check out Madison and Ridgeland before you make your final decision. Madison is a top 10 small town to live in and Ridgeland is a top 100 in the U.S. Madison has a more family and inclusion feeling that I experienced. We lived in Ridgeland our first year here. We have been in Madison for seven years. We are also active with our church. Our neighborhood is made up of families of different nationalities: caucasian, African American, and Chinese. You would not have any problem with your family being accepted. Madison is home to more "relocated" families than Brandon and Clinton and their locations are not as convenient.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Actually we have had Madison recommended a few times. But I have also heard that all the women dress to the "T" to go anywhere, even the gas station. I like to look nice but there are times I have run to the grocery store in my sweats. I am not really an "image" type person. I've also heard that there is a lot of materialism. What is your experience?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 73,165 times
Dressing up to go to the grocery or gas station actually sounds like Northeast Jackson. There may be few "image" clicks, but for the most part Madison is very family oriented and open and friendly. As far as materialism, because of the influence of television I doubt there are very many areas in the US not affected to some degree. Madison is no different than Clinton or Brandon in this except that the median income in Madison may be slightly higher.
I recommend just visiting all your options. (Clinton, Brandon, or Madison)
Where your husband will be working may have a big influence because of his commute to work. My husband works off of Woodrow Wilson Blvd. in Jackson and it takes 15-20 from our home in Madison. But we also live in a neighborhood with easy access to the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson