U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 07:20 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,100,925 times

Advertisements

Dowager Soybean Empress saw this on the news, and said she heard, "Twenty Gunshots!", at which point her Butler exclaimed, "California tags!". Here, the number of shots is reported as "several". Not sure if this difference in reporting, is a matter of accuracy or numeracy, but still, the event described is SCARY! https://www.wapt.com/article/car-cra...venue/36673161

And here's video: https://www.wlbt.com/2021/06/09/watc...rgreen-street/

Wasn't there a house on once-lovely Colonial Circle, a few weeks back, that got crashed-into, twice in three days? https://www.wlbt.com/2021/03/23/afte...ngerous-curve/ (Mayor BabyChok is looking into the situation)

And it seems every time I'm looking-in on The Empress, the news is talking about another vehicle crashing into something, after gunshots (with or without dead people inside). https://www.wjtv.com/news/man-found-...on-archer-ave/

Surely there's a better way of attaining Mayor Lumumba's goal of transforming Jackson, Mississippi, into "The Most Radical City on the Planet".

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-09-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 11:08 AM

522 posts, read 679,743 times
It wasn't me!! We were on I-20 looking for the Abandoned World's Largest Mississippi River Model in Buddy Butts Park.

The car that crashed into the home in Jackson probably belonged to someone from Bakersfield, CA.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:40 PM

Default UPDATE: Car Crash Murder Victim Rapper Lil Lonnie to get JUSTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
It wasn't me!! We were on I-20 looking for the Abandoned World's Largest Mississippi River Model in Buddy Butts Park.

The car that crashed into the home in Jackson probably belonged to someone from Bakersfield, CA.
The people who crashed through that Jackson residence, were probably looking for Buddy Butts Park, too. I bet they were expecting it to be "The Buttonwillow Rest Stop of The Southeast". The park's name is, after all, totally suggestive of down-low action.

(I know about Buttonwillow, which is apparently somewhere between San Francisco and LA, as apparently is Bakersfield, following our attendance of a screening of a '70s "art film" about some California truckers, in the schmantzy screening room of a couple whom we immediately thereafter shunned - before they had a chance to drug our lemon seltzers. The "art film" was a blur of chinstrap beards, ugly bluejean jackets, strange leather contraptions, and cigars... and that''s BEFORE one gets to the film's unmentionable moments - as if bluejean jackets weren't unmentionable-enough, all by themselves)

Did you find that park? Was there love among the ruins (of the World's Largest Mississippi River Model)? Or did the mini-waterway merely contain the usual mixture of booze bottles & needles?

But aren't the flying cars mostly found inland from your house, up-Pasadena-way? Isn't that where the chap driving a Ford Focus, ended up in one of the signs over the freeway? (https://www.google.com/search?q=Pasa...iw=946&bih=559 ) I'll never forget that face! Clearly, this is a cautionary tale about driving recklessly in value-priced cars, why keeping one's monobrow is preferable to plucking, and the disfiguring effect of sideburns on the menfolk. You know how much I revere the huge specimen of Rosa Montecito, at Descanso Gardens, and how much I love taking Highway 2 over the mountains. So, when that poor child ended up tangled in the freeway sign, the location stuck in my head.

Truly, Seadory, we're relieved to know you didn't get shot-to-pieces, while driving in Jackson, trying to find some of the fabulous houses I've found for you, whose prices seem to still be going down, down DOWN, as their taxes go up, up UP! https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../3031571_zpid/ Part of that trend, surely, is due to this thread's theme: CARS CRASHING INTO HOUSES (and the people who're driving them - and the people who're shooting those people).

Which all leads us to today's update: Finally, there could be justice for famed Jackson Rapper Lil Lonnie, whose SUV crashed into a house on Montebello Drive, after someone shot him to death. https://www.wapt.com/article/trial-u...eath/36606478#

And let's all pause to remember Lil Lonnie and his positive message, by viewing a video he made in LA, before his tragic passing (Caution: Rap Lyrics ahead): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Eh1BCjS5w

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-21-2021 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 07:21 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,409,012 times
Quote:

That model was built at the site of Camp Clinton - a POW camp for German officers. Unfortunately, it has been neglected a long time.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:37 PM

Rest in Peace Lil Lonnie. And thank you GG for sharing Lonnie's closing act. A great lyricist is what he was.

No, I did not get to see the World's Largest Mississippi River Model! It used to be a German POW camp? Now THAT'S fascinating. Think about it. Pray tell who would construct a replicla of the MS River in Mississippi? I heard there were old go-cart tracts surrounding it. Then Suesbal says it used to be a POW camp for German Officers? Mississippi really IS an interesting place.

I"d never heard of Buttonwillow, but if what I just read is accurate it is close enough to Bakersfield in Kern County. Too dodgy for my taste. Conjures up images of cowgirls in bikini tops, daisy dukes, and great big belt buckles. Not safe. Very hot there in the San Joaquin Valley. I try to stay under wraps in the Long Beach, Lakewood area of CA. Bad enough here.

Every now and then we have a car careen into someones house. Sometimes they make their way into a swimming pool! Here's a recent event that occurred in Garden Grove. (Yet another place to avoid.)
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/...en-grove-pool/ Haven't seen many as grotesque as the one on the 5 that you posted.

Oh! Someone did launch their car into a friend's living room many years ago. It happened around 2:00 am, after the bars had closed. Fortunately, they were upstairs. No one was injured.

Benita had a nice house up there in Visalia. People there, especially women, look, act, dress differently than the southernmost part of CA. On the outskirts of Visalia you'll find the rodeo/cowboy culture.

Last edited by Seadory; 06-23-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 05:45 PM

Default Justice for Natasha! The carnage continues: one road - three deadly crashes in ONE WEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
That model was built at the site of Camp Clinton - a POW camp for German officers. Unfortunately, it has been neglected a long time.
Did the German Officers design and build the model? That would certainly explain where they found people with enough sense (and industriousness) to do such a thing.

I compete in snapping-up land, with a family from the Delta, whose return from Cotton Panic/Great Depression financial oblivion, was fueled by working German officer POWs on their plantations. Talk about GREAT LABOR!!!! Before the Germans came along, that family were so poor, they were one cup of kerosene away from not making it to town, to take their dying child to the doctor they couldn't pay (and no, kerosene does NOT run cars very well. They were DESPERATE).

But the Germans were so efficient, and so industrious - and so restorative of the plantations' various machines and infrastructure, that they undid all the damage which had been done by the normal Mississippi labor. This family no longer had a grand piano to move into the barn, so that the German officers could play it (as other plantation owners did), but they did become good friends with the Officers (continuing for generations, even after the officers' return to East Berlin - and despite the obvious origins of the Delta family https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...iw=945&bih=559).

Soon, that young couple had enough money to go down to New Orleans, where the artistic cousin there (all good Delta families send their artistic cousins to rot & die in New Orleans) found them all sorts of grand antique furniture. These were people who'd instantly gone from being members of Mississippi's Third Floor Ballroom Class (multiple grand homes, private railroad cars, finishing schools for the girls, medical school at Tulane or in New York, for the boys, summers in Pass Christian and, when hurricanes threatened, Eureka Springs...), to subsistence-level poverty (As Listener and I have discussed, NOBODY seems to have avoided that fate. EVERY family in the state, lost everything - either during 'The War', or in the century of upheavals following it). In this case, I think, the ballroom-capped town house burned, the plantation with their OTHER ballroom-capped country mansion, was lost, after a levee burst on it... along with the failure of the bank they'd owned, and the Cotton Panic of '25, which left most families destitute, after ALL the banks failed.

Along with the Mallard canopy beds, the big tapestries, and the banquet-sized neo-Jacobean dining table, the artistic New Orleans cousin found, for the monumental Italian Renaissance sideboard, the mirror after which The House of the Rising Sun had been named. It featured the 'Soleil d'Or' (emblem of "Sun King", Louis XIV), rendered in the most flawless gesso work, and the most flawless water gilding one could imagine. You'd think it was gilt bronze by Bernini, instead of plain-ol' gesso. Totally droolworthy.... I doubt it really was from Versailles. It's more likely from Haussmannian Paris. But the quality of workmanship and imagery was at least as good as something Boulle would have produced. I've seen the close-up photos, predating the "restoration". I weep, pondering the loss.

But oooooooh, that "restoration". The family sank into poverty, again. After the Germans were "sent-back", they tried labor from South-of-the-Border. But an attempt to discretely ask the Sheriff about the odd plant the laborers were smoking - and growing - resulted in the distinctly indiscreet wholesale deportation of ALL the imported labor, from EVERYBODY's plantation. Oops! Bummer....

However, one son of the reimpoverished family escaped Mississippi and its labor problems, and got private-jet-rich.... then got richer. As I said, we've been competing against each other for a while (and now, against Bill Gates and even worse), then one thing led to another, and I'm flying in to the otherwise-dying little town they've ended-up owning, in a "well, it just HAPPENED, Honey!", kind of way.

And the larger-than-life wife, who's already got a dossier on me..... knowing about the "family business" which produced me and my even-more-horrible uncles, naturally has to show me that mirror, since I "know all about bordellos". I think she was expecting devastation, but I was more interested in the story about how the wretched and klutzy patching and re-gilding happened.

Things were fine, until the dining room (with that baronial table and Errol-Flynn-Swashbuckler-worthy chairs... it's good to have artistic cousins in New Orleans) got an assertive new "theme color". Assertive colors and 120-year-old gilding, don't necessarily work together. (anyway, she likes the bright gold - not the dull gold - as do I, and so we found some common ground) So, she brought in a gold leaf expert, who was supposedly doing "museum-quality" work. But he had a drinking problem. And she doesn't have "The Oracle", to teach her about what's good gilding and what's not, like I do, so she can't be blamed, really.

She locked up the booze, sent the gilder to stay in an adjacent house, and flew off across the Pacific, expecting to return to find all sorts of things slathered in Saint-Petersburg-quality goldleaf. NYET!!!!

He found some booze, remaining from some long-forgotten party, and failed to "apply himself" (or to adequately "apply" the gesso patching or the gold leaf). So, all sorts of "Important" antiques are now compromised.

So thank you! I'd wondered where they got those German officers to work their cotton fields. Now, I know!!!! ....right down the River, at Vicksburg!

Which leads to today's update, on the sad situation with cars crashing all over the place. Driving, like applying gold leaf to historic antiques, should be done while SOBER. I fear that those inadequately piloting vehicles in Jackson, are experiencing altered states of consciousness, caused by substances.
https://www.wlbt.com/2021/05/28/moth...n-fatal-wreck/

How long is it going to take, for people to make the connection between whizzing-around like headless chickens, and INNOCENT PEOPLE DYING?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-23-2021 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 09:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,434,463 times
There were also large German POW camps at Camp McCain (Grenada) and Camp Shelby (H'burg). Due to labor shortages, Truman kept the POWs in the states for almost a year after war ended. Allegedly some Germans stayed after the war and others returned after being repatriated to Germany. Many of the POW camps were like modern day low security federal prisons, there wasn't much security and in some cases nothing more than work camps that the prisoners could just walk away from (if they desired, which most didn't).

Old 06-25-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Rest in Peace Lil Lonnie. And thank you GG for sharing Lonnie's closing act. A great lyricist is what he was.

No, I did not get to see the World's Largest Mississippi River Model! It used to be a German POW camp? Now THAT'S fascinating. Think about it. Pray tell who would construct a replicla of the MS River in Mississippi? I heard there were old go-cart tracts surrounding it. Then Suesbal says it used to be a POW camp for German Officers? Mississippi really IS an interesting place.

I"d never heard of Buttonwillow, but if what I just read is accurate it is close enough to Bakersfield in Kern County. Too dodgy for my taste. Conjures up images of cowgirls in bikini tops, daisy dukes, and great big belt buckles. Not safe. Very hot there in the San Joaquin Valley. I try to stay under wraps in the Long Beach, Lakewood area of CA. Bad enough here.

Every now and then we have a car careen into someones house. Sometimes they make their way into a swimming pool! Here's a recent event that occurred in Garden Grove. (Yet another place to avoid.)
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/...en-grove-pool/ Haven't seen many as grotesque as the one on the 5 that you posted.

Oh! Someone did launch their car into a friend's living room many years ago. It happened around 2:00 am, after the bars had closed. Fortunately, they were upstairs. No one was injured.

Benita had a nice house up there in Visalia. People there, especially women, look, act, dress differently than the southernmost part of CA. On the outskirts of Visalia you'll find the rodeo/cowboy culture.
Wow. If that linked story isn't an encapsulation of California, TODAY, I don't know what is. Here's the innocent Working Class Californian, struck by the fleeing Chrysler product (Chrysler Products figure prominently in Jackson's deadly car crashes too...): https://www.gofundme.com/f/qkt3a8-he...ichael-to-rest

And here are the ones who killed him: https://newanaheim.com/tag/michael-clugston/

I see why you're considering a move to Mississippi.

Wasn't the model of the river constructed for studying some aspect of HYDRAULICS of the river and its watershed?

There's also an extensive model of the Holy Land, somewhere in the vicinity, isn't there? Or is it down on Highway 51, South, over by the Reptile Gardens and the stands selling Little Hearn Boy Sausages (which, contrary to rumor, have NOT contained missing Yankee tourists, since 1957)

That screening room I mentioned, was not in Bakersfield, but in New Jersey, where they have to try harder. But the "art movie", being set in a rest stop in the region you so well describe, did feature an array of BANDANAS. As my Decorator says, "If there's anything worse than mascara on a man posing as a butch cowboy, it's a bandana." Well... that movie had plenty of BOTH. I think there WERE Daisydukes-clad (male) Bucklebunnies, wearing bluejean vests instead of bikini tops.

But I couldn't tell you, for sure, because our attention was focused on getting-the-hell-out-of-Dodge (or, in this case, Weehawken). We'd assumed the couple were just typical clueless New York types, up-from-nothing, and trying desperately to be chic, at any cost, no matter how silly, such as (https://www.google.com/search?q=Pete...=firefox-b-1-d But DH was not about to take any chances, and I was no more going to tolerate some warmed-over '70s idiocy, than I am to pronounce the name 'Ghislaine Maxwell' the way SHE wants people to.

As for that part of California, a gritty-yet-wonderful portrait of working class life there, is offered in Amber Hollibaugh's writing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_L._Hollibaugh She grew up in a repurposed chickenhouse, after her father was injured racing motorcycles. Many years ago, someone in our pod of friends stumbled upon Amber Hollibaugh, when he was trying to discover whether bodybuilder Brad Hollibaugh (no close relation to Amber) was available for "dates". This was back when Brad was still well-scrubbed and wholesome, and before the steroids scandal, and his liver trouble, and (most important), before his second wife plucked his eyebrows, and manscaped him until he looked like a blowup doll. After that, Amber and Brad started looking more and more alike. But anyway, Amber was the real find, there. We passed her books around, and all learned a lot, about people whose value system is the polar opposite of our own.

But back to this thread's theme, yes, Lil Lonnie's lyrics were epic. To think, because of his murderers and the car crash, we'll never hear those three epic words endlessly repeated, ever again. Was he buried in those Balenciaga Uomo tennis shoes? And, considering his song's lyrics, and his youth, was there down-low significance to the closeup shot of the CHICKEN eatery? So much to ponder...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-25-2021 at 10:22 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 02:37 PM

Here are some illuminating Fatality Facts for 2019 for every state in the U.S. Deaths per 100,000 people. Deaths per 100 million miles traveled. Deaths per 100,000 people including, but not limited to: alcohol involvement, crash types, (I think single-vehicle means the car malfunctioned. Steering wheel came off maybe), restraint use, rural vs urban. https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state

Before I forget! This happened. An 86-year-old woman was killed after pursuit driver crashes into her bedroom. Happened on the 25th of June.
https://abc7.com/crenshaw-crash-suv-...hase/10833912/
I don't know if there's any available statistical data on the number of cars catapulted into houses. I do know the driver was pretty drunk.

Replica of the Holy Land? That is something worth seeing!!! We used to have a few alligator farms here. Somewhere on CD I posted a photo of my father and his brother taken at an alligator farm in the late 1930s. Maybe it was in Buena Park, CA. I would love to see some in their natural environment.

Is Amber Hollibaugh still living in California? There are Ambers all over the state. A highly concentrated version of Amber lives around Bakersfield. They like to gather together in places like the Kern River and Lake Piru. Places decent people should avoid. Places where you should have some bear spray at hand. Here are some places to avoid. https://www.google.com/search?client...26019528861331

Last edited by Seadory; 06-27-2021 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Here are some illuminating Fatality Facts for 2019 for every state in the U.S. Deaths per 100,000 people. Deaths per 100 million miles traveled. Deaths per 100,000 people including, but not limited to: alcohol involvement, crash types, (I think single-vehicle means the car malfunctioned. Steering wheel care off maybe), restraint use, rural vs urban. https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state

Before I forget! This happened. An 86-year-old woman was killed after pursuit driver crashes into her bedroom. Happened on the 25th of June.
https://abc7.com/crenshaw-crash-suv-...hase/10833912/
I don't know if there's any available statistical data on the number of cars catapulted into houses. I do know the driver was pretty drunk.

Replica of the Holy Land? That is something worth seeing!!! We used to have a few alligator farms here. Somewhere on CD I posted a photo of my father and his brother taken at an alligator farm in the late 1930s. Maybe it was in Buena Park, CA. I would love to see some in their natural environment.

Is Amber Hollibaugh still living in California? There are Ambers all over the state. A highly concentrated version of Amber lives around Bakersfield. They like to gather together in places like the Kern River and Lake Piru. Places decent people should avoid. Places where you should have some bear spray at hand. Here are some places to avoid. https://www.google.com/search?client...26019528861331
Starting with something germane to the theme of this thread, NOBODY'S SAFE IN THEIR CARS - they're even shooting at representatives of The 3-Letter Agencies: http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/202...gent-shot.html

I just looked-up the location of that replica. The Holy Land is AFTER you leave 49 South at Hattiesburg, on the way to Florida (or, at least that's how Delta People go there, since they avoid as much of Mississippi's Coast as they possibly can). https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ssissippi.html

I made the mistake of viewing that, while Babs & Avi were in the room. "THAT's where we send money? Which trees did mother plant?"

"No, this is just a MODEL".

"You can BUY a model?"

"Probably.... or have one made."

Stupid me. Now, they want a Holy Land model, so they can play 'World War Z', one of their favorite movies. That fast, they made the connection - maybe because someone recently had to explain that 'Belarus Airlines' is not the real name, and so they'll never get to fly on it (or, specifically, jump out of its planes' elevators and bite people). I suppose they'll want a model of that jet, too... and of the Zombie Poodle.

Oh, to be 6, again! I'd play, too. And really, pretending to be maneating zombies, climbing over the wall, is way better than last year's obsession, when they were playing, "Cannibals of Leningrad".

Amber Hollibaugh is still around - probably in California, somewhere. I almost got named 'Amber Nicole'... except at least one of Mom's cousins beat her to the name. I forget how many... Mom's biggest dreams, were of snagging a long-haul trucker, who'd buy her a nice used Fleetwood Doublewide, which she'd decorate with amber swag lamps - her idea of taste & class. But yeah: high concentrations of Ambers, generally are indicative of certain demographic trends. Thanks for the heads-up on those locales!

Anyway, the route between Jackson and "The Good Part of Florida" (Pensacola to Rosemary Beach or thereabouts), has long been rich in roadside attractions.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-27-2021 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson