Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 04:05 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Hi all,

It's been over a week since I was in your City and wanted to provide a quick trip report of my visit.

Overall, it was pretty much what I had expected, eg, slow-paced, easy to navigate and friendly locals. I did tour of the State Capitol building, which is always interesting. The volunteer guide was an old timer and native of Mississippi who had some good stories to tell. I didn't see too much going on in and around the rest of downtown, so I just drove around for a bit. Any plans to bring downtown to life again? Unfortunately, the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum was closed the day I was there. I was able to pick up a brochure on Civil Rights and didn't realize so much was happening in Jackson during that movement.

My meals at Thailicious and The Pig and Pint were great. On my way to The Pig and Pint, Google maps took me thru the neighborhood just behind the restaurant which seemed pretty rough, or maybe it was just my imagination? After lunch, I drove thru some neighborhood streets around the District at Eastover admiring all of the trees.

It was a quick visit but the City is small enough to explore in a day and half. You could see how it's a City of the haves and have-nots. Good areas next to rough areas were a common site but I think that applies to most of the State, right?

On my drive to Jackson from New Orleans, I was able to visit Natchez and Vicksburg along the way. Gotta say, Natchez was a disappointment. Perhaps it was my fault for expecting it to be like Savannah or Charleston. I definitely enjoyed my visit to the Longwood Plantation, but the rest of the City was....mostly rundown or dead. I checked out the nice view of the river below from Bluff Park and Natchez Under The Hill before heading out of town.

My next stop was to see the Windsor Ruins, which was pretty cool. Not anything you'd expect to see in the middle of no where. I drove along the Trace Natchez Parkway to get there and it was definitely hard to maintain the 50mph speed limit but the pleasant drive was worth it.

Final stop before Jackson was Vicksburg National Military Park. Lots of history and photo opps here. Reading the plaques along the drive the Park was really cool. The town town itself was pretty night. The downtown area is much nicer than downtown Natchez, for sure.

Thanks again to the posters here who gave suggestions on things to do while I was visiting your beautiful State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 06:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Great, thanks for the follow up, always cool to hear what truly unbiased people have to say about the Sip. Couple of comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You could see how it's a City of the haves and have-nots. Good areas next to rough areas were a common site but I think that applies to most of the State, right?
In the actual city limits of Jackson, yes. But in the suburbs, it's all middle class. No, I would not say the whole state is like that, outside of there and the Delta.

Quote:
On my drive to Jackson from New Orleans, I was able to visit Natchez and Vicksburg along the way. Gotta say, Natchez was a disappointment. Perhaps it was my fault for expecting it to be like Savannah or Charleston. I definitely enjoyed my visit to the Longwood Plantation, but the rest of the City was....mostly rundown or dead. I checked out the nice view of the river below from Bluff Park and Natchez Under The Hill before heading out of town.
Yeah, the population of the whole county is only 30K. I think what I and others mean is that there is potential there due to the bones and history, especially compared to other MS towns. It definitely needs an infusion of people and money.

Overall, would you say the 'River' region has potential for some real tourism? Basically talking from Jackson Metro west to Vicksburg and south to the Louisiana border, west of the Pearl River. Some areas need to be cleaned up, but there is some potential there. These Hollywood celebrities certainly are buying properties here and there.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Overall, would you say the 'River' region has potential for some real tourism? Basically talking from Jackson Metro west to Vicksburg and south to the Louisiana border, west of the Pearl River. Some areas need to be cleaned up, but there is some potential there.
Real tourism???

Have you ever visited Savannah? You definitely haven't visited Charleston. Jackson-Vicksburg-Natchez have nothing in common with Savannah and Charleston.

Without a nearby ocean, you will never come close to any kind of significant tourism in central mississippi.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Real tourism???

Have you ever visited Savannah? You definitely haven't visited Charleston. Jackson-Vicksburg-Natchez have nothing in common with Savannah and Charleston.

Without a nearby ocean, you will never come close to any kind of significant tourism in central mississippi.
No one compared them to Savannah and Charleston. Stop being, well, yourself. And no one is even talking about them having the potential to become those two. We are simply talking about positive growth, which obviously you have very little interest in.

First off, you have the river and it's pretty terrain, which has piqued the interest of Hollywood, with a bunch of movies been made there and some celebs purchasing property.

Vicksburg, Port Gibson and Natchez are pretty towns with history. They have potential to be nice.

There is an underrated State Park in Clark Creek down south of Natchez. You have Windsor Ruins, Grand Gulf, the Natchez Trace in the area. They are about to build some big development in Meadville on that lake. Possible that BIG developments are coming to Natchez too.

No one is expecting coastal tourism. They aren't on the coast. I honestly think you just try and be as negative as possible.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:19 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
No one compared them to Savannah and Charleston.
Oh really?

OP said this:
"Gotta say, Natchez was a disappointment. Perhaps it was my fault for expecting it to be like Savannah or Charleston."

I don't blame him for unrealistic expectations. I blame you guys for blowing smoke and setting tourists up for disappointment with your rosy scenarios and pie in the sky future outlooks.

These places you continually pump up are essentially deserted when tourists visit them. Anyone used to tourism in other places would surely feel that something must be wrong when they get to Natchez and see, well, almost no one.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Oh really?

OP said this:
"Gotta say, Natchez was a disappointment. Perhaps it was my fault for expecting it to be like Savannah or Charleston."

I don't blame him for unrealistic expectations. I blame you guys for blowing smoke and setting tourists up for disappointment with your rosy scenarios and pie in the sky future outlooks.

These places you continually pump up are essentially deserted when tourists visit them. Anyone used to tourism in other places would surely feel that something must be wrong when they get to Natchez and see, well, almost no one.
Swing and another miss.

No one said anything at all regarding any type of tourism that would resemble Savannah/Charleston. The OP mentioned those AFTER his/her visit. No idea where they got the idea that it might be similar, only OP can speak for that. It wasn't anything in this thread. When people come here and ask things, we answer.

I think most reasonable know that Natchez and Vicksburg and still small towns in the big scheme of things, with great history, some good bones, and the potential to be a really cool area. Nobody thinks they are going to be bustling with tourists outside of events and such. However, there generally are some tourists around, and that number is increasing, whether you like it or not.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:

In the actual city limits of Jackson, yes. But in the suburbs, it's all middle class. No, I would not say the whole state is like that, outside of there and the Delta.
Guess it was wrong to me to generalize the entire state to be like that. It was just an observation I had while driving from NO to Natchez to Vicksburg. I passed thru some towns that appeared to be down and out but the next one was nicer. It seemed to be a pattern I noticed.

Quote:
Yeah, the population of the whole county is only 30K. I think what I and others mean is that there is potential there due to the bones and history, especially compared to other MS towns. It definitely needs an infusion of people and money.
My first stop in Natchez was the Visitor Center where I picked up a walking map and some other brochures. The person at the front desk gave me ideas on what to see so I took her advice. The thing is that I didn't find the streets of downtown Natchez to be very appealing. The shops and restaurant along Main St. weren't anything worth stopping for and on top of that, the streets were deserted. Granted, I was there during the middle of the weekday so it may be more lively on weekends. Would I go back? Probably not.

Quote:
Overall, would you say the 'River' region has potential for some real tourism? Basically talking from Jackson Metro west to Vicksburg and south to the Louisiana border, west of the Pearl River. Some areas need to be cleaned up, but there is some potential there. These Hollywood celebrities certainly are buying properties here and there.
Most places have potential to draw tourists if it offers something unique. TBH, I'm not sure if the "River" region has enough to become a bigger destination that it is now . IMO, Vicksburg has the most greatest appeal of the places mentioned above with the Military Park and its riverfont location. As for Jackson, I'm not sure what it can do to be a bigger draw. Perhaps it can can model itself after Raleigh or Charlotte (Neither of which are big tourist destinations) by attracting more businesses to help it grow?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Oh really?

OP said this:

I have to admit that I knew nothing about Natchez except that it was a Southern town along the river. From the images that I googled online, it lead me to believe the town was full of plantation homes everywhere so you can imagine how disappointed I was to see it was not at all what I imagined.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Swing and another miss.

No one said anything at all regarding any type of tourism that would resemble Savannah/Charleston. The OP mentioned those AFTER his/her visit. No idea where they got the idea that it might be similar, only OP can speak for that. It wasn't anything in this thread. When people come here and ask things, we answer.

I think most reasonable know that Natchez and Vicksburg and still small towns in the big scheme of things, with great history, some good bones, and the potential to be a really cool area. Nobody thinks they are going to be bustling with tourists outside of events and such. However, there generally are some tourists around, and that number is increasing, whether you like it or not.
I only brought up Savannah and Charleston because others in this thread said Natchez was a must-see and worth a visit. If I were to do my trip again, I'd most likely skip Natchez altogether. As mentioned, it was my fault for setting high expectations for the place. Even if I compared it to Eureka Springs or Asheville, it would have still disappointed.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I only brought up Savannah and Charleston because others in this thread said Natchez was a must-see and worth a visit. If I were to do my trip again, I'd most likely skip Natchez altogether. As mentioned, it was my fault for setting high expectations for the place. Even if I compared it to Eureka Springs or Asheville, it would have still disappointed.
Fair enough, and I appreciate your honestly. JacksonPanther has a reputation of just bringing an overly negative viewpoint to any and all things Mississippi. It just isn't useful when folks are simply trying to discuss things.

I personally don't think I sugarcoated anything - I do like Natchez, it's very different than other towns its size. Has a unique feel to it. It's certainly not a weeklong-vacation destination or anything like that, but I see no reason it can't be a decent weekend getaway, or a stop along a bigger trip or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson