Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 07:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be in your city this for one night next week and was wondering about the must-see sights in the Jackson area.

After a few days in New Orleans, I'll be ready to head North since I've only been to Biloxi. And rather than drive straight up the 56, I'm thinking of making my way to Natchez. Thoughts? Is it worth the detour? I'm interested in seeing all things Southern and was told that's a good place for that.

Some of the places I plan on checking out in Jackson are the State Capitol building, Civil Rights Museum, Art Museum and the Fondren neighborhood. Any lunch and dinner recommendations would great.

About me, I'll be travelling solo and live in San Diego.

Looking forward to your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 09:53 PM

577 posts, read 563,631 times
Some of these such as Ridgeland, Olive Branch, and Diamondhead are similar to Byram on median household income (censusreporter.com) but far above Byram in per capita income because the top 50% above the median is much richer. Ridgeland has those ultra wealthy neighborhoods near the Renaissance, (but also apartment complexes along County Line Rd); overall Ridgeland is much richer.

I am surprised to see Byram virtually the same but slightly above Clinton. I have a feeling that Clinton has a broader range of both older and newer neighborhoods whereas Byram is mostly new. To me Clinton is looking absolutely beautiful these days; I'm fascinated to see how they keep moving forward.

If you look at Oxford and Starkville based on median ”family” income, rather than median household income, (i.e. excluding students), they are close to Madison levels of income. Also, Hattiesburg's west side in Lamar County is near Madison income levels, which you can see by looking at census tract block income data.

Parts of Tupelo are also quite affluent, as well as parts of Gulfport and Biloxi. Similar for Meridian and Columbus. Interestingly Lowndes County (Columbus) with all their successful industrial recruitment in recent years, is now higher than Lee County (Tupelo) in median household income.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:08 PM

Somehow my response on income data from the other thread landed in this thread. Hmmm.

As far as Jackson, the cutest spots include:

District at Eastover
Eastover, Woodland Hills (pretty homes)
Highland Village
Belhaven (neighborhood around Belhaven University and Belhaven Town Center)
The Fairview (historic hotel in Bellhaven with quaint, London-style bar inside)
Fondren
Banner Hall (with Lemuria Bookstore)
Renaissance and Township at Colony Park (shopping)
Natchez Trace (walking)
Lost Rabbit, Jackson Yacht Club, Arbor Landing (if you like pretty neighborhoods and big water views)
Mississippi Crafts Center
Town of Livingston (cute little development, pretty drive out Hwy 463)
Old Town Clinton (tiny, quaint)
Vicksburg military park
Canton town square
Port Gibson ("too beautiful to burn") and Ruins of Windsor

Old 01-16-2022, 10:30 PM

Also, since you like history:

Eudora Welty museum
Governors Mansion
Old Capitol Museum
Manship House

Regarding Natchez, yes, it's spectacular. Very quiet and overflowing with historic buildings and mansions. You might also like Laurel if you've seen the HGTV home renovation show "Home Town" and you like historic neighborhoods.

On the Coast, don't miss Ocean Springs historic district, Pass Christian, and Bay St. Louis. Postcard beautiful, all.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:51 PM

^^Thanks for the response above. Lots of places you mentioned aren't easily found on the internet, which is a good thing. I enjoy driving thru different neighborhoods to get a feel the city. Lemuria Bookstore and The Fairview have been added to my list. Hoping to grab meals at Babalu, The Pig & Pint and Lou's Full Serve before I head back to N.O.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
I would recommend Natchez. We went down there a few weeks ago. You could stop by Rodney, then go up to the Ruins of Windsor, if history/old stuff is your thing.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:42 PM

For neighborhoods, you can always find individual streets on google maps. In Jackson, two of the main streets in Woodland Hills are Glenway Drive and Hawthorne Drive (these are near the Fondren restaurants you listed).

In Fondren, you should also check out Brent's Drugs (old fashioned malt shop which was in The Help) and Cups for coffee (and many others). In Belhaven, where the Fairview Inn is located, Pinehurst and Peachtree, by the Eudora Welty House and Museum, is at the center of Belhaven.

Also the new Belhaven Town Center includes cute Campbell's donuts. In Eastover, Eastover Drive is the heart of Eastover, with the center being roughly Eastover Drive and Lake Circle, with pretty homes all around. Highland Village (which is cute and you shouldn't miss it to get a true feel for Jackson) is at I-55N and Northside Drive, and includes Aplos and Bravo restaurants (among many more) with Whole Foods adjacent to it.

District at Eastover is also quintessential Jackson, is at Eastover Drive and I-55N, and includes Cultivation Hall (food hall) and other cute restaurants. Lost Rabbit is a pretty residential area in the Madison area, on the Reservoir, and North Natchez Drive is one of the main streets that is on google maps.

The Renaissance is in Ridgeland on Highland Colony Parkway and Old Agency Road, and includes the Apple Store, Brooks Brothers, and Anthropologie. Down the street on Highland Colony Parkway in Ridgeland is Township at Colony Park, which is a neat mixture of shops, hotels, and a really cute neighborhood with new homes that are designed to look somewhat historic.

The Town of Livingston (tiny but cute) is at the intersection of Hwy 463 and Hwy 22 in Madison County. The drive out there along Hwy 463 is pretty, with Chapel of the Cross being a highlight near Hwy 463 and Gluckstadt Rd. This area along Hwy 463 passes homes on large lots, lakes, and golf courses.

The Jackson Yacht Club is in Ridgeland, on the Reservoir (on Yacht Club Road) as is the Mississippi Crafts Museum, near where Rice Road crosses under the Natchez Trace in Ridgeland. The Yacht Club is a private club but it's a pretty spot to drive through, see the view, and see how Jacksonians live, with Jackson's sunny weather. Arbor Landing is on the Reservoir on the Rankin County side and has pretty views, in the Brandon area, at Fannin Landing Circle and Arbor View.

Downtown Jackson still hasn't really been redone, although they're working on it, and the true flavor of Jackson is in these places (Fondren, Belhaven, Eastover, Woodland Hills, District at Eastover, Highland Village, Banner Hall, Natchez Trace, The Renaissance, The Reservoir, Highland Colony Parkway, Highway 463 and Lost Rabbit) that reflect the best of the Jackson lifestyle.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:14 AM

^^ I'm going to print this and use it as my guidebook, brickpatio. Lots of places to check out of sure. Thanks again! I did see another thread here that talked about how dangerous Jackson is, but I'm assuming the places you mentioned above are fairly safe.

And I do plan on making a stop in Natchez after others here said it was worth a visit.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Fondren and Belhaven have property crime, like any comparable area in a comparable southern city. I've never really worried about crime at Eastover or Highland Village. Just stay alert, don't leave valuables in sight and choose good parking spaces.

The Mayflower and Big Apple Inn are likely the most well known, historic restaurants in Jxn (not the best though). Try the comeback sauce at Mayflower.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 PM

Jackson definitely has crime and it's an issue. That said, the historic areas I listed are reasonably safe and are the areas that attract your higher-income crowds. But you have to be smart regardless just as if you were in New Orleans. It wasn't always this way but it is now.

The newer areas across the line in Madison and Rankin Counties (Madison, Ridgeland, Flowood, and Brandon areas), just five minutes down the interstate, are crime free, and that helps quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson