Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2022, 09:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times

Advertisements

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/01/19/out-...o0vbShdl60gqOY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 09:59 PM

577 posts, read 563,201 times
So cool. I've always loved the Capri. Fondren is amazing. Combine that with Highland Village (especially with all the new restaurants with outdoor seating in the courtyards), District at Eastover, Belhaven, Banner Hall, and the Renaissance and Jackson is becoming a neat city.

I just saw in the news about the West Main project in Flora. Absolutely beautiful. They are learning to build brand-new, historic-style buildings like you would see in downtown Natchez or on the Square in Oxford and this seems to be what they are doing in downtown Flora.

I've been thinking for a while that Flora is about to become the next 'it' place and it looks they are arriving now. The Flora area has those homes on huge acreage dotting that entire area and something about Highway 22 has such as pastoral feel to it. I knew when the fancy Butcher Shop arrived in downtown Flora and the fancy equestrian program and shooting range in Pochohontas that something was afoot. And Flora has all Madison schools.

Brandon is beginning to fix up its downtown, Madison soon will begin construction on their downtown, Ridgeland is soon starting their downtown, and Flowood has its town center (Waterpointe) under construction now. Clinton's downtown and college area is adorable and what surprised me last time I drove through Clinton was seeing the growth in the city's north side (going in the direction of Flora). The expanded Highway 49 will be finished fairly soon making Florence a more desirable area (along with good schools). And Byram is holding strong on the south side. I'm not sure what's next for Pearl but they seem to be in strong shape with all their developments.

The metro area it seems is going to have the neat parts of Jackson, like the Capri, right in the center, along with employment centers like UMMC, and a literal circle of cute suburbs all the way around the city. I think that's a really charming set-up. Many cities have miles of sprawl with little or no identity, and Jackson is going to be the opposite, with a smallish but urbanizing central city and 12 or so suburbs each with their own town centers and identities forming a complete circle around the central city. So cool.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:38 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
So cool. I've always loved the Capri. Fondren is amazing. Combine that with Highland Village (especially with all the new restaurants with outdoor seating in the courtyards), District at Eastover, Belhaven, Banner Hall, and the Renaissance and Jackson is becoming a neat city.

I just saw in the news about the West Main project in Flora. Absolutely beautiful. They are learning to build brand-new, historic-style buildings like you would see in downtown Natchez or on the Square in Oxford and this seems to be what they are doing in downtown Flora.

I've been thinking for a while that Flora is about to become the next 'it' place and it looks they are arriving now. The Flora area has those homes on huge acreage dotting that entire area and something about Highway 22 has such as pastoral feel to it. I knew when the fancy Butcher Shop arrived in downtown Flora and the fancy equestrian program and shooting range in Pochohontas that something was afoot. And Flora has all Madison schools.

Brandon is beginning to fix up its downtown, Madison soon will begin construction on their downtown, Ridgeland is soon starting their downtown, and Flowood has its town center (Waterpointe) under construction now. Clinton's downtown and college area is adorable and what surprised me last time I drove through Clinton was seeing the growth in the city's north side (going in the direction of Flora). The expanded Highway 49 will be finished fairly soon making Florence a more desirable area (along with good schools). And Byram is holding strong on the south side. I'm not sure what's next for Pearl but they seem to be in strong shape with all their developments.

The metro area it seems is going to have the neat parts of Jackson, like the Capri, right in the center, along with employment centers like UMMC, and a literal circle of cute suburbs all the way around the city. I think that's a really charming set-up. Many cities have miles of sprawl with little or no identity, and Jackson is going to be the opposite, with a smallish but urbanizing central city and 12 or so suburbs each with their own town centers and identities forming a complete circle around the central city. So cool.
Jackson is BADLY in need of outdoor recreation areas. That, and a little more cosmetic care around the metro could make it a decent to good place to live. I'm talking simple things like the Pearl River District or whatever ACTUALLY KEEPING UP the areas around the reservoir and making them nice. I'm talking about more areas doing what Brandon did with its Quarry Trails, every suburb should have extensive walking trails. I'm talking about the state parks actually caring about maintenance at LeFleur's Bluff and Roosevelt SPs. I'm talking about a few more public, but nice, golf courses like the Refuge. I'm talking about the One Lake Project.

I mean I know that everybody acts like Memphis and the Coast are the 2 places that can grow in MS but if we ever want the state to advance, Jackson has to be a part of it (I mean the whole metro, not just Jackson itself). It doesn't have to be awesome, just decent. It's where the jobs are. If it were decent, people would flock there.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:34 AM

577 posts, read 563,201 times
Fannye Cook Natural Area (2,700 acres) is opening in a couple of years, spreading from the Reservoir dam to the Lakeland Drive bridge along the Pearl River on the Flowood side.

Their literature estimates the area to be about three times the size of Central Park in NYC, except this will be mostly hardwood forest along the river. Currently they are constructing biking and hiking trails and facilities for kayaking, picnicking, public functions, etc.

The land was given to the state by a timber company, as part of a type of environmental tax, and the state gave it to Wildlife Mississippi nonprofit. The entrance presumably will be in Flowood off of Lakeland, just across the Pearl River from Jackson near River Hills Club.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:29 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:

It’s interesting that Flora managed to avoid Madison County’s superheated growth for so long, considering that it is on a four-lane highway. As far as I know, Flora still has only one supermarket. The only prominent family I associate with Flora are the Bozemans, who own(Ed) a cattle ranch north of town.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
Quote:
Fannye Cook Natural Area (2,700 acres) is opening in a couple of years, spreading from the Reservoir dam to the Lakeland Drive bridge along the Pearl River on the Flowood side.

Their literature estimates the area to be about three times the size of Central Park in NYC, except this will be mostly hardwood forest along the river. Currently they are constructing biking and hiking trails and facilities for kayaking, picnicking, public functions, etc.

The land was given to the state by a timber company, as part of a type of environmental tax, and the state gave it to Wildlife Mississippi nonprofit. The entrance presumably will be in Flowood off of Lakeland, just across the Pearl River from Jackson near River Hills Club.
There is an access road (not yet open to the public) on Liberty Road between the Y and Lakeland Lawn and Garden (in Flowood).

Last edited by viverlibre; 01-24-2022 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-27-2022, 08:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,531 times
Quote:

I work part-time at the Fondren complex. It's going to be a wonderful thing for the city. Also, don't forget about the upcoming Village at Livingston and the Jackson Tech District.

I was not aware about the Flora project. I'm interested to see what it will be like.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:54 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
It’s interesting that Flora managed to avoid Madison County’s superheated growth for so long, considering that it is on a four-lane highway. As far as I know, Flora still has only one supermarket. The only prominent family I associate with Flora are the Bozemans, who own(Ed) a cattle ranch north of town.
Flora isn't the biggest of cities, so no surprise that there's only one grocery store. Madison County primarily grew along the I-55 corridor. Flora is a bit of a ways from I-55. However, Madison has been growing along 463 towards Livingston and Flora. There hasn't been a large amount of growth along 49 to facilitate growth towards Flora.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:16 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Flora isn't the biggest of cities, so no surprise that there's only one grocery store. Madison County primarily grew along the I-55 corridor. Flora is a bit of a ways from I-55. However, Madison has been growing along 463 towards Livingston and Flora. There hasn't been a large amount of growth along 49 to facilitate growth towards Flora.
Livingston was the seat of Madison County before Canton. It was considered an extinct community for over a century before the recent developments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston,_Mississippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson