Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 05:24 PM

235 posts, read 424,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I work at the new bowling alley/tiki bar/movie theater in Fondren and it's been doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I'm hoping the developer has some deep pockets and this doesn't turn out like the metro center and so many other planned developments. I performed a cursory search, but didn't find much on the developer other than he has an office on North State Street. Hopefully Jackson Jambalaya will do some investigative work on this so we'll know if this guy is "all hat and no cattle" or not.
Honest question, does Jackson Jambalaya provide neutral journalism? I ask because the few times I've gone to that website it's been a cesspool of negativity. Is it just the commentators who are so vicious in their comments?

I was saddened by the Venyu Solutions deal falling through, but this does seem to be a better alternative. High-end lofts and retail would bring more life, foot traffic, and possible future investment. I would love it if the shopping center with the Piggly Wiggly could eventually be repurposed as a result of the hopeful success of this potential venture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 05:56 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
My understanding about the Venyu deal was that Venyu was bought out. I'm guessing the new company abandoned the project. Also, a deal for UMMC to occupy a new building on the property fell through.

As far as the Piggy Wiggly and that shopping center, I'm okay with it as it is, but there are too many hair stores in the area.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popquez87 View Post
Honest question, does Jackson Jambalaya provide neutral journalism? I ask because the few times I've gone to that website it's been a cesspool of negativity. Is it just the commentators who are so vicious in their comments?

I was saddened by the Venyu Solutions deal falling through, but this does seem to be a better alternative. High-end lofts and retail would bring more life, foot traffic, and possible future investment. I would love it if the shopping center with the Piggly Wiggly could eventually be repurposed as a result of the hopeful success of this potential venture.
I don't think netral journalism exists any more (if it ever did).

Old 02-21-2022, 10:06 PM

235 posts, read 424,673 times
Quote:
I don't think netral journalism exists any more (if it ever did).
I more so meant does Kingfish use his website to simply spew hatred. Hence, the rest of my comments about why I avoid it. I went on the site a couple of times, and both times I immediately left because the commentators were so vicious.

For example, I clicked a link you just shared about the Landmark Building being purchased. The very first comment shown was about section 8 housing.

In other words, if Kingfish did do some type of exposé, does he have a history of framing facts in a way to be unnecessarily negative and vitriolic toward Jackson, or can he be more neutral with the facts than his commentators are? I don't necessarily need neutrality, but I stay away from unneeded nastiness.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:40 AM

It's more like tabloid journalism to me. I haven't read his site in years. Sometimes, I forget it exists. But who cares what these people think. I care about what happens here. I live about a mile from the formers McRae's, and I hope it does bring more life to the area.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:40 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popquez87 View Post
I more so meant does Kingfish use his website to simply spew hatred. Hence, the rest of my comments about why I avoid it. I went on the site a couple of times, and both times I immediately left because the commentators were so vicious.

For example, I clicked a link you just shared about the Landmark Building being purchased. The very first comment shown was about section 8 housing.

In other words, if Kingfish did do some type of exposé, does he have a history of framing facts in a way to be unnecessarily negative and vitriolic toward Jackson, or can he be more neutral with the facts than his commentators are? I don't necessarily need neutrality, but I stay away from unneeded nastiness.
Is Kingfish wrong about Jackson having feckless leadership? Does he imply that only people lacking melanin can make Jackson great again? Some of his commenters do the latter, but who knows where they are?

Old 02-22-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is Kingfish wrong about Jackson having feckless leadership? Does he imply that only people lacking melanin can make Jackson great again? Some of his commenters do the latter, but who knows where they are?
As a Jackson resident, I do admit that we don't have the best leadership. However, outsiders seem to imply that we need white people in charge. I'm one who believes in putting the best people in charge, regardless of race.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
As a Jackson resident, I do admit that we don't have the best leadership. However, outsiders seem to imply that we need white people in charge. I'm one who believes in putting the best people in charge, regardless of race.
I have never read or heard anyone of reasonable intelligence make a statement like that (or even imply it). Highly unlikely there will ever be a white person in charge of Jackson in the foreseeable future. If a person doesn't understand that, immediately tune him/her out.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I have never read or heard anyone of reasonable intelligence make a statement like that (or even imply it). Highly unlikely there will ever be a white person in charge of Jackson in the foreseeable future. If a person doesn't understand that, immediately tune him/her out.
You might not, but I have. Even from my fellow African Americans.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Jackson Jambalaya is neither good or bad, it is simply a source of information. It should be used in concert with other information sources and a questioning mind.

When I was growing up the adults always said, "never believe anything you read or hear and only half of what you see." Benjamin Franklin is credited with originating that statement, even 250 years ago people knew to be skeptical.

50 years ago, newspapers prided themselves as "investigative journalists." Now they're either parrots of whatever political party they believe in or gutted and on life support. The Clarion Ledger is a shell of itself and hardly does any deep dives on local issues. Kingfish will do some digging and you can sometimes gleem some good intel from the comments, but most are pure idiocy.

Last edited by viverlibre; 02-22-2022 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson