U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 01:41 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,255,584 times

Advertisements

As you may know, Lake Hico in northwest Jackson was recently drained after Entergy decided not to renew its lease on the land. The waters were used for a cooling station and the property is 16th Section land. I came across a video from last year in which JPS chief operating officer Joe Albright suggested the land could be used for things like a sports complex, retail, housing units, etc.

Here's the video:

https://www.wapt.com/article/anythin...perty/37012376

The Lake Hico land is over 600 acres, so there's a lot of things it could be used for. I love the idea of a sports complex on one part of the land. I envision baseball/softball fields, along with some soccer fields. These would be ideal for all kinds of tournaments in those sports. I do like the idea of building a new lake (though much smaller), as well as a mixed-used development on another part of the land.

What would you like to see there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 01:54 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,442,176 times
I don't live in Jackson anymore, so I wasn't aware of the recent developments. Any idea what the land was used for prior to Entergy leasing it from the city?

Old 03-24-2022, 03:21 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,255,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I don't live in Jackson anymore, so I wasn't aware of the recent developments. Any idea what the land was used for prior to Entergy leasing it from the city?
I don't know, but at one time, the Jackson Yacht Club was located there until moving to the reservoir in the 1960s.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:15 AM

365 posts, read 273,382 times
I have an off-beat suggestion. The city could conduct an experiment on attracting citizens back into Jackson.

They could use the area to build a city within a city (in effect) with a couple of special innovations. One would be a K-12 charter school designed to serve only those families living in the new development, and allow the charter school to charge some tuition on top of the state subsidy so that they can pay top salaries and attract professionals who otherwise would be in high-IQ professions such as doctors, financial managers, and CEO's.

(There is a correlation world wide between teacher IQ and student performance, because ultra-high IQ teachers are able to figure out the unique key to helping each individual child learn the designated material.). This level of personalized education would not be available anywhere else in the state.

Secondly the project would charge a neighborhood tax to fund a Flowood-style police force to serve the community over and above the Jackson police.

The city could also design the project using urban-design principles found in places that people love such as Charleston, Boston, and New Orleans (and Oxford, Ocean Springs, Bay St. Louis, and Fondren for that matter).

If the city were successful in attracting families through the unique schools and ample police protection, they could systematically apply the model block by block throughout the rest of the city.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:34 AM

233 posts, read 390,356 times
I wouldn't mind if something like the abandoned Old Capital Green or Harbor Walk of Ridgeland ideas could be used for the land. It's still mixed-used, it would be exciting and grab a lot of attention, and I would hope that it would provide entertainment options for the entire family.

Something that made the lake the centerpiece with walking and bike trails, paddle boats, etc.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:25 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,409,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I don't know, but at one time, the Jackson Yacht Club was located there until moving to the reservoir in the 1960s.
Lake Hico was open to the white public, then closed when blacks began moving in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson