U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 09:15 AM

233 posts, read 390,285 times

Advertisements

WLBT did two stories regarding a bill that would have provided $40 million dollars for a new stadium for Jackson State. According to both stories, the bill died in committee due to disagreements regarding the location of the stadium. Apparently, lawmakers wanted the stadium to go downtown south of the convention center. JSU representatives wanted the stadium on Lynch Street on property the university already owns and closer to the university.

According to the report, the state representatives want the stadium downtown because they want it to be more than just a stadium for a driver for more development downtown.

There were two other options. One across the street from WLBT and another based on the long-planned and long-stalled One Lake Plan.

Honestly, I'm not certain what I think. I think both locations sound great. I do think it sounds good to have it on Lynch Street and be a catalyst for rejuvenating what was once a strong corridor for the city. Looking at the rendering shared by WLBT, I can't imagine the stadium being anything but a football stadium as it has an open-air design. For those who remember, the last stadium design had a retractable roof as the university wanted to use it for concerts and other activities during the off-season.

What does everyone here think? I think it's past time JSU gets a stadium, Jackson gets an arena, UMMC gets the long talked about research park, and the convention center gets a hotel.

The two stories are linked below:

EXCLUSIVE: WLBT obtains JSU Stadium Feasibility Study showing top picks for new stadium site

Bill that would have allocated millions for new JSU stadium dies in committee

All that being said, I am at least happy with the progress this state has made regarding JSU. I remember when Phil Bryant was governor that it was required fighting tooth and nail to get the state to consider helping to fund the stadium. and Bryant even talked about putting the stadium "over there" so "they" can have "their stadium." Now the state wants the stadium as visible as possible. Hopefully, the next legislative session goes much better for JSU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 05:18 PM

365 posts, read 273,382 times
One suggestion would be to combine an on-campus stadium with a development similar to the Square in Oxford and an area by the stadium similar to the Grove at Ole Miss. The area around the JSU campus is fairly run-down and blighted, so for the stadium to work as an true attraction, they need to make the area adjacent to the stadium beautiful and fun, filled with apartments, professional offices,and restaurants.

The downtown Jackson option makes less sense because there is nothing downtown to enhance the game atmosphere, especially compared to how they have it now with Fondren and all the area restaurants next to the stadium.

I think I'd say go with the Jackson State campus, but make it work by beautifying the area next to the campus with something like the Square and the Grove in Oxford.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:32 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,434,463 times
I'm not well versed on this issue, but I vote for an on campus stadium.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:00 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,255,584 times
I'm also on board with putting it on campus. JSU already owns the land, so there's no need to purchase land. It makes it much easier for students who don't have cars to be able to get to the games. It can also help spur redevelopment of the surrounding area, which is badly needed.

Last edited by golden eagles fan; 04-28-2022 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-28-2022, 09:10 AM

16,987 posts, read 7,991,937 times
Any *primary* stadium for college sports should be as close to campus as possible. You want to have teams play a few big games at a pre-existing stadium downtown then okay...But even if downtown needs a jolt prioritize the student experience. Bolster the city by investing in neighborhoods. I'm not familiar with Jackson but follow Deion Sanders at JSU and they deserve to have a nice facility near Campus on land they own.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:16 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,512,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popquez87 View Post
What does everyone here think? I think it's past time JSU gets a stadium, Jackson gets an arena, UMMC gets the long talked about research park, and the convention center gets a hotel.
The obvious answer is to build it on-campus. The law-makers need to get out of their own way and make this happen, for this reasons:

1) JSU officials and alumni want it on campus.
2) The on-campus option is the cheapest option. There is a clause in the agreement with the Vet that the state must provide this funding, so this works best for everyone.
3) UMMC gets to bulldoze the aging Vet and expand their teaching park.
4) A multi-use football stadium downtown is just not needed, IMO. The most you can do with that outside of JSU games is a possible bowl game, and those are on borrowed time. MSU, Ole Miss and USM have zero interest in playing in Jackson. They invest too much in their own stadiums.
5) Jackson would be much better served by a multi-purpose arena, that could host concerts, NCAA basketball games, major events, etc. This may not be anywhere close to happening right now, but if the state invests in some type of entertainment venue, this needs to be it, NOT at a football stadium.

This is such an easy answer. Of course the law-makers would stand in the way.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,441,886 times
A new stadium would certainly cost more than $40 million, right? I would assume it would cost at least $100 million to build a 50k seat outdoor stadium. I assume the university would raise the rest of the money needed?

Old 05-02-2022, 08:58 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,434,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
A new stadium would certainly cost more than $40 million, right? I would assume it would cost at least $100 million to build a 50k seat outdoor stadium. I assume the university would raise the rest of the money needed?
I think i read somewhere the projected cost was $125M. The trend is declining attendance for college football and that is expected to continue. A 35k-40k seat stadium may be a better option. More emphasis is being put on premium seating in our current environment.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:00 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
I think i read somewhere the projected cost was $125M. The trend is declining attendance for college football and that is expected to continue. A 35k-40k seat stadium may be a better option. More emphasis is being put on premium seating in our current environment.
You know, I actually didn't even realize that attendance at college football games had been declining across the board for years now. I will admit that I haven't been to a college football game myself since 2007. I suppose I fall in with the typical people mentioned in the article below - I would prefer to sit at home in my A/C and watch it on tv rather than spending money to drive to a game, sweat it out in the stands for 3 hours and then having to drive home.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-since-1981/

Old 05-06-2022, 05:44 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,512,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
You know, I actually didn't even realize that attendance at college football games had been declining across the board for years now. I will admit that I haven't been to a college football game myself since 2007. I suppose I fall in with the typical people mentioned in the article below - I would prefer to sit at home in my A/C and watch it on tv rather than spending money to drive to a game, sweat it out in the stands for 3 hours and then having to drive home.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-since-1981/
There’s no question that the product is catered towards the TV watcher. The constant timeouts are agonizing for someone at the game. Not to mention the game times. All the while cost is higher than ever, from tickets to parking.

I still enjoy going but you can’t ignore these issues. I just find ways to do it cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson