Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 08:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times

Advertisements

Jackson Jambalaya: Nooooooo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 11:22 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I loved the 12:24 comment below that piece, about "old Jackson families" (although not for that commenter's intended reason). Jackson Jambalaya: Nooooooo We used to refer to those people as "MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS". The reference was to the restaurant - not the boat.

The consensus among those of us who moved to Jackson from elsewhere, was that "Old Jackson Families" were mostly descended from the Carpetbaggers who displaced the real First Families of Hinds County, after the Civil War (theft and murder were rampant, and people fled to distant parts of the state, to escape).

We knew that the restaurant was, and had been, the scene of many a shady deal - its location being ideal for that sort of thing. And we imagined that this had been the case, since The Mayflower first opened. Jackson's established families behaved in a manner which led us to believe that their fathers and grandfathers had been shady predators.

Later, Kingfish researched the history of "The Gold Coast", and so we learned that a second influx of criminal types, had arrived to work in the Gold Coast's brothels, bootlegging operations, and gambling dens. The successful among them, crossed the river and climbed the hill - becoming "Jackson Socialites". And Jackson Socialites, aping Greenville People, whose Doe's Eat Place's reverse snobbery had made it into major publications, naturally saw pretending to love The Mayflower, as a way to retroactively gentrify their shady grandfathers' favorite dive.

At least, that's how WE saw it. We only went there, as an adjunct to our own influencing of personages. It was a great place, for hosting politicians whose table manners insecurities made them uneasy in fancier spots. They could loudly pretend that their down-home demeanor was just an act, when, in reality, those functionaries were in their element. They were country boys pretending to be sophisticates pretending to be country boys.

So, what could be more natural, than naming that whole Hilly Holbrook social class (with their Phoney Colonial homes and Licensed Williamsburg Reproduction furnishings), "Mayflower Descendants"? https://www.google.com/search?q=Hill...h=533&dpr=1.71

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-17-2022 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 08:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,772,996 times
There used to be a lot of Jackson restaurants owned by Greek families. Creachale’s may be the last one.

P.S. I thought “The Help” was not that good. They should have cast white actresses who really knew how to “speak Southern”. Sela Ward (a Mississippi native) should have played Hilly’s mother.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Good riddance to the Elite.
Good riddance to the Mayflower.
Here's hoping Crechale's is next.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Good riddance to the Elite.
Good riddance to the Mayflower.
Here's hoping Crechale's is next.
More vacant buildings and less tax paying businesses are the last thing Jxn needs right?

Several years ago Crechales was planning to move to Flowood...until they say how much the lease was going to be.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
More vacant buildings and less tax paying businesses are the last thing Jxn needs right?
There's a phrase that goes "all money ain't good money."

I'd rather be hurting, than take money from a business that grits its teeth every time a black customer enters the door.

It's no accident that good restaurants like Manship and Lou's have significant black customers, while Mayflower and Crechales have none. Word gets around about businesses that aren't welcoming to all.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
There's a phrase that goes "all money ain't good money."

I'd rather be hurting, than take money from a business that grits its teeth every time a black customer enters the door.

It's no accident that good restaurants like Manship and Lou's have significant black customers, while Mayflower and Crechales have none. Word gets around about businesses that aren't welcoming to all.
Never been to Crechales, but I've eaten at the Mayflower dozens if not hundreds of times over the past 27 years. During weekday lunches they have plenty of black customers.

I'm not a fan of the Mayflower, the food is average at best and I have no idea how they have passed a legit health inspection, but they do have the best Comeback sauce.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:32 AM

Yeah, ok. I'll trust the judgement of a person that eats at a restaurant hundreds of time, but calls it average at best. To then tell us that Mayflower has plenty of black customers. I assume your eyesight is as screwed up as your taste buds.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:03 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Yeah, ok. I'll trust the judgement of a person that eats at a restaurant hundreds of time, but calls it average at best. To then tell us that Mayflower has plenty of black customers. I assume your eyesight is as screwed up as your taste buds.
Why should we take your word over viverlibres?

Old 07-23-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I eat there because of convenience and my co-workers/friends/clients like it and out of town visitors want to go there, and it does have the best comeback.

You stated it is unfriendly to black patrons, are you basing your opinion on second/third hand information? Come downtown at lunch and just look in the window and see for yourself. Don't automatically believe me or the people you're getting your info from, find out for yourself.

I was raised with the saying, "don't believe anything you hear or read and only half of what you see." I don't understand this generation of people who automatically believe anything/everything as long as it fits their narrative. Be smart, question everything, much better to be skeptical than an useful idiot. Maybe you read this on social media, we all know that information is very reliable.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me that is was unfriendly to black customers at one time, but that has not been the case since 1995.

Last edited by viverlibre; 07-23-2022 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson