U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2022, 04:30 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,409,012 times

Advertisements

Since this was posted on WLBT’s website in 2015, I guess you could call it a “double flashback”.
https://www.wlbt.com/story/29563602/...grand-opening/
I remember Mom and Dad buying candy for me (rocky road fudge?) at JC Penney and getting lost in the mall in the mid 1970s.
In retrospect, Jackson Mall’s heyday was brief. Maybe it should have been closer to an interstate. And/or near a neighborhood not perceived as having a lot of crime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 04:42 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,100,925 times
Oh, why didn't they restore some VIDEO? Woodie Assaf in all his obnoxiousness... Somebody saying, "REACH.... for Seale Lily Peach!" (it was an ice cream)... Colonel MIM, admonishing Mississippians to keep their Money In Mississippi... Miss Somethingorother, belting-out a heart-stopping rendition of, "Mississippuuuuaei, thuh Macknolia Stuuuuaaaaeeete, thaaayit's whey-urrr ah wawwwwwnt tu buuuuae, riiiite eee-yin thu waaaawurrt uv Dixuuuuae, knaaaawn foh-wuhrr haaawsputaaayiluuutae..." (this was before beauty queens had the dipthongs trained out of their singing voices) (friends, a decade older than me, can sing the whole first verse - dipthongs intact. Dogs start howling, and cats alternately hide beneath furniture, and dart-out to attack those doing the singing)

Surely, there's video from one of the old stations, with that grand opening, plus those commercials. I was only 5, and so only vaguely remember 1970. It's possible that I saw those things on the TV, at a Headstart Center - or not. Mama was still pretty, and was finding a "new daddy" for me, every week or so, back then. So, sometimes, "we" even had our own TV, until my latest "new daddy" realized that Mama had not really "found Jesus", and wasn't "clean, now", either. However, it's possible I've only imported the memories of others, and don't actually remember anything besides "Reach... for Seale Lily Peach!".

As for that part of the Jackson Metro, in the late-60s, when the Mall was planned, here's a post from an earlier thread on the Jackson Mall: https://www.city-data.com/forum/34480880-post2.html I based that post on what several older friends told me about Jackson in the '60s and '70s.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:49 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,409,012 times
I also remember the Orange Julius store in the Jackson Mall.
The JC Penney store retained its mid-20th Century signage throughout its existence.
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...s-penneys.html
Here in Cleveland, we used to receive Jackson TV stations from our local cable provider until 1980 or so, when they were replaced by new cable channels. I remember laying in bed early on a schools day listening to the morning news on one of the station and hearing the jingle “Jackson’s most unusual restaurant - LeFleur’s”.
https://www.wlbt.com/story/31233134/...ts-last-meals/

Last edited by Suesbal; 08-25-2022 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson