Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2024, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 186 times

Advertisements

The suburbs directly adjacent to Jackson(except Flowood) are starting to see population and economic decline (Clinton, Ridgeland, Pearl, and Byram).
-Clinton: Population has stablized/mildly declined in the city limits. White flight has been occurring in this area for a decade. The infrastructure is getting older and so is the population. With the exception of the Pocahontas/Pinehaven area, there are no new homes being built in this area.
-Pearl: Let’s face it, the Outlet mall is DECLINING. The American consumer mostly shops digitally nowadays, and even before COVID, the amount of traffic at the mall (which is the main thing Pearl has going for it) has been on a steady decline. In addition you are starting to see White flight in this area.
-Byram:The city relies on Jackson Water. The population is projected to have declined last year, and is projected to decline throughout the 2020s. The School District is a C school district. White Flight has already occurred in this area. Property values are PAINFULLY low as compared to other suburbs. Although the housing stock is much newer and nicer than pearl, the prices are similar. In addition the southern side of town is still in heavy decline, thus demand will likely plummet even further.
-Ridgeland:Probably the fastest decline on the list. So many apartments, a dead mall, poor schools, by far has the most current white flight on this list. Sad case really, it was one of the wealthiest, nicest suburbs in the Jackson area for a long time.

While it is not currently in decline, even Flowood is starting to see some white flight in my opinion. The white percentage is declining fairly quickly and most of the newer subdivisions being developed in Rankin are in the Pigah area

Last edited by BinklDinkl; 05-22-2024 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 07:36 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,863,010 times
Richland and Florence are still doing well.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:18 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,703,630 times
When I lived in the area from 2006 to 2015, I could look at all of the apartments in Ridgeland and in the County Line Road area (which is right on the border between Ridgeland and Jackson) and knew that it would end up being a problem.

Pearl is going to have another problem in the outlet mall area - the Mississippi Braves are in their final season in Pearl and will be moving Columbus, GA. So, the city is going to have to figure out what to do with Trustmark Park, which is going to be a challenge.

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 186 times
Clinton will become similar to Byram in my opinion, (middle class black people and older whites who can’t afford to move) Ridgeland will become similar North Jackson(an older, fairly urban area with extreme wealth inequality),Flowood will become similar to Ridgeland, and Pearl and Byram are going to become the next South Jackson. Pearl especially, as its main attractions are the mall (which is in decline) and the braves (which are moving). In addition the homes are extremely old, small, and cheaply built.

Flowood is a weird case because it isn’t just blatantly declining but there are a few vacancies (especially around dogwood) and white flight is starting to occur at the cities core. In addition there are a lot of apartments. It’s pretty much in the same position Ridgeland was in before it started becoming less desirable

Last edited by BinklDinkl; Yesterday at 06:18 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Richland and Florence are still doing well.
Florence, I agree with however I think this will be short lived. Most of the homes being built are done so quite cheaply in that area, and in addition it’s in the southern part of the metro, while Most of the long term growth patterns will be sustained in the northern part of the metro (Gluckstadt, Flora, Pisgah, Pocahontas). Florence reminds me of where Byram was in the late 2000s, and more than likely it’s being built by the same type of people; middle class white evangelicals with decent incomes but probably not university educated, and are trying to escape the changing demographics of their current area. What happens when black people move in? The same story always plays out in the Jackson area, because there is no real growth, as most major prospective employers and well educated people are not looking at Mississippi as a serious option to conduct business. Until the state legislature and city of Jackson officials decide to collaborate to make Jackson a decent city to live and work in, the area will continue to see no real growth and will just a collection of communities built by white people running from black people.

Homes in Richland are built so cheaply that they start aging 10 years post build. In addition the area is industrial. Don’t know if I would say it’s doing well

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,915,390 times
Madison and Hwy 80 Brandon will be the two longest standing nice suburbs. They both have a buffer between them a Jxn.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Madison and Hwy 80 Brandon will be the two longest standing nice suburbs. They both have a buffer between them a Jxn.
Madison will most definitely stay nice but may hop down a notch, and Brandon will be decent but not likely as nice. I think you could argue that Flora and Pisgah also have buffers from Jackson, and due them being relatively new in comparison to Brandon and Madison, they will most likely outshine them. Flora will become the new “happening” place where all the professionals, such as doctors, big businessmen, college professors and lawyers live, or are trying to move to. Pisgah will be mainly full of nurses, small-businessmen, middle class office workers, and upper level blue collar workers.
Flora is Madison’s replacement, and Pisgah is Brandon’s. More than likely, the top half income wise in Brandon will run to Pisgah. The question is who will replace them.
I don’t see either area (Madison and Brandon) even necessarily staying as affluent as their current level, let alone getting better, however they don’t border Jackson, thus I don’t believe they will fall much.

Old Today, 02:24 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,703,630 times
It's a tough situation. You can't run from the problems forever but people don't have it in them to confront the problems and force solutions. That takes hard work, actual leadership and a lot of citizens displaying a backbone. So, we spend our time running away from a subset of dysfunctional people who either don't know how to live in a civilized society or who aren't interested in living in a civilized society.

It's just easier for people to sell their houses, move a little further out and little further away from the crime, chaos and disfunction in the city rather than doing the former. I understand it but I hate that we have to do this just to live in peace. I wish we didn't have to live like this but it's the easier choice.

Last edited by Jardine8; Today at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson