Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
NWS NWS started this thread

720 posts, read 1,645,808 times

Advertisements

I really believe food defines a region. I just moved to Raymond Mississippi and I'm seeing far too many fast food and restaurant chains around. I went to a Penns Restaurant on hwy 18 and was shocked to receive artificial butter and artificial sour cream packages with my baked potato (yuck). Can you help a new Mississippian out with finding some real food that represents Mississippi? BBQ, Seafood, Ect, I'm not picky. I'm willing to travel 30-40 miles for the best real food in Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM

12 posts, read 41,104 times
I am so sorry about your experiences so far. Go to downtown Jackson, in the Fondren area you will find some great places - lunch Basils. Kifer's is by Baptist hospital - yum! Up I-55 is Bon Ami, by Highland Village shopping center. Also Char. Happy eating!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM
NWS NWS started this thread

720 posts, read 1,645,808 times
Thank you cdvxb I will check out those locations. I know MS can throw down when it comes to food. It's funny some of the best food is in places that look so run down. I got some great ribs from a place inside a gas station the other day. I just know I can do better though. I was watching a TV show a few weeks ago. A guy was traveling along the delta by motorcycle looking for great food. He claimed the best Fried Chicken he ever tasted was in a run down town at a place called called the General Store 18801 Highway 61 in Lorman, MS.
I'm tempted to make a run there. It's about 1 hour and 30 minute ride from me. Anyone here ever eat there?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM

235 posts, read 774,143 times
Talking Food you want!!!

WELL LETS SEE BERRYS SEAFOOD ON HWY 49 IN FLORENCE,THEY HAVE THE SEAFOOD SEWEDUP EVERYTHING FROM CATFISH TO FRIEDOYSTERS CRABLEGS,ECT...BBQ HICKORY PIT IN NORTHJACKSON OFF OF CANTON MART OFF OF I55,THEN IF YOU LIKE HOMECOOKED FOOD MAMAS KITCHEN IN RICHLAND,OFF OF HWY 49 TURN AT THE CONACO TO THE RIGHT OFF OF HWY49 IT BEHIND THE FIRE STATION,YOU HAVE TO LOOK TO YOUR LEFT CANT THINK OF THE ROAD.!!!! BUT IT IS WORTH LOOKING FOR!! FAMLIY OWNED!!!! ANOTHER FAMLY OWNED IS AUNTBEE'S IN BRANDON OFF OF HWY80 !!!IF YOU WANT ANOTHER BBQ GO UP HWY 49 TOWARD YAZOO CITY & IN POCOHONTAS(MAYBE THATS RIGHT) ANYWAY LOOK FOR BIG D'S ITS A BIG TEE PEE!!!!REALYCOOL!!!! THEY LAST BUT NOT LEAST GO UP TO FLORA &LOOK FOR HASTE TASTEE ON THE RIGHT!!!

WELL THESE ARE SOME GOOD PLACES TO GO !!! MAYBE THIS WILL HELP!!
IF YOU LIVE IN RAYMOND,YOUR NOT FAR FROM US WE'RE IN BYRAM.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 AM

12 posts, read 41,104 times
The Lorman general store rocks on some fried chicken. Being in Raymond, you are not that far from Vicksburg. The Tomato Place on Hwy 61 S is a hole in the wall with the best BLT and cheesburger on earth! They also sell fresh veggies, shelled peas, homemade pies, etc... Jacques restaurant on Clay street inside the Battlefield Inn is great for a sit down dinner. Angus steaks, seafood etc... and at prices you cannot beat! I also love Billy's Italian in the Vicksburg Outlet Mall - his meat pizza will make you slap yo' mama!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM

114 posts, read 419,452 times
local restaurants -
Seafood Vassilios Madison
home cooking Annie D's Brandon Sunday noon buffet

Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 AM

36 posts, read 148,045 times
its been a few years since i lived in jackson, some of these may be gone now, but some old favorites.

2 sisters downtown-southern food
bravo in highland village-italian
big d's on hwy 49 is the best bbq
que sera on state st-cajun, try the gumbo and red beans and rice
keifers by baptist hospital in belhaven-greek
mayflower downtown-breakfast

if you drive north on hwy 51 out or ridgeland there is a log cabin on theleft hand side, can't remember the name but they have a good bbq buffet at lunch, get there shortly before 11 if you want to eat.

Char in highland village-steakhouse
CS's on west st behind millsaps-good burgers, scary neighborhood
Little willie's meat market on spillway rd in the shopping center behind the waterpark has great food, try the pork chop sandwich
Stamps superburgers off of northside dr just west of the interstate-good huge burger
Amerigos in ridgeland on old canton rd-italian
Little Tokyo 1 and 2-sushi
Nagoya in the target shopping center on I-55-sushi
There was an excellent Chinese restaurant in the quarter shopping center on Lakeland Dr in Jackson with mongolian style buffet, the name escapes me

Madison House (i think) at the Gluckstadt exit, turn right-southern food buffet
If Scrooges is still open go for lunch and try the blue plate special or their burger, it was always good

Hal and Mals downtown-decent food, good live music, and unless anything has changed it is the only independent microbrewery in Mississippi

I have worked at several of these places, and ate at all of them regularly. Like i said, some may be gone now as its been almost 4 years since i moved away.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:16 PM

106 posts, read 398,897 times
Amazed that no one has mentioned the family owned "Mama Hamils" in Madison, MS yet.

Their website is at: Mama Hamil's

The southern food there is great and authentic. They are always packed with customers. - One testament to the quality of the food is the large number of grossly obese people you will see there. - Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Traditional Southern cooking is high calorie and is designed for hard-working folk, who work it off.

Unfortunately, these days, there seem to be a large number of obese people who apparently don't work, and just don't burn it off.

Still office workers, etc, who can control their portions (it's buffet style) also make an appearance at Hamils and do well here, enjoying the great food.

To repeat - THE FOOD IS GREAT!!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
Best Brisket and an $8 buffet you can't beat - Lumpkin's on Raymond Rd in Jackson
Big, Delicious Burger - Cool Al's on McWillie Dr in Jackson and Rooster's on State St in Fondren
Good Irish Lunch - Fenian's on Fortification St in Jackson
New Orleans Style Brunch/Cajun - Que Sera Sera on State St in Fondren
Authentic Pizza - Sal & Mookie's right off State St in Fondren and the Pizza Shak on State St across from Baptist Hospital
Unique Southern Cuisine - Julep's in Highland Village, the Auditorium in the old Duling school in Fondren, and Two Sisters on George St in Downtown
Best $$$ Restaurant - Walker's on State St in Fondren and Nick's on Lakeland Dr (moving to Fondren soon)
Mediterranean - Aladdin on Lakeland Dr in Fondren
Authentic Caribbean - Taste of the Island on Capitol St in Downtown
Best Japanese take out - OEC located in Flowood, Madison, and Ridgeland
Best Sushi - Sakura Bana and Little Tokyo
Best Thai - Thai House on I-55 N Frontage Rd in Jackson
Great Plate Lunch - Ole Tavern on George St in Downtown and Mayflower Cafe on Capitol St in Downtown
Good Crabcake Burger - F. Jones Corner on Farish St in Downtown
Best Philly Cheesesteak - Miller's Grill on Capitol St in Downtown
Best Fried Chicken Sandwich - Rooster's on State St in Fondren

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. Also, the Jackson Free Press releases a "Best Of" List every year which can be found here:
http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/inde..._drink_012109/

Old 11-14-2009, 08:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Just got back from Sal and Mookie's. Had the spinach-artichoke dip and hummus--both great. Three pizzas, a gyro, a panini, and a stromboli. All were incredible. Check out their menu. You'll have trouble deciding which one to commit to. Sal and Mookie's New York Pizza & Ice Cream Joint in Jackson, MS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson