Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times

Advertisements

Allow me to bring in another perspective in the matter - the idea that in practically every metropolitan area with more than about 1/3 million people all the way up to the New Yorks of the world, certain sections of the metro area tend to attract people with a certain mentality. The same is true for Jackson as for Atlanta, albeit on a smaller scale. Therefore, I think that any metro area with at least 1/3 milion people (the tri-county metro has about 450K) will offer a little something for everyone, even if not quite as much as Atlanta.

Yes, Jackson is quite segregated - it has been since there was ever such a place as Jackson. However, it's interesting to note that, like practically all other medium and large cities, the closer you get to downtown, the more diverse and accepting it is going to be. In Jackson's case, that would be:

The Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods (just west of I-55, between High St. and Northside Drive). The oldest continuously middle-class neighborhood in Jackson, this doubles as the city's emerging artsy-bohemian area, with a small but vibrant liberal/progressive community. It also has coffee shops, bars, a non-chain natural foods co-op, two liberal arts colleges (one of them surprisingly liberal, especially for Mississippi -- Millsaps College), Banner Hall, which has Lemuria Books, the city's best book store. Furthermore, Belhaven and North Fondren's Meadowbrook Rd are the center's of the state's gay community. So despite the state's reputation, there are places a prospective resident with progressive leanings can go to and feel reasonably safe.

The main downside is that F & B could use a bit more racial diversity, but even in this case, it's still around 10% non-white -- still more than suburban Madison's. Even so, minorities should not feel uncomfortable here at all.

Northeast Jackson - Immediately to the north of Fondren and east of I-55 is Eastover, the closest thing to Buckhead in Jackson. Many homes in this are run as high as $2.5 to 3 Mil. The areas further north are of decreasing affluence, but always at least middle-middle class. If you want the conventional strip mall type shopping, you'd have good access to two such areas: Lakeland Drive (immediately across the river in Rankin Co) and the County Line Road area, at the northern boundary of Jackson. However, I'd reccommend Lakeland Drive, if at all possible because the traffic on County Line is a complete nightmare - literally as bad as Dallas and Atlanta freeways at rush hour.

Personally, were I to live in the area, I'd definitely live in the Fondren and Belhaven areas (though that's a function of my social and political beliefs as much as anything else - but that's just me).

Ridgeland is across County Line from Jackson. Here you'll find Northpark Mall and a lot of chain-strip development. This is a racially and economically diverse suburb, though I can't say any part of it is horrid. Traffic here is an absolute nightmare though, especially at rush hour. However, Ridgeland is really top-heavy with renters (I heard 48% of the residents here rent, but I can't actually vouch for that). If you are looking to put your kids in public school in a racially diverse environment, then I'd look to Ridgeland HS.

Madison (City of) - Both the richest and (arguably) the most sprawling suburb of Jackson: $1/2 million houses on 4 or 5 acres, lots of artificial lakes, curving cul-de-sacs, etc. Now this is one of those places you either love or love to hate - not much gray area in the opinion department. Some say it's a good family oriented area, and on paper it is - probably the best in the state. However, it turns off a lot of folks because of its reputation for being image-conscious and pretentions, and even people in Ridgeland (Madison's southern neighbor) often resent the city's blatant materialism and class consciousness. Don't even ask about the faux-classy/tacky gas stations and the faux-classy Wal-Mart there!!! (can't you tell that I can't stand Madison <haha>). On the good side, Madison Central H.S. is one of, if not THE, best high school in the whole state. So if you insist on the best public education in the area, then you might want to spend an extra few hundred dollars on mortgage expenses so your kids can attend Madison Central.

Rankin County - to the east of Jackson. Northern Rankin is quite similar to Madison, though not quite as upscale. If you like tall pine trees, I'd look to North Rankin (many more trees cut down in Madison Co). The schools aren't too bad here either. Personally, I'd say NW Rankin HS offers the best education for the dollar, all cost of living aspects taken into account. Although like most suburban areas, this area is much more conservative than Fondren/Belhaven, at least this area doesn't suffer from Madison's reputation for snotty nouveau-riche elitism.

Clinton - on the west side of Jackson. The main feature here is Mississippi College, a strongly Southern Baptist institution. MC does much to set the tone for Clinton. Socio-Economically, I'd say it's a lot like north Rankin, albeit somewhat more racially diverse. So this is another option for you if you don't mind, or even want, the conservative religious influence.

Well, that's it for the middle and upper middle class areas of the Jackson Metro. If you want any ohter insights, feel free to post more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 04:19 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Good perspective Phil-you deserve rep for the helpfulness of your response.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:55 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times
Madison is the best. If you liked Atlanta, you will not like Rankin County.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 147,772 times
in resonse to your comment I do not define the quality of life in terms of malls. It's just that atlanta and jackson ms( where i lived for 25 years) are total opposites. jackson is not a very cultured city to live in. as far as residential areas, there really are not many options besides madison county or rankin county. the city of jackson itself is not a place to settle. clinton is o.k. I have lived here my entire life. I have know this entrie metro area inside out.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Atlantabound,

My post simply tried to address as wide a variety of people as possible. Personally, I don't define quality of life by malls either. In fact, I think too many malls and chain stores hurt the authenticity of an area - just another generic everywhere.

As for Atlanta (and Dallas as well) and Jackson, I agree they are total opposites. For example, Atlanta is in the top 5 in per capita gay concentration among the 50 largest metro areas. Little Five Points in Atlanta is undoubtedly a genuinely progressive area (along with DeKalb Co., the eastern half of ATL inside the perimeter). Jackson, by contrast, has only Fondren & Belhaven - both of which are more accurately described as moderate havens rather than liberal havens. I'd not be surprised if even Atlanta's middle class suburban Gwinnett Co thinks more like Fondren that like Jackson's suburban areas. So your criticisms are well-grounded.

On the other hand, it's probably more fair to compare Atlanta to the larger Florida and Texas metros than to Jackson, which is only 10% the size of Atlanta. I'm sure you wouldn't think it fair to compare metro Jackson and Warren Co. (Vicksburg); the former also only 10% the size of the latter.

Wonder how Jackson compares to the Miss GC, Montgomery, Pensacola, Shreveport, Little Rock, and Lafayette La.?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:28 PM

23 posts, read 147,772 times
good response PHIl 75230

Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM

227 posts, read 293,155 times
i WOULD NOT make a substantial investment within the city of Jackson. I just wouldn't. There is no leadership or vision for making the city a good place to live. There is a reason Madison and Rankin are flourishing....

Now before someone accuses me of being another suburbanite yuppie in a McMansion, i actually live in an old part of Charlotte, in an older house in a progressive neighborhood and love it..
the difference is, charlotte even with its problems, is far and away more forward thinking than the city of jackson.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM

7 posts, read 38,234 times
I just left Charlotte, Atl too much, I've always like Jax...good luck!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 54,677 times
Hello LeavingtheATL

Well first of all I would like to welcome you to Jackson. I don't think you will miss Atlanta too much. Atlanta may have more shopping but Jackson is in the midst of a major retail boom. We already have 3 major malls and two other mall-like shopping centers. One mall is under construction and it will have Dillards, Macy's, and JCpenny. We have an upper class shopping center, one major high class shopping center and lifestyle center under construction (I am not even going to take time to name all of the major upper class chains it will have), a major outlet mall under contruction,oh and if you like to see movies you will LOVE!!! our new Malco Grandview theater it is verrrrry nice, and new Burlington Coat factory coming to one of our older malls. Downtown is starting to grow with a lot of retail as well. Then there is the premier development going on in the state: The Harbour Walk. It will be a waterfront setting and will be full of specialty shops and restaurants plus high rise luxury lofts and will be anchored by a Hotel Valencia (only 5 other locations in the world ). But Jackson Metro is full of entertainment already. So Jackson is most certainly not boring or dull. And as far as living goes, North Jackson, Ridgeland, Madison, Clinton or Brandon are nice areas. Over all, Jackson Metro is a great place to live.

Good Luck on your move!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Talking Jackson is home to the Mississippi Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
What you dont have in Jackson is pro sports, cultural amenities, nearly as many places to eat, international airport etc... Atlanta is a metropolis and not really comparable to Jackson in any way. If you are expecting a little ATL forget it.
Here is where you can get a little Atlanta in Jackson. For pro sports, Atlanta does have a connection with Atlanta, as the Jackson area is home to the Mississippi Braves, the Atlanta Braves' Class AA minor league affiliate in the Southern League.

Ken Akerman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson