Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 04:56 PM

27 posts, read 91,386 times

Advertisements

Am planning to depart in a few months from Jackson on Amtrak headed to Chicago.

Was wondering if there is long-term (15 days) parking available near the Amtrak station. If so, is it a secure location safe to leave a vehicle that long?

If the parking doesn't work out, is there a car rental agency at/near the station where I might be able to drive in a rental, drop it off, then pick up another rental on my return?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
There are several parking garages in downtown that you can park at. I'm not sure how much they charge, but there would be no problem parking there long term. There are also some parking lots downtown, but not sure on their policy for long term parking.

Do you know anyone in Jackson? You could park at a friend's house and have them drop you off/pick you up.

My wife and I may make that trip to Chicago via Amtrak this summer, probably June or July.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 AM

jacksonian, thank you for that information. I do know a few people in Jackson but I'm not sure about parking at their house. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm thinking that the long term parking, even with the cost involved may be the way I have to go.

I really appreciate your input. I hope you and your wife get to make that trip. This will be our first ever experience with Amtrak, so we're looking forward to it.

Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM

I rode Amtrak from Jackson to New Orleans last year, and it was a very pleasant experience. There's so much room, and the chairs are like recliners, nothing like on airplanes. The diner car was my favorite though, because you could meet people there, play cards, have a drink, order appetizers, etc. It's also nice being able to gaze at the scenery instead of watching the road. You'll see people sitting on porches in small towns, and they'll smile and wave to you.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,370 times
I've made the trip to chicago many times and always enjoyed it for the most part. It got really crowded there for a while which I guess is good for amtrak but not so good for a large fellow who has always been spoiled by having an entire seating area to himself. I love the passenger cars, they're incredibly quiet and most are very comfy. By the time you make your trip the cars may have been upgraded so I expect you'll have an even nicer experience. Only problem with amtrak is everything goes through chicago, so when I went from greenwood to fort worth I had to go all the way to chicago and then double back! I rented a compartment for that two day jog and enjoyed the BEST food - the steak on the train was better than the 60 dollar steak I had in my 4 star hotel in "cattle country!"

Where are you? Can you not just have someone drop you off at the train station? I realize it kinda sucks to think of taking the bus, but the bus station is right near the train station in jackson, if I had to make such a trip I would definitely consider that rather than leave my car in an unsafe location with little protection. Of course, if you LIVE in an unsafe area and have no garage maybe the parking garage would be a good way to go

There are several parking areas near the train station in jackson. I used to live right in that area and remember walking from place to place. Depending on your health it may be a bit too much to lug things around, but even a taxi should be very cheap given the short distances involved.

The City of New Orleans has given me a new appreciation for Chicago. I love that I can hop on a train and go to the big city without having to drive all that way or fight my way through airports and sardine can planes. For 500 bucks one can enjoy a nice weekend away from it all, take in a show and a nice dinner and be back ready for action monday morning.

Here's some shots from a trip. It's a great ride.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 AM

jacksonian and poptones, your Amtrak experiences are welcomed reading. There will be 3 of us on the trip and it will be a first time train journey for all of us. We're really looking forward to it, and I'm hoping to relax and enjoy the scenery without having to drive for a change!

I live about 100 miles away from Jackson. The bus might be an option....I'll check into it. If the parking garages are secure I don't mind leaving a vehicle there. These days I shudder leaving a vehicle unattended almost anywhere for that length of time, but maybe a garage would be okay. Maybe.

Everyone I know who might drop us off has a job (who knows when THAT might change, though?) and wouldn't be able to carry us without taking off work.

Both of you have provided some really valuable advice, and I appreciate it.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 AM

If you makes you feel any better, I park in a parking garage downtown everyday for work, 8-5, and when I have to work on weekends I park on the street in front of my building (on street parking is free on the weekends and also 5 pm to 7 am). The parking garages are obviously more safe than on street parking, but the parking downtown is not as bad as some make it out to be. My parking garage, located at the corner of Pascagoula St and West St, has someone working the booth everyday and for extended hours (beyond 5pm). The best advice is to not leave anything of value in your car that is in clear view through the window, especially if you park on-street. That is the #1 reason for car break-ins. If you follow that one rule, you're 99% less likely to have anything happen to your car or your possessions. I have been working downtown for 3 years now and have never had any incident occur. On my trip to New Orleans, I knew it was just a weekend trip, so I just parked on Capitol St across from the train station and the King Edward.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM

semperfi, where do you live in the state? I also live about 100 miles from jackson - if you live in this direction (North, I live right off i-55 about 90mi n of jackson) I might be able to help out...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM

jacksonian, that makes me feel better about the parking garages. It helps to have that kind of info from someone with personal experience.

(By the way, how is work progressing on the King Edward? My parents honeymooned there in 1945!!! It's nice to see it being restored.)

poptones, I'm in the Meridian area so I'm a bit out of the way of your route. Please know that your very generous offer is much appreciated, though!

If there was just an Amtrak connection from Meridian to Jackson, that would solve the problem!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM

How silly! Of course there's a connector from meridian to jackson! All you need to do is pickup the crescent in meridian to washington DC. From DC take the capitol ltd to chicago and take the city of new orleans to jackson!

Its sad how limited amtrak routes have become in recent years. it seems our new president is intent on developing a better rail system, I certainly hope some of this is successful.

Anyway, you can get to chicago from meridian via amtrak if you switch in DC, which also might be a nice trip. Of course, the bus from meridian to jackson is pretty quick and doesnt cost much... cheaper than parking I would venture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson