Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM

114 posts, read 223,307 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was wondering if anyone moved from Chicago, IL to Jackson, MS recently. I want to know how is your experience in Jackson, MS and enjoyment of some of its sites.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anyone moved from Chicago, IL to Jackson, MS recently. I want to know how is your experience in Jackson, MS and enjoyment of some of its sites.

I have family all over Chicago and some have moved down here for a more slower pace on everything when compared to Chicago. You will be coming into an area completed different from where you are now. We currently do not have the tourist attractions, beach, restaurants, hotels, nightlife, sports, and public transportation that would even be compared on a level like Chi-town. Most of us are home-based and love and care about Jackson. I've been up to Chi about 5 times and one thing I can say is our people will be a lot friendlier when communicating with everyone and not just family. What I mean about that is all my family members born and raised up there were very nice, their married partner and friends. But we did not get the same experience from everyone in the public sector.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 78,450 times
I've been in the Jackson area for a few months now and the people aren't THAT friendly. People from my home town of Raleigh, NC are much nicer.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
I would move there first in a hotel and see how u like it. Im from chicago orginally moved to FL then got transfered here in MS. I am leaving tomorrow back to chicago. I have been here a month and that is long enough never again will i be in this state.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PThree View Post
I would move there first in a hotel and see how u like it. Im from chicago orginally moved to FL then got transfered here in MS. I am leaving tomorrow back to chicago. I have been here a month and that is long enough never again will i be in this state.
It'd be so helpful if you'd elaborate on this with specifics. Is it the weather or the people or the scenery, etc?

I've done a lot of reading in the different states and Ms. has always seemed to be one of the more welcoming and friendly Southern states. (speaking as a Midwesterner) Is gauging the friendliness of a state by the state forums not very accurate?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,722 times
Mississippi has a much slower pace than Chicago. That is probably the hardest thing for people from bigger cities to get accustomed to. People in MS, on the whole, take time to relate to one another. And unless it is Christmas and the malls are about to close, don't expect people to be in a hurry.

Jackson doesn't have nearly the level of sophisticated entertainment venues as Chicago. There is a symphony and some great museums, but professional sports are pretty far away, though you will find minor league baseball in Jackson on Lakeland Dr.

The weather can be quite hot, and usually very humid. Don't be surprised if you find yourself turning on the AC in the winter to cut the humidity. The wind of the Windy City doesn't reach Jackson. Unless there is a storm, 10 mph winds is a windy day.

On the other hand, the flowers in MS are fantastic! They love the humidity.

If you gain weight in MS, it is understandable. The food is excellent. Fried catfish, hushpuppies, homemade slaw, turnip greens, and cornbread are just a few reasons to move to MS.

There is some gang stuff in Jackson. Watch out for that. On the other hand, there is evidence of a very real rich cultural history to be found there as well. Definitely take time to explore that.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PThree View Post
I have moved many times in my life and I can tell you from experience that one month is not enough time to make this transition. I used to joke that by the time I found a grocery store, dry cleaner, alterationist, shoe repair and hair dresser that I liked, it was time to move again. My average time to feel really settled in somewhere, where I had at least one friend (as opposed to acquaintances) was 18 months. I'm not really outgoing so it's hard to make friends; you may be able to do it faster.

Even when you want to move somewhere, you should expect a transition period that will be sometimes quite unpleasant. Especially when you move someplace where you have no friends or family, it can be really rough.

Knowing what to expect helps. Expect that things will be different and unfamiliar. I know that sounds academic, but we think "hey, it's the same country, we speak the same language, we share the same national government," but there are profound but subtle cultural differences everywhere. Sometimes the differences are not subtle.

Know that the grocery store won't be exactly like the one you used for years. Some of the ingredients and brands you love won't be available. You will have to go through some trial and error to find something that you like. You might think that this is a trivial consideration, but don't underestimate the amount of comfort that familiar food brings when everything around you is different (even if it is GOOD different, it's going to be stressful, and it won't all be good different).

I have found that I can make myself really unhappy longing for the things that were available to me in the old place that are not where I am now, or I can open up my eyes and look around me. I can look for what is here, try it with an open mind, learn to appreciate it and develop a sense of belonging in the new place. It takes work. It will take longer than a month. Some days will be great, and others will be lonely and miserable. If I keep putting one foot in front of the other, I'll eventually walk out of the lonely miserable place.

Moving can be a great adventure, but on a day by day basis, it can be pretty hard. Do it with your eyes open and enjoy your new home, wherever it is!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,099 times
Please keep in mind who the OP is here.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Please keep in mind who the OP is here.
It's late for me, so I guess I don't see what your point was. I think the responses have been appropriate. I never lived in Chicago but visited there frequently while growing up in St. Louis. It's a big change but it depends on if you are ready for it. Chicago is a huge city with lots of diversity, fast-paced etc. Miss is much slower paced, friendlier in a superficial way and not as much night life. It's also cheaper, less stressful of a lifestyle, warmer winters etc. Keeping an open mind is really the key to adjustment, and knowing what your priorities are. Actually Chicago used to be a much friendlier city than the conservative St. Louis but I've heard that has changed. Don't know since I have not been to either recently but used to love them both. Everyplace has its own special qualities, it's a matter of finding them in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
Look through the OP's posts and you'll see what the problem is. Every post made has the same format:

"So I heard Mississippi is last in the country in everything from hearsay and random articles I never link to. I just wanted to know whether you believe that Mississippi will ever enter the first world and become as civilized as Chicago.

Remember that I'm a Christian just like the rest of you so don't think that I'm trying to belittle you even though I actually am.

"

To put it shortly, the OP is basically a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson