Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 33,635 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am in an inter-racial relationship currently living in Virginia with a teenage son. For business reasons my better half maybe relocating to Madison, Mississippi. My question is how will we be treated and looked at? How will my son get along with the other kids? My son is a very happy and friendly child. I am thinking of putting him in Catholic school in Madison. Has Madison moved on from the Mississippi history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 27,517 times
Default moving on

I suspect it has. It's not Madison, but when I go to the Wal-mart in Senatobia, I'd say 30% of the women I see have children with them who were clearly fathered by someone of much darker descent than they were. And sometimes I see interracial couples.
And I see quite a few lesbian couples.

And no one is reacting to any of them.

Most of the movies made today that are set in the south, are still set in 1950. That was almost 60 years ago. Maybe it's Hollywood who needs to move on.

We've got some mean and nasty white folk here.
And some equally scary mean and nasty black folk.
But, I do recall mean and nasty folks in every other state I've been in as well, which is all but six states.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM

382 posts, read 1,069,626 times
Mississippi is not as it appears in the movies. You will find a much more accepting society here. I do not think you will find the problems you fear. Having said that, you will always find people who are ignorant and vicious no matter where you go. The people of the south are more tolerant than protrayed and most tend to bend over backwards to prove how far we have advanced. Also, there are many adoptive/foster parents, of all descents, who have interracial children; children who, by all appearances, are very well loved.

Good luck with the move and the new job. Hope all works out well for you and your family.

BTW, welcome to C-D. I hope you will stick around. Check out the relationship forum as you will find a good support system if you would like to communicate with others in your particular situation.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM

31 posts, read 150,140 times
Default Interracial couple coming to Madison,MS

You will have no problem in Madison, as I live in Madison as well. Madison being a suburb of Jackson, nothing happens around here, there is very little to do here. We you go shopping, out to eat, to the movies or whatever, you might an occassional stare or two but no one will harass you espeically not in the Madison area. I will tell you that my wife and I are looking to move, but only because there is nothing to do here, and that when we have children so that they can have more diverse oppourtunities than what is currently in Jackson.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM

268 posts, read 1,015,334 times
I think living close to Jackson will make it much easier for you. I won't say that there aren't pockets of stubborn folks who just don't want to change their ways.....that that is all over the US, not just Mississippi. I live on the Coast and no one evens thinks twice about interracial relationships. I would venture to guess that of the students I teach, 10-15%are from interracial relationships. It is not uncommon at all.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 33,635 times
Default St. Joseph's

does anyone know about St. Joseph's Catholic School?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 26,592 times
Default St Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemom View Post
does anyone know about St. Joseph's Catholic School?

I know it is a fairly good school in terms of academics. I also know that it serves as a feeder school, athletically speaking, for Madison Central, as any accomplished athlete in any sport is going to get attention from the local public school.

I guess it depends on why you want your kids there. The Madison public school is highly accredited in a fairly affluent town, although much of Madison county itself is lower income or poverty level. If you are going to send your kids to St Joe, you had better buy in Madison or North Jackson, because the reservoir commute stinks and South/West Jackson are economically dying. East Jackson heading towards Ross Barnett Reservoir is OK, but not as safe as Madison will be.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 53,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb2346 View Post
I know it is a fairly good school in terms of academics. I also know that it serves as a feeder school, athletically speaking, for Madison Central, as any accomplished athlete in any sport is going to get attention from the local public school.

I guess it depends on why you want your kids there. The Madison public school is highly accredited in a fairly affluent town, although much of Madison county itself is lower income or poverty level. If you are going to send your kids to St Joe, you had better buy in Madison or North Jackson, because the reservoir commute stinks and South/West Jackson are economically dying. East Jackson heading towards Ross Barnett Reservoir is OK, but not as safe as Madison will be.
Athletics are terrible in Madison all together

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

36 posts, read 171,093 times
What? How odd. The [Madison] Jags are superior in soccer and swimming. I don't follow football, but in those two sports the Jags excel.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 37,026 times
Of course it has; the people in Madison County are educated. As long as you are refined and educated, you will be judged on that; not anything else. If you are a Christian then you know that people will respond to you in a Christian manner and it has nothing to do with your race. BTW, I am from Madison County Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson