Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 AM

58 posts, read 199,690 times

Advertisements

At 12:10 this morning, Frank Melton, the mayor of Jackson, died from cardiac arrest that occured Tuesday evening. He was very polarizing and I didn't always agree with his methods on how he ran the city. I do believe that he sincerely wanted to make Jackson a better place to live. Even so, I am sadden by his death and my prayers goes out to his friends and family.

If y'all have any comments, I would like to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
It should also be noted that Frank Melton was admitted to the hospital on the same day that the democratic primary election for mayor took place, in which he was a candidate. He collapsed at his home around 7:30 pm, just 30 minutes after the polls closed. The knowledge of his poor health was well known, but at times, it had seemed like a crutch that Melton used during his court battles. So, when the news was first released that he was admitted to the hospital, it did not come as a shock to most citizens. However, once the details started to flow out, the situation was clearly much more serious than any of his previous health complications. With or without his will, Melton always knew how to take the spotlight. Out of 10 candidates, he came in 3rd that night in the election, which meant he did not make the runoff which is deemed for the top 2 finishers. With his life in limbo over the next two days, the state of the City was surreal to say the least. Now that news has broke that he has passed, a serene calmness seems to have blanketed the entire City this morning.

I have followed Frank Melton over the past few years, and he was quite the character. When he was running for mayor in 2005, he had an understanding of our need to form cooperative, collaborative relationships with local, county and state officials, as well as the business community. He spoke passionately about the need to bring real economic development into Jackson, to repair streets and infrastructure, and to address housing and urban decay. He wanted to address the overwhelming crime problem head-on and make a marked difference in his first year in office.

His vision was to rebuild the city with youth trained in well-paying jobs as apprentices to the construction trade. The work would be funded by a national retirement trust managed by the unions. It was so simple, so perfect and so right: young men from the inner city getting a opportunity to learn a lifelong trade, at above average pay. Best of all, their work efforts would rebuild the very communities from which they came! This was economic development, social justice and civic pride all wrapped into one!

The campaign was hard, but he won. He won because of the ideals that made so many fall in love with him - the ideals which were so right for Jackson. But true love means letting go, especially when letting go will restore health and well-being to the parties in the relationship. The City of Jackson has to let him go. His heart was in the right place, yet ironically it was his heart that brought his tenure to an end. But, for all of us who knew Frank, we all knew that he would go out in style, with just as much surprise as his career as mayor brought to our City. My thoughts are with his friends and family, as I know he was a passionate man and I'm sure his family and friends all felt the love and care that Melton emitted.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM

58 posts, read 199,690 times
You are right. There is a sense of calm in the city. When I first heard the news Tuesday night, I was like "What now?" As time went on, I too knew it was something much more serious. I just hope that Jackson can move forward now and that the new administration, whoever that may be, will return Jackson to the great city it once was.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
I would like to send my deepest sympathy out to the Melton Family. I did not like our current Mayor at all and I did not agree with most of his tactics or decisions. I said 2 years ago that he needs to focus on his health and not the city of Jackson. It was just too stressful for him to handle. I do think he had a passion for the city and turning crime around, however the methods used to show progress was not accepted by most "jacksonians," the same ones who "majority" voted him in office. If someone can name one positive outcome he's done for the city in terms of growth and opportunity please let me know.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:07 AM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
If you want to get troubled kids out of the hood you have to give them jobs. Criticising him for actually doing this is a lame duck.

There's a difference between leading and representing. It seems to me he wasn't elected to be a politician, he was elected to be a leader. He may have ruffled some feathers, but it does seem as though he had a plan and no one can argue he didn't act on that plan.

Without going all Godwin on this discussion I'll point out many leaders have faced harsh judgement by their contemporaries... folks ranging from Columbus to Julius Caesar to Huey P Long.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
That may have been his downfall though. He was passionate, and I don't think anyone would deny that. But, as a mayor, you have multiple responsibilities and you need to focus on them all, covering the broad spectrum. Frank focused on kids and "some" crime. That was it. He did nothing for the city's infrastructure, economic development, or education system. That is why he was good in the Bureau of Narcotics. It was focused on crime, and that's what he did while he was there. You can't treat the office of mayor like that if you want to be successful.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
for all that spoke negatively in favor of mayor frank melton you did not know him as a person...he was truly one of the best mayors to serve mississippi and he will be missed deeply

Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aletha barnes View Post
for all that spoke negatively in favor of mayor frank melton
Spoke negatively in favor of? Not in the English language.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aletha barnes View Post
for all that spoke negatively in favor of mayor frank melton you did not know him as a person...he was truly one of the best mayors to serve mississippi and he will be missed deeply
Honestly I don't think he will ever be one of the best mayors in Mississippi. We cannot credit him for anything he did while in office to even carry a label like that. Now I will agree with what you're aiming at in saying he made more legal coverage, a series of lawsuits, and media coverage than any other mayor in Mississippi.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:36 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
For all that spoke positively against Frank, he always never aimed back at the future.

He had enough charisma to be mayor again some day from the grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson