Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM

15 posts, read 78,313 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've moved here for graduate school and I swear to GOD that train that runs through EVERY DAY, even at 4AM is going to drive me to murder somebody. Just joking about the murder but seriously I've only lived here for a few months so far but how the hell do residents cope with this loud MOTHER ****ING TRAIN! I can't sleep. Why don't they turn off the damn siren at night? Don't they know that people have to sleep!! I don't even live that close to the tracts but it is still loud as hell!! WTFF!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,858 times
After awhile, you get used to it. Just have a hot toddy before bedtime in the meantime, and you will sleep through the night.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,385 times
I don't know why but this thread reminds me of The Waterboy where Bobby Boucher says "You sound like a big choo choo train".

Old 12-15-2009, 01:38 PM

35 posts, read 117,515 times
Cheer up! Miss. Dept. of Transportation is working to establish Clinton as a quiet zone. An ongoing project to make railroad crossings safer and quieter. Once completed, the trains will not sound horns when passing through Clinton. I do not know completion date.

Maybe by the time you finish school or clean up your language project will be complete. In the meantime try earplugs... works for me.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORPHEUS311 View Post
Cheer up! Miss. Dept. of Transportation is working to establish Clinton as a quiet zone. An ongoing project to make railroad crossings safer and quieter. Once completed, the trains will not sound horns when passing through Clinton. I do not know completion date.

Maybe by the time you finish school or clean up your language project will be complete. In the meantime try earplugs... works for me.
Earplugs don't do you any good when you're trying to watch a movie on your 56" HDTV and Sony surround sound system and 4-5 trains that are so loud that they literally drown out the surround sound blast through town during those two hours. I've lived in Clinton my whole life, and never have the trains been as frequent or as loud as they have been in recent years. It's become highly annoying and frustrating to the point that I and my family have actually discussed moving away from Clinton. I'm a deep sleeper, so they don't bother me normally while I'm asleep, but during the day and evening hours I can never sit down and enjoy a quiet meal or enjoy my entertainment system without these absurdly loud trains making my head spin.

Just as someone else said, I don't even live right by the track. It doesn't matter. These train horns carry clear across town and sound just as loud a couple of miles away as they do at the RR crossing. If they weren't as frequent, I wouldn't complain as much as I do these days, but there have been days where we literally have up to 40+ trains come through town.

I know the city has been working on silencing the train horns, but the time it's taking has gone beyond my patience. It's been years since they started, and just when I think they may finally get it done another year passes by, and then another year passes by. They actually have had "No Train Horn" signs posted for a considerable amount of time now, and they frankly serve as an embarrassing reminder that they've yet to actually silence them. This so-called "most livable city" is a sham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson