Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,370 times

Advertisements

entrepreneur: one who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of a business or enterprise

Businesses exist to make money or to provide support (money or otherwise) to other entities. While I can see how printing up a bunch fo slogan shirts and giving them away might provide some amount of exposure, I fail to see how they can provide any level of sustainability. IOW that ain't much of a business, and if the person doing this had that as his only plan, has not much of that "entrepreneurial spirit."

I learned enough in the dot-bomb to know "branding" means nothing. This is a city you're talking about; if the goal is to attract new investment, investments MUST first be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:16 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
entrepreneur: one who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of a business or enterprise

Businesses exist to make money or to provide support (money or otherwise) to other entities. While I can see how printing up a bunch fo slogan shirts and giving them away might provide some amount of exposure, I fail to see how they can provide any level of sustainability. IOW that ain't much of a business, and if the person doing this had that as his only plan, has not much of that "entrepreneurial spirit."

I learned enough in the dot-bomb to know "branding" means nothing. This is a city you're talking about; if the goal is to attract new investment, investments MUST first be made.
Partially true.... A "brand" - whatever you want to call it - a definite identity, whatever, is vital to create a cohesive community. Something to identify with. The more people you have onboard, the more things are possible!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Partially true.... A "brand" - whatever you want to call it - a definite identity, whatever, is vital to create a cohesive community. Something to identify with. The more people you have onboard, the more things are possible!
You can invest and build, but if people don't have a reason to come they won't come.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
That's the thing - there's an existing creek that runs under Downtown called Town Creek [literally, it runs under the streets and some buildings], so the drainage is not an issue. You can see the creek on this map, where it goes underground from the north at Griffith Street and emerges from the south at Court Street - a distance of over 1/2 mile.
[IMG]//www.city-data.com/forum/
Interesting. Are there any plans available for this?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You can invest and build, but if people don't have a reason to come they won't come.
You've got to start SOMEWHERE, and "branding" is as good a place as any. Lays the groundwork, psychologically.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
Quote:
Interesting. Are there any plans available for this?
I haven't seen a plan released beyond what can be seen in the news video. Hopefully it will be available to the public soon. Here's an additional article with a partial rendering:
Mississippi Business Journal » Blog Archive » Can Jackson…Walk the walk? (Update)

One plus to this development is that it would be completely isolated from the Two Lakes plan and the levees plan, as it is not located on the Pearl River nor does it intend to act as flood control for the river. It is simply a development for recreational purposes that would make a positive economic impact in Jackson, so it can happen with or without any other plan that occurs in the Pearl River basin.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Victory Park in Dallas is a perfect example of "building it and they DONT come"

Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 AM

783 posts, read 2,257,370 times
Like Conan at 11:35...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,907 times
Interesting comments !!!

Looking at the population numbers, yeah I can see a city like Jackson being able to support an AMUSEMENT park since there are a good number of cities that are around the same size as Jackson if not smaller who do support such parks. Sure Dallas and San Antonio have Six Flags and the Houston area has Kemah Boardwalk but El Paso, Lubbock and Amarillo have parks too though they are on the small size but such sized parks should be able to do quite well in a city the size of Jackson.

The tourists..well try to be a hit with the locals first then try to get the tourists later. To begin as a THEME park right off the bat..well the track record isn't so hot actually it is a turn off even for the big guys like like Six Flags or Cedar Fair to notice. Look at such parks like the former Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach or Wild West World in Kansas. Alabama Adventures/Visionland I believe had serious money woes over the years and that Magic Springs Theme Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas was actually closed for a number years and even though they are open now from what I have read on those theme park sites, they too are having money woes. And its the same in much bigger markets. Six Flags New Orleans ( and Jazzland before that )...money issues even BEFORE Katrina. Denver's Elitch Gardens and Buffalo's Dairen Lake Theme Park came within DAYS of being shut down for good only to be saved by a new owner. Libertyland in Memphis ( I guess this was a theme park )..DEFUNCT !!!

Nah the best route for Jackson to take if they want to get into the amusement park business is to look at parks in such cities like Albuquerque, Erie and Bowling Green, Kentucky. Cater to local first on a small scale and if its a hit THEN spend the money on bigger rides and then go after the tourists . Thats exactly what the parks in those places did and even with nearby competition all of them all of them are doing quite well today unlike that so-called Hard Rock Park...no wait FREESTYLE Park or whatever it is called now..opened for only two years they still aren't sure if they will make it a third. Jackson or anyplace else for that matter doesn't need that kind of drama.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
Interesting comments !!!

Looking at the population numbers, yeah I can see a city like Jackson being able to support an AMUSEMENT park since there are a good number of cities that are around the same size as Jackson if not smaller who do support such parks. Sure Dallas and San Antonio have Six Flags and the Houston area has Kemah Boardwalk but El Paso, Lubbock and Amarillo have parks too though they are on the small size but such sized parks should be able to do quite well in a city the size of Jackson.

The tourists..well try to be a hit with the locals first then try to get the tourists later. To begin as a THEME park right off the bat..well the track record isn't so hot actually it is a turn off even for the big guys like like Six Flags or Cedar Fair to notice. Look at such parks like the former Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach or Wild West World in Kansas. Alabama Adventures/Visionland I believe had serious money woes over the years and that Magic Springs Theme Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas was actually closed for a number years and even though they are open now from what I have read on those theme park sites, they too are having money woes. And its the same in much bigger markets. Six Flags New Orleans ( and Jazzland before that )...money issues even BEFORE Katrina. Denver's Elitch Gardens and Buffalo's Dairen Lake Theme Park came within DAYS of being shut down for good only to be saved by a new owner. Libertyland in Memphis ( I guess this was a theme park )..DEFUNCT !!!

Nah the best route for Jackson to take if they want to get into the amusement park business is to look at parks in such cities like Albuquerque, Erie and Bowling Green, Kentucky. Cater to local first on a small scale and if its a hit THEN spend the money on bigger rides and then go after the tourists . Thats exactly what the parks in those places did and even with nearby competition all of them all of them are doing quite well today unlike that so-called Hard Rock Park...no wait FREESTYLE Park or whatever it is called now..opened for only two years they still aren't sure if they will make it a third. Jackson or anyplace else for that matter doesn't need that kind of drama.
The Hard Rock (now Freestyle) park in Myrtle Beach was a HUGE investment, but was just timed badly. Who knew when it was being planned that the economy would tank just as it opened its doors? Myrtle Beach is a mega-tourist area, not really the same as a Jackson-type city. It's been hit harder than non-tourist cities in the recession. If the economic picture had been better when Hard Rock opened, I'm sure that story would have been MUCH different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson