Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

I need some advice about becoming areator here in Jacksonville. I have lived here for 15 years. I know most areas of the Westside and near Orange Park VERY WELL, almost to map level by subdivision. Its a hobby I have had to keep track of home prices, square footage, amenities etc.by area. Even going so far as to trend data in my surroundig zip codes.

I have worked in the mortgage servicing area as a manager and now consultant for 15 years as well. Also holding a Mortgage Broker, Financial Consultant, and Certified Mortgage Servicer Licenses. I have seen first hand the fallout from the housing bubble since my clients are the banks that lent funds on the homes that are now depreciated.

I would like an honest opinion on what it takes to be a succesful realtor since, my passion lies on that end of the business. Also, realistic income expectations. My position is pretty well paying but there is not a lot of data on the income of realtors available other than the top 50. I have heard horror stories about being in sales and no "specializing" as a realtor.

I am looking to receive my license by August asa Real Estate Sales agent. I know that NEFAR must be joned as well but have no idea about dues and costs, working under broker, or other real-world costs such as marketing for clients or travel. I guss I would like to know it all going in

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Congrats on your decision to get your real estate sales license. Having a passion for this industry is a good start. I would suggest you start your career with a large brokerage, since they typically offer a lot of in-house training and regular meetings. You'll probably start with a 50/50 (or less) commission split, but the long-term payoff from the training and experience will be worth it. Make sure you have several months of living expenses saved up, so that you don't get tempted to work as a "part-time" agent. While you can be successful doing it part-time, it's very difficult and if you're not efficient, you'll damage your reputation and, worse, you'll not give proper service to your customers. You'll have plenty of chances in your pre-licensure training to ask questions and get answers. So, take advantage of that opportunity. Do you know where you're taking your course?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,593 times
Good advice Eric.

Real Estate is something I think about doing later on when I feel like I can devote my time to it. Right now being a mom is my main priority and the thought of losing weekend time or having to miss out on their events isn't something I'm willing to give up.

My dad went into real estate later on and said he absolutely loves it. He sells land and larger properties in the midwest.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
Can you tell me more bout what you mean as a "part-time" agent? Is that to say a full time committment will yield the best results? I think that is part of my fear, having to give up my current job with a salary for a maybe commission.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM

IMHO, for most folks, giving this a full-time commitment would benefit all parties. I did some part-time, when I first got my license, but it was very challenging. My day job employer suffered because my cell phone was ringing a LOT (well, it was on vibrate), which meant I was taking outside calls when I should have been working the day job. Then, there were times I took a little extra time at lunch for a quick showing or an inspection. Well, it was sometimes a 2-hour lunch, but it wasn't really scheduled time off. I was clearly putting forth more effort into my RE career than my first chosen career. But, RE quickly became my passion. Or maybe it always was, I just didn't know it until I became more involved with it. As soon as I was able, I quit my day job and went full-time, never looking back.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM

63 posts, read 215,339 times
So if someone did want to get there RE liscence.. Where is the best place to take the course?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Some large brokerage firms, like Watson Realty Corp, offer the sales associate prelicensure training in-house. You can also go to the Florida Real Estate Institute (google it). FCCJ used to offer, too, but I don't know if they still do.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Here's a near-identical thread in another section of city-data: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...l#post14760282
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville