Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 17,686 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just recently moved here to Jacksonville and so far I really don't like it. There's strip malls everywhere and it doesn't look like there's much of a hip scene here. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if there were any hip areas in Jacksonville. I haven't explored a lot. I'm looking for live music, and an art scene. Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 AM

92 posts, read 404,696 times
JAXSCENE

all sorts of stuff listed there...

my favorite "hip" areas are square one in san marco on wednesday nights, the pearl in downtown on thursdays/saturdays.

there are various venues here that hold "art nights" that showcase local artists every couple of months or so (including square one). Are 'Friends' Electric?'s ART 'Friends' Electric? 3/24/10 Photo Album - MySpace Photos

Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Try the monthly First Wednesday Art Walk downtown -- July's is next Wednesday, the 7th.
Downtown Jacksonville : First Wednesday Art Walk

This site lists quite a few places and things to do ...
JACKSONVILLE NIGHTLIFE | JaxNightLife

For your age group, it is sometimes not easy to find things to do. However, have patience and tenacity and you will find your niche. Jacksonville is definitely much more than just strip malls.

If you're working or going to school, your co-workers or fellow students can help with ideas, too.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM

I really hate it here so far.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
You'll want to check out these areas & hot spots:

The Five Points district in the Riverside neighborhood: very artsy, eclectic, and hip.

Specific places to check out there would be the Lomax Lodge, Anomaly, 5 Points Theater, Caribbean Connection, Midnight Sun, and Five Points Coffee and Spice. You'll also like Kickbacks pub and Walkers Wine bar, you can get in but they won't serve you.

Also, on Saturdays the Riverside Arts Market (RAM) is a very popular arts, music, organic foods showcase. It's 10am-4pm, underneath the I-85 bridge on Riverside Ave.

Other places you'll like are Three Layers Cafe in the Springfield neighborhood. Very artsy and hip and is widely considered THE Jacksonville "cool" coffee house. Shanty Town pub and The Pearl (both bars) as well, though they won't serve you they are fun place to hang out. Visit Uptown Market too.

Downtown Jacksonville has a number of artsy and hip events, such as the Art Walk (first Wednesday evening of each month) which is a large outdoor art and music festival, with many edgy and mainstream galleries featured. They have "off the grid" galleries as well, which are well liked.
Visit the Burrito Gallery (restaurant) as well.

In the San Marco neighborhood, visit Rosie True and Pulp.

Downtown and the historic neighborhoods that surrond it (all close together), which I listed above, are the center for the arts in Jacksonville, with a number of museums, many, many, many galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.

Some parts of the Beaches will be similar, but they'll be more spread out.

Last edited by fsu813; 07-01-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 PM

92 posts, read 404,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelagug View Post
I really hate it here so far.
i think a "thank you all for your suggestions" would've been much better.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuvalGatorGirl View Post
i think a "thank you all for your suggestions" would've been much better.
thank you! it's just really hard.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM

238 posts, read 887,897 times
"I really hate it here so far."

Lots of wonderful things to do and love about Jacksonville, but sounds like you've made up your mind to be miserable.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
michaelagug - sent you a DM

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM

250 posts, read 706,495 times
i think michaelagug is a perfect example of what people were talking about in another thread. you have to really look for specific places and events. it's not easy to find excitement here. however, michaelagug, really should investigate some of the suggestions. the artwalk that was suggested earlier would be a very good start. seeing that's it's actually next wednesday, it's not along time to wait. also you may find the downtown afternoon and nightlife entertaining on july 4th. usually alot to do and the fireworks are have been traditionally a plus in jville. there's times where we do fireworks like no other city. start with those things and mingle. then you will find other specific things to your liking.

as far as people just telling you to go to a specific location or strip where you can get into something at anytime, there is no such thing. the city planners haven't learned that you can't build a city on sports and malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville