Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM

29 posts, read 54,494 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I've been looking for relocation options for over a year now. I am currently living in the midwest and am looking to move to a warmer climate and bigger (but not too big) city. My job requires that I travel often which means I need to be nearby a decent to great airport. I've been to Phoenix (not for me), Charlotte (okay area - great airport) and just got home from Jax (love the area, so-so airport). I've built all my homes in the past and am now looking at doing that again. Really like the Durbin Crossing area and the look of Providence Homes. Any thoughts that would help me to make my decision in regards to Durbin and Providence? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 AM

2,558 posts, read 6,463,860 times
I'm working with a few Providence customers. They're a local builder and seem to put out a good product. The Durbing Crossing area is nice and quiet. But, if you need to be within a short drive to the Jax Int'l Airport, that location may not be best for you. You're probably 10-12 minutes from the closest interstate, then maybe another 35-40 minutes to the Jax airport. If that drive time is within what you need, you'll be fine.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks so much for your insight. It's always hard to move into an area and make a decision about a builder. I want quality construction that is going to last over time. Providence, from a first glance, seems to offer that.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnearthebeach View Post
I want quality construction that is going to last over time.
By the end of today, more than likely, you're gonna have at least one person post here that gonna say you won't get quality, built-to-last homes unless you go with CBS (concrete block) construction. And, grab a cold drink before reading that post, 'cuz it'll be a long one.

As far as I know, Providence mostly builds frame, as do most volume builders in the area.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM

143 posts, read 312,004 times
My daughter recently purchased an inventory home in Durbin Crossing from Providence. They are very happy with their new home & love the community and all of the amenities there. The buildout will not be anywhere near as long as Nocatee because it is a much smaller development . There have been many new homes built since spring by all the different builders there. Holder Johnson and DS Ware also build very good quality homes , and Beazer builds with block construction in DurbinCrossing. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Wow, that makes me feel really good. I'm glad to hear that your daughter has had a positive experience. With a little luck and a lot of faith, I sure do hope that this works out. Jacksonville is a beautiful corner of the world. I looked at Nocatee, but wasn't happy with what wasn't around it. With this economy I fear that it will be a long time coming before anything other than a Publix is close to the neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Should I be worried about a home in Florida that is not built with block construction? Also, does anyone know anything about Prime Lending? Providence asks that you work with them for your financing.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM

377 posts, read 1,723,010 times
If you're new to Jacksonville and never lived here before, I'd really recommend renting for 6 months to a year until you get familiar with the area. Jacksonville is huge and you might miss your "ideal" subdivision and location. If you find a subdivision that you think you'll like, there will probably be a couple of houses for rent, maybe even with the same builder that you're thinking of building with. If you decide you like the subdivision, location and builder, you'll now have a better feel for the real estate market and prices, so that you'll know if you're getting a good deal. If you decide you don't like the location, you can move once your lease is up..... which is a whole lot easier than buying a house, deciding you don't like the location and then having to sell the house.

And to your other question, no, you don't need to go with block construction. Wood construction has to meet the same building codes when it comes to wind, plus make sure you get the "better quality termite treatment" when it comes to termites. Several builders already use the better treatment, but others charge an upgrade fee.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnearthebeach View Post
Also, does anyone know anything about Prime Lending? Providence asks that you work with them for your financing.
One of my Providence customers worked with them. They had no issues. In fact, I had used their same loan officer when I purchased one of my rental properties a few years ago. In many ways, builders make it hard to not work with their "preferred" lenders. Most of the time, they'll pay portions of your closing costs, which will save you some money. Working with their lender benefits the builder because they can better keep track of the loan process and not be too concerned about whether you're qualified. I don't believe they're trying to pull one over on you, but that can't make you use their lender. It's just their preference.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 35,194 times
My wife and I bought a home in Durbin Crossing North in April, and just moved in about 2 weeks ago. We absolutely love it. It's a wonderful neighborhood. We bought a Holder Johnson inventory home, and am very happy with their quality. Todd Holder was really great to work with, and if we had the chance to build our own in the future, we will likely look to them for the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville