Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 32,219 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Florida if my husband can get a transfer for his job. He would most likely be working in Mayport or jacksonville but we would like to live in a stricktly residential area having two young children. From what I can tell Jacksonville is very large and a city. Can someone tell me what towns would be in close proximity to jacksonville or mayport but not in the city. We want a very safe family town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Jacksonville covers a whole lot o area, including Mayport. So there won't be any "towns", but neighborhoods rather (unless you really want to live far out there). Nassau County is just North of Jacsonville, and not too far away from Mayport I guess. There's a few little po'dunk towns up there like Yulee, Callahan, and Hilliard. All are very country and rural. The Fernadina Beach area would also be relatively close, I suppose, and would be a bit more civilized while keeping a "small town" feel.

You can find all those areas here: yulee - Google Maps

However, there are many perfectly safe nighborhoods ihn Jax. Most are, in fact. (otherwise noone would live here!)

Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 AM

14 posts, read 83,234 times
If your husband is working in Mayport, I'd stick to the northern part of Intracoastal West (east of 9A, off Atlantic Blvd and northward)--it's suburbia and closeby. Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach are beach towns, but the neighborhoods west of 3rd St are residential enough. You can also look at some of the new neighborhoods along Hecksher Drive. It's a only ferry ride away from Mayport, but it's not as developed as the other places. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM

118 posts, read 408,520 times
There are great areas in the North Jax/Blount Island area like Amelia View, The Cape and many others that are in good school zones. You also have Atlantic Beach, Jax Beach and Ponte Vedra areas if you would rather be closer to the beach.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM

250 posts, read 706,248 times
it kind of sounds like you are coming from a place up north where there is the main city and then alot of suburbs. that's not the case with jville. so your post i do not think really applies unless you are trying to live in a really rural area. pretty much every residential neighborhood IN the city is residential with maybe a strip mall with a grocery store near by. jville is like a collection of consolidated suburbs. so i would actually just start looking around for a little at some of the neighborhoods before prejudging that you do not want to live in jville.

ps places like hilliard wouldn't be just residential but would be actually rural and far from anywhere you may want to be. you may not need to be THAT for just to keep your children safe. i think most jville kids do pretty well on a daily basis without encountering danger. as a matter of fact, most of them may even be bored. gas and mileage are high enough just to be withIN the city limits let alone 20-30 mins from it.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 34,353 times
If your kids are school-age I don't recommend you live in Duval County, unless you're planning on private school. At the very least, do not keep your kids in the Duval County school system after these finish elementary school. If you're looking to live close to Mayport, I suggest you stay on that side of the Intracoastal, either Atlantic Beach or Neptune Beach. You'll be much happier with the smaller schools over there. Coming into Jacksonville inland, the school sizes get much larger & overcrowded. As for the neighboorhoods, the beach area is very close & has that small "town" feel you're looking for. Other than Duval, I would suggest St. John's or Nassau county. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 21,384 times
Hi I'm looking to move to rural area that may have a small clinic or hospital in the area outside of Jacksonville, Florida. I do not have kids. I'm looking to be able to have a small garden in my back yard. Not looking for city life at all. Any areas anyone can suggest?

Old 01-18-2016, 01:40 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Flagler Beach

Old 01-18-2016, 03:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia777 View Post
Hi I'm looking to move to rural area that may have a small clinic or hospital in the area outside of Jacksonville, Florida. I do not have kids. I'm looking to be able to have a small garden in my back yard. Not looking for city life at all. Any areas anyone can suggest?
You have just described Macclenny, FL. about 30 miles west of Jacksonville on I-10/US90. There's a small hospital and it is more of a town than a city and backyard gardens are just about everywhere.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
You have just described Macclenny, FL. about 30 miles west of Jacksonville on I-10/US90. There's a small hospital and it is more of a town than a city and backyard gardens are just about everywhere.
Ohhh, good call, forgot about Macclenny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville