Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 17,194 times

Advertisements

What is the safest, least expensive area that is approximately a half-hour drive from NAS JAX hospital for a young professional women?

Need immediate suggestions on condo and apartment.

Not interested in renting or buying a house.

Thanks.

Moving in two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM

754 posts, read 2,814,668 times
Lighthouse Apartments in Fleming Island. Cobblestone at Eagle Harbor in Fleming Island. Carrington Place in Fleming Island.

All three are in safe areas, a straight shot down Hwy 17 from NAS Jax.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
Young professionals gravitate towards the unique, historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown, whcin are 20-30 minutes away from NAS JAX.

For women, Riverside & Avondale and San Marco especially. Many, many young professionals in these areas. Vibrant & eclectic, with lots of nice parks, great food, and nightlife.

Here are some realty companies that specalize in these areas:

Traditions: www.traditionsjax.com
Atkinson: www.atkinsonrealtygroup.com

Here are some links about these areas:

www.riverside-avondale.com
www.riversideartsmarket.com
www.smpsjax.com
www.sanmarcoshops.com

You can also search this forum or www.metrojacksonville.com for LOTS of info on these areas, including many photos.

The areas that joinclay suggested will be way out in the suburbs, not many young professionals there, and a good 45 minute drive into the city.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,668 times
The areas that joinclay suggested will be way out in the suburbs, not many young professionals there, and a good 45 minute drive into the city.

Gasp! Oh, no! Not the suburbs! Why, I bet June Cleaver will be leaping the white picket fence, banging down the door, and bringing over a casserole every night! Not surprising coming from you, the "Suburbia is dying, long live urban living and its crappy schools, lousy traffic, and high crime" thread-starter.

She wanted a place that was close to NAS Jax that was also safe. Fleming Island is just as close, if not closer, to NAS Jax than the areas you mentioned.

As for the "not many young professionals there", that will no doubt come as a surprise to all of the young professionals that I know who do live there. Few things are funnier than someone who has never lived in Fleming Island trying to pose as an authority on Fleming Island. Pure comedy gold.

To the original poster: There are urban areas about a half-hour from NAS Jax, and there are suburban areas about a half-hour from NAS Jax. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends on what's most important to you. Either way, welcome and good luck!

Last edited by joninclay; 07-09-2010 at 05:53 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 AM

If I don't know what i'm talking about....then I don't post.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
If I don't know what i'm talking about....then I don't post.
Really?

fromanotherplanet ... that little statistics box in the upper right corner of a member's post speaks volumes. Whether to take a poster's reply to your question with a grain of salt or not, it just takes simple math to compare: one of them has a fewer number of posts, BUT a far better reputation (41% of readers left positive feedback whereas for the other poster only 19% found his posts worthy). And it's easy to see that the one with the fewer posts has more readers in the first place which says many just ignore the other's. So, just from these little statistics you can tell which one writes with better authority and with more knowledge.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM

umm.....subtract all my "points" to zero. better yet, I'd like to transfer all my "points" to you. That way you'll know even more, right? (ha)

If you're seriously suggesting that Riverside & Avondale and San Marco aren't overflowing with young professionals, while Fleming Island is extremely suburban and has relatively few young professionals........then, well, what can I say.

-1000 points?

BTW, I post on all kinds of things, not just meant to be helpful, but to initiate discussion or provide insight. Or haven't you noticed? The point thing is asinine.

Last edited by fsu813; 07-09-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
There are some apartment buildings - condos (perhaps some for rent) in the Ortega area - which isn't very far away from the NAS (it's a little to the north). Take a look at what's available on the riverfront. I'm not a big fan of Orange Park - which is immediately to the south of the NAS. The traffic there is pretty bad - and you'd have to go through to it get to places like Fleming Island. Another area to look at would be Mandarin. You have to cross the River to get there - on the Buckman Bridge - but I think you'd be reverse commuting if you worked during normal working hours (I wouldn't want to do the Buckman during normal rush hour in the normal rush hour directions - but reverse commuting might be ok - try doing it and see how it is). Again - there are some waterfront apartments and (perhaps for rent) condos in Mandarin. I'd poke around in that area as well. Robyn

Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
FWIW - if you like to be near fitness facilities - I would favor the Mandarin area. There's a Y there - and a JCC as well. Both are very nice facilities. If proximity to other things is important - let us know what they are. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 07-09-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,210 times
my husband works on NAS and we have several friends who are single and live out in the condos/apartments by us in Oakleaf. It's sort of between Orange Park and Middleburg. One nice thing is that he can get to the base without ever doing anything more than crossing Blanding and spending a little bit on 17. He always finds shortcuts and says it's a pretty fast route. You can get downtown easily from here as well.....

It's building up quite a bit more out here. We're getting a few new restaurants and stores and soon a library as well. They have amenities and such out here like in Fleming Island....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: