Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 35,132 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking to relocate from Minnesota to Jacksonville or Tampa. I have been to Jacksonville a few times and liked the area. I was just in Tampa/Clearwater area and like it too. But my girl friend wants to go to a good school. UNF or USF and USF is her choice so far. My question is what is the best out of them 2. my concern is safety and nice area. My budget for an apartment is between 700-900. I would appreciate any comments Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Location: Teams in 2 locations: Jacksonville, FL & Aldie/Chantilly VA.
63 posts, read 224,377 times
Hi,
I have lived here in JAX for two years, I moved here from Clearwater area. USF is a good college, it's BIG. UNF is also really good school. It is only about 12,000-15,000 students, and very clean and safe. Beautiful campus. My son just graduated HS and is at Florida community college JAx and may go to UNF. He was impressed with the campus. (but he likes the smaller schools too).
If you have a roommate, you will definitly find a nice apt....or you could even find a nice home. Since the housing market has slowed down, many sellers are renting their homes, so you could find a good home to lease near UNF.
Let me know if I can help.
MKGOlfer

Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublecheck View Post
Hello,
I'm looking to relocate from Minnesota to Jacksonville or Tampa. I have been to Jacksonville a few times and liked the area. I was just in Tampa/Clearwater area and like it too. But my girl friend wants to go to a good school. UNF or USF and USF is her choice so far. My question is what is the best out of them 2. my concern is safety and nice area. My budget for an apartment is between 700-900. I would appreciate any comments Thanks
In your price range, you can find a nice apartment to rent in the immediate area of UNF in Jax. Try searching for rentals in 32246, 32224 and 32225 to give you an idea of what's available. The area is nice, safe, vibrant, close to the beach and close to everything else you'd need .

Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Quote:
Hello,
What will she be studying, does she know this yet? I think this is critical when comparing colleges. That said, even if you answer my question, I still dont think I'd be able to help you cause I don't know much about most of the programs at both schools. Still, keep that in mind. Overall, USF and UNF are both decent state universities in a suburban setting.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM

97 posts, read 404,445 times
Quote:
Hello,
Hello Doublecheck. I'm not sure how old you are, but as you're researching schools, please keep in mind that quite a few Florida schools are NOT ACCEPTING out of state transfer students. This is from UNF:

Due to reduced funding from the state of Florida, UNF has changed its policy for the admission of transfer students. Beginning spring 2009, we are accepting applications only from students who are transferring from a Florida public community college with either an earned A.A. degree or with an A.S. degree earned through an existing articulation agreement between the schools. We are also considering students who earned an A.A. degree while on active duty military service. We are not able to accept applications from students who earned their A.A. degrees at four-year institutions, nor are we accepting applications from students who transferred to another school after earning the A.A. degree

It appears that USF is accepting lower-level (59 & below credits) & upper-level transfers (60+). If you or your girlfriend are entering as Freshmen, ensure you've read the application deadlines, as most Florida schools accept applications up to one year prior (end of Junior year of HS), so they can and will be selective. As far as apartments, research the zip codes Riveree provided only (in my opinion). I moved my son and his girlfriend to 32224 in July, and their rent (including water/sewer/trash/bug spray (ummm...or lack there of) is $700 in a relatively safe area.
Best of luck!
MaryAnn

Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 PM

725 posts, read 2,572,328 times
Go Bulls! But I love UNF too. Go Ospreys!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,681 times
Quote:
Hello,
Hi Doublecheck,

I was wondering how this turned out for you. I am also looking to relocate to Jacksonville and I have been researching colleges and apartments in the same price range as you were. Did you have any luck?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Dont come to jacksonville< unless you wanna be bored to death

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,505,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chello View Post
Dont come to jacksonville< unless you wanna be bored to death
You registered just to say that? Wow, you MUST be bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville