Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 127,780 times

Advertisements

We're at the amenity center all the time. Either at the pool or playing soccer or just walking around the park. It's really very beautiful. Plus we have noticed better security. There used to be an older gentleman just sitting by the basketball courts, doing nothing really. Lately I've seen security officers on bikes, asking to see photo IDs mainly. Because, I think the main problem was people who didn't live here were coming to use our courts and our fields to play. We've been here a little over a year. And we're very happy! We are very excited about the new Town Center and the new elementary school. We're really quite far from Blanding, and traffic on Argyle is not bad at all. Also I have not seen any vandalism in Oakleaf since I've been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM

60 posts, read 314,030 times
titaniummd -
Your comment about rentals and a lack of "sense of community" is accurate. It's usually easy to spot those properties too...they are the ones with the poorly maintained lawns. Ugh. However, even this seems to be improving. Either there are fewer rentals or the HOA has cracked down a bit on landlords...not sure which.

mawipafl -
Your last post nailed my point exactly in regards to "ownership". As for first reactions when Florida house-hunting, we also had a bit of a shock. And it was that shock that probably drove us to Clay to begin with. While Jax housing prices are reasonable compared to most of the country, they are still much higher than the area of Pittsburgh from where we moved. It was that sticker shock that kept our search to the west side of the St. John's River. If we were to buy on the other side, and stay in our price range, we would have been looking at town homes...that didn't appeal to me.

BTW, where are you from in NE PA? I had a college roommate who was from Tunkhannock. I've never been to that "opposite corner" of the state.

BetuliaJ - Yeah...that older security guard was worthless. The new security company is very active. I typically work out in the evenings after we put our kids to bed. The last two times I have been up there at night, the guard has checked my ID. Good! We live in Pebblecreek...just down from the soccer fields and amenity center. So, our location is perfect for using the various facilities and proximity to the new school. Like I said before, the kids can't wait to walk/bike to school.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,078 times
I had been living between Eagle Harbor/Fleming Island and what is now OakLeaf Plantation since I first moved to Florida. Often I wished I had bought in EH/FI, but had I, I would have been wanting to move over to OakLeaf now. All things considered I think OakLeaf will have a lot more to offer in the end. Better schools and more of them, more shopping/dinning, etc. It seems that's where the focus is...for example...the funds for the latest county school were diverted to OakLeaf for the new high school. Originally it was intended that EH/FI would get a new, much needed school, but instead it went to OakLeaf and that's even after the other three other schools that are already open, opening 2008, and opening 2009. Then, a hospital site was proposed for EH/FI...in fact...the land was set aside inside FIP. That too is now not happening. There are yet a few hurdles to get over with the government but the hospital that should get the go ahead has clear intentions of locating the new Clay County hospital by OLP...Branan Field Road. If I were someone deciding between the two areas I'd really think about what I believe is the main difference which really is just a personal preference...direct access to Doctor's Inlet and the St Johns River (EH/FI) or being up against the forest (EL/OLP). Of course the entire FDOT project figures in as well, but frankly, I can't accurately foretell just how that is going to play into this long term, for the better or worse. I do know that road expansion plans will make traversing between the two areas much easier, and faster. And what you can't get at one or the other...just go on over to the other side. Orange Park (Blanding/Wells) in the middle is just going to get further depressed and crime ridden. It's happening now. That, and, seems hardly any restaurants can stay open over there anymore. IMO development in/around OLP is just going to kill that completely...no one with any sense or money is going to want to go into Orange Park proper if they can help it. In any case, my choice in Clay County would be EL/OLP. That is, IF you want to be in Clay. After many years of comparing one area to another (all around Jax), and with ALL considerations, I ended up in St Johns County and this is probably where I'll stay. I prefer the demographics here, the schools, the traffic or lack of, the shopping...what is coming (lots and lots of everything). Better planning all the way around. I think St Johns County has an upper hand mostly because it was largely undeveloped compared to Clay....and it straddles I-95. Clay originally had poor, uncontrolled planning (70's-80's) and things really got away from them. Blanding and such, which can never be changed...is what it is. With all the tremendous growth and development in SJ, they have a chance to do it right and seem to be getting it right, from the beginning. There's also a much higher tax base, which is all important.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
coreanem,

That's a really interesting post. Thank you for so much info. I had no idea about the change in plans re schools, hospital.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 PM

http://www.doah.state.fl.us/ros/2006/06-0555.pdf (broken link)

(see page 26)

As of this time Baptist has dropped out...and a judge ruled for St. Vincent's...although that doesn't mean it's absolute since the state has the ultimate authority. The land for the Baptist site was inside Fleming Island Plantation...first entrance off 17 into FIP...on the left...just before what is now the VyStar Customer Service building. A few years ago the developers of that area had it marked on their website briefly but that's been long gone. Of course there's still a chance OPMC/HCA will get the location in Green Cove, but being that they already have a smaller hospital and the highest growth corridor is now by far the Branan Field area...plus there is a lot of mention of OPMC not having a monopoly in Clay County...seems to me St Vincent's will get it...I think this is to be decided this spring...and since we're in the thick of it...maybe any day now.

As for the school info...I read that several times and cannot currently locate it...but I also know from my friends who live in EH/FIP that they were mighty displeased on the county's decision to put so many schools (so soon) into OLP when they are in need of another school and were originally slated to get it BEFORE OLP's next school...the high school.

Just FYI...I lived in Clay for almost ten years...and I really kept up to date on all the development info...so as I could make an informed decision on should I stay, and if so, move where between the two mentioned areas. Even though I no longer live in Clay...I'll be anxious to see it after another decade passes. It will look a lot different.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,457 times
IMO It makes sense for that area of OLP to have some sort of hospital present. The nearest hospital is on Kinsley or downtown Baptist isn't it? Which is at least 15~20 miles apart. And the population is growing there, sort of.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 AM

77 posts, read 321,547 times
I agree 100% with you. I was roaming around that area this weekend and visited some new(er) subdivisions off the beaten path:

Two Creeks - Off Trail Ridge Rd (new)

Dawsons Creek - Outside of Argyle/Oakleaf (new to me!)

Both of these were hidden well from Branan Field Rd, which I kind of like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
IMO It makes sense for that area of OLP to have some sort of hospital present. The nearest hospital is on Kinsley or downtown Baptist isn't it? Which is at least 15~20 miles apart. And the population is growing there, sort of.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Also...

Pine Ridge (next to Two Creeks)
Kendall something or rather ? (off Branan Field)

and not to forget a little further south...Lake Asbury area with yet another large East/West Partners (they of Eagle Harbor and Eagle Landing) development...

Rolling Hills

and it only goes on from there...

ALL these will have easy access on/off the future FDOT roadway project...so the hospital being located on Branan Field makes sense as it would be easily accessible to most all the folks in Clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1025 View Post
I agree 100% with you. I was roaming around that area this weekend and visited some new(er) subdivisions off the beaten path:

Two Creeks - Off Trail Ridge Rd (new)

Dawsons Creek - Outside of Argyle/Oakleaf (new to me!)

Both of these were hidden well from Branan Field Rd, which I kind of like!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,457 times
came across this Oakleaf Town Center website.
listing of upcoming openings, etc.
OAKLEAF TOWN CENTER

Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM

60 posts, read 314,030 times
How did you come across that? I "Google" Oakleaf Town Center all of the time just looking for news on it. Truthfully, it's kind of a lame website. But, the listing of merchants with opening dates has some good info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville