Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmutley View Post
We (me, wife & two sons - 8 & 6 yrs old) moved to Oakleaf from Pittsburgh a little more than a year ago (July 2006) and love it. There are some issues. But, what community doesn't have a few warts?

It seems to me that a lot of the negative Oakleaf comments on this thread are coming from those who don't live here. I think that is because Oakleaf has become the 500 lb gorilla in the room...as far Clay County developments are concerned. I don't have an opinion on Fleming Island, Eagle Harbor, etc other than they seem like places that are at least as equally nice. But, people in those communities always seem to have an opinion on Oakleaf.

Here are some of my thoughts from living here the past year.....

Traffic on Argyle Forest was as bad as everyone says. However, now that the widening project is complete, Argyle is a breeze. The only time that there can be a problem is at Argyle & Blanding during AM rush. With the Argyle widening complete, I actually think that living in Oakleaf is a bit of an advantage. We hit Blanding right at I295. That means no long trek up Blanding or 17...both much worse than Argyle.

As more of Oakleaf Town Center opens, there will be fewer reasons to go out to Blanding. I agree with the comments that the Blanding area of Orange Park doesn't have much visual appeal. But, what does that have to do with Oakleaf...especially when we won't have to drive out there anymore for our shopping/dining needs. Now, if we can just get them to build a movie theatre.

Our kids go to Argyle elementary. It is much better than the school in Pgh that they went to. Next year, they will go to the new Oakleaf Village Elementary. It is just a couple blocks from my house!!! They are so looking forward to walking/biking to school! If the new school is anything approaching our experience with Argyle Elem (or, what I hear about the current new Oakleaf school) we will be happy. Unless you have or will have high school age kids in the few years, no concerns there either. The new HS is going to break ground next August to open in 2010.

What I am getting at is, in my experience from living here, the combination of amenities (which I'll get to in a minute), close location of quality schools (both currently existing and about to open soon), and very close shopping/dining options (again, some exisitng -some opening soon) makes Oakleaf a nice place to live and raise a family. The only negative...traffic...has improved on Argyle with the recent widening. Of course, if you have to traverse the Buckman during rush hour (like I do) it can be a hassle. If that thought completely turns you off, you shouldn't be looking in Clay County anyway.

Now...as for the amenities...they are a great selling point. I didn't want to make this big move to Florida unless my kids had easy access to a pool. The Oakleaf pools are fantastic. The other amenites are great too...parks everwhere...paths for biking...fitness centers...etc. Heck, since moving here I have been using the fitness center 3 days a week and lost at least 25 lbs. But, there is a negative side to them as well.

When you pay these kind of CDD fees (about $1,600 if you live in a single family home, something less if you live in a condo/townhome) you tend to have certain expectations. Then, when those expectations aren't met it can tick you off. For example, late last summer there was a rash of vandalism (spray painting on some of the paths and bridges), vending machines in public areas are often broken (again, vandalism), problems with kids on the basketball courts, inappropriate behavior at times in the swimming pools, fitness equipment in constant need of repair (although they just replaced two treadmills), insufficient security (although I hear steps have been taken to fix this), etc.

I'm sure that these are common problems in all communites. But, when you are paying that CDD, those issues seem to be magnified a good bit.
ewieoweiowewewowowoiowiowiwoewoewoeiwoewoewoewoewo ewoewoewowoewoowewoewoewoewoeiwowoiwoeiwoeiw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,325 times
Default you are 100% right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmutley View Post
We (me, wife & two sons - 8 & 6 yrs old) moved to Oakleaf from Pittsburgh a little more than a year ago (July 2006) and love it. There are some issues. But, what community doesn't have a few warts?

It seems to me that a lot of the negative Oakleaf comments on this thread are coming from those who don't live here. I think that is because Oakleaf has become the 500 lb gorilla in the room...as far Clay County developments are concerned. I don't have an opinion on Fleming Island, Eagle Harbor, etc other than they seem like places that are at least as equally nice. But, people in those communities always seem to have an opinion on Oakleaf.

Here are some of my thoughts from living here the past year.....

Traffic on Argyle Forest was as bad as everyone says. However, now that the widening project is complete, Argyle is a breeze. The only time that there can be a problem is at Argyle & Blanding during AM rush. With the Argyle widening complete, I actually think that living in Oakleaf is a bit of an advantage. We hit Blanding right at I295. That means no long trek up Blanding or 17...both much worse than Argyle.

As more of Oakleaf Town Center opens, there will be fewer reasons to go out to Blanding. I agree with the comments that the Blanding area of Orange Park doesn't have much visual appeal. But, what does that have to do with Oakleaf...especially when we won't have to drive out there anymore for our shopping/dining needs. Now, if we can just get them to build a movie theatre.

Our kids go to Argyle elementary. It is much better than the school in Pgh that they went to. Next year, they will go to the new Oakleaf Village Elementary. It is just a couple blocks from my house!!! They are so looking forward to walking/biking to school! If the new school is anything approaching our experience with Argyle Elem (or, what I hear about the current new Oakleaf school) we will be happy. Unless you have or will have high school age kids in the few years, no concerns there either. The new HS is going to break ground next August to open in 2010.

What I am getting at is, in my experience from living here, the combination of amenities (which I'll get to in a minute), close location of quality schools (both currently existing and about to open soon), and very close shopping/dining options (again, some exisitng -some opening soon) makes Oakleaf a nice place to live and raise a family. The only negative...traffic...has improved on Argyle with the recent widening. Of course, if you have to traverse the Buckman during rush hour (like I do) it can be a hassle. If that thought completely turns you off, you shouldn't be looking in Clay County anyway.

Now...as for the amenities...they are a great selling point. I didn't want to make this big move to Florida unless my kids had easy access to a pool. The Oakleaf pools are fantastic. The other amenites are great too...parks everwhere...paths for biking...fitness centers...etc. Heck, since moving here I have been using the fitness center 3 days a week and lost at least 25 lbs. But, there is a negative side to them as well.

When you pay these kind of CDD fees (about $1,600 if you live in a single family home, something less if you live in a condo/townhome) you tend to have certain expectations. Then, when those expectations aren't met it can tick you off. For example, late last summer there was a rash of vandalism (spray painting on some of the paths and bridges), vending machines in public areas are often broken (again, vandalism), problems with kids on the basketball courts, inappropriate behavior at times in the swimming pools, fitness equipment in constant need of repair (although they just replaced two treadmills), insufficient security (although I hear steps have been taken to fix this), etc.

I'm sure that these are common problems in all communites. But, when you are paying that CDD, those issues seem to be magnified a good bit.
I tip my hat to you.. every thing you said is nothing but the truth..I commend you.....

Old 02-02-2010, 06:00 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Oakleaf is the antithesis of everything I like basically (ha)....but....for those interested, here's a good pictorial: Suburban Jacksonville: Oakleaf | Metro Jacksonville

Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,328 times
I am 24 years old looking to buy in Oakleaf... As a young person I do not want to put all my money into CDD fees... The houses I am looking at were built in 2005, meaning someone has been paying CDD fees for seven years. Will I have to start over with the fees or can I pick up where the owner left off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville