Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am originally from Jacksonville and I lived in Orange Park for a while as well. As of right now my husband and I are living in Palm Coast, but we really, really want to move back to Jacksonville in the next year or so. We own two American Pit Bull Terriers.. We have had them each sinse they were about 8 weeks old so, we know that they have never been abused or neglected or anything like that. They have both been properly raised, trained and socialized, they are very obedient, tolerant, gentle and sweet, and they love everyone and everything! They aren't huge monster "pit bulls".. Our male, Brooklyn is about 60 pounds and our female, Destiny is about 35-40 pounds and thats about as big as they are getting. Desi might get a little bigger, but she will not be as big as Brooklyn. Anyway, we aren't sure if we are going to rent or not and we aren't sure what area we really want to end up in. We are thinking about Orange Park, the south side or out by the beach. I know that every neighborhood/subdivision will be different and I know that whether we rent or not we will most likely have some issues because of the breed we own. I was just curious to see if anyone knew of any neighborhoods/ subdivisions in Orange Park, the south side or out by the beaches that have restrictions on certain breeds?? With us not knowing exactly where we would like to be we will be looking at quite a few different places.. If there is anywhere that you know of that has breed restrictions that would help out alot. I have checked around on the internet, but I haven't been able to find anything very helpful. When I lived in Jax and OP I had dogs, but never a breed that people would consider a "dangerous" breed so, I am really not sure about restrictions anywhere. Like I said, we aren't sure if we are going to rent or not and we aren't really sure what price range we are going to be looking in yet. We have just got our company up and running so, when its closer to time to move we will have a better idea of price range, but as of right now we have to see how things go. So, if you know of anywhere in those three areas that have any breed restrictions that would be very helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM

265 posts, read 994,132 times
We had trouble,
When we were looking to move here my rotty who much like your dogs had never hurt anything but himself when getting up to fast from his daily nap was an issue. We contacted property mngmt companies, landlords, etc. We didn't even get as far as city ord or laws, it had to do with the property owners liability. No one would budge they kept telling us maybe we could find a home for rent by a person not a company but we ran into the same dead end. Sadly for us our "Bear" passed away shortly before we could make any decision. So this issue was not important for us anymore. I am sorry I got ahead of myself, we are renting. I don't know of to many ord. or laws pertaining to community restrictions if you buy your home. But I am positive they exist, sadly no matter how big a babies they are they are treated as dangerous by law. Good luck and let us know how your search goes

Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Lawstudent said it perfectly - it's not the neighborhood restrictions, it's the insurance restrictions (and the landlords have to comply with their insurance providers).

Renting AND owning are becoming a big headache for dog owners because of the insurance companies.

Breed discrimination, pure and simple .

I've not heard of one Jax neighborhood with a bully breed ban, but try to find one insurance company that DOESN'T have one .

I would suggest looking to the big newer apartment complexes - I do see advertisements from time to time stating "no pet restrictions".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville