Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times

Advertisements

Riveree - Don't know if you had a chance to read all the messages in the thread. OP is married with 2 kids - looking for a 3 bedroom rental under $800/month. Is that doable in the areas you mentioned (I personally don't know)? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Riveree - Don't know if you had a chance to read all the messages in the thread. OP is married with 2 kids - looking for a 3 bedroom rental under $800/month. Is that doable in the areas you mentioned (I personally don't know)? Robyn
Missed that part .

Rent in Jacksonville is pretty high. I think the average for the city is around $750/mo. So renting an entire house for $800 anywhere in Jax might be a tough find.

There are some parts of 32207 where there are tiny bungalows - some are 800 or 900 square feet, 2 or 3 bedrooms max, usually 1 small bathroom - but they are in nice safe neighborhoods. A few years back, you couldn't rent one of these for less than $1000/mo. These days, maybe they can be had for less, I can't say for sure (sorry OP!).

If the OP is priced out of 32207, they should look at 32217. Being flexible and widening the search might be what's needed if they want to be in this part of town.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM

30 posts, read 47,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I'm not on the forum much these days, but I noticed you hadn't yet gotten much feedback on St. Nicholas...

First I'll address the 32207 zip:

From a population standpoint, 32207 is one of the most dense zip codes in Jax. Even part of Downtown Jacksonville - the "Southbank" - is included in zip 32207. There are many other neighborhoods covered by the zip as well. From the well known (San Marco) to the not-so-well-known (Oriental Gardens). The vast majority of 32207 is "very nice" at a minimum. A good deal of 32207 is downright stunning. Riverfront mansions, beautiful examples of Mediterranean Revival homes, block after block of storybook brick bungalows...

There's plenty of plain vanilla working class neighborhoods too. There's a percentage of 32207 that has a crime element as well. So it's not perfect, but it all seems to gel together very nicely with no muss, no fuss and not a whole lot of talking about it. It's a very stable area. I live in 32207 and I think it has the best of what Jacksonville has to offer.

Now on to Saint Nicholas:

Like yourself, I like some of the the architecture. There are some picturesque streets. Knowing what I know of Saint Nic, the ONLY part of Saint Nicholas I would ever consider is the Empire Point section. In fact I have considered it and did not pursue it. In short, the crime element of Saint Nicholas crosses my own personal tolerance level. For the same money, I can live elsewhere in 32207 and be more comfortable. That's me, it might be different for you.

So my advice to you would be...

Absolutely continue to look for a home in 32207. Target in on the WESTERN part of 32207...hugging the Saint Johns River and keeping close to San Jose Blvd/Hendricks Avenue. This will put you in the "best of the best" neighborhoods of 32207 .

Secondly, if you need more square footage/lower cost, move down to zip 32217. Again, hug the river, etc. 32217 is San Jose and it has many of the same desirable features as 32207.

Best of luck!
Riveree! I have read your replies to other threads when I first started doing my research here. It was nice to see a response from a "familiar" name. Thank you so much for your information! It is great and very helpful. You answered a lot of my questions. And your advice on what parts to target my search were exactly what I was looking for! I'm adding this info down with the rest and soon enough, I hope, we will narrow it down to where we want to be. Thanks sooo much!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I know that the area that Riveree suggested is a little out of my price range, but I still appreciated the suggestion. It helps when we start narrowing down and such. Thanks!

Ok, major questions here...

We have been looking at a couple of places in 32207. The listings say its St Nicholas but when I look at them on google maps they show up in an area called Spring Park. These places are in the area between Beach Blvd and Spring Park Rd.

Can anyone tell me anything about this area? Maybe fsu? You've been incredibly helpful with info on areas thus far!

I also found some places in an area of 32246 called Sandalwood according to google maps. The area looks really cute. Any input/info on this area?

And what about Grove Park/San Souci? I think I read somewhere that Grove Park had a lot of crime, but I can't remember where I read it or if I'm just making it up. Anything you can give me on this?

You guys are simply awesome! Thanks so much for coming here and answering SO many of my questions!! Hopefully sometime soon I can join you in answering others' questions about Jax, too!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:02 PM

278 posts, read 661,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenLucy114 View Post
Yeah, I know that the area that Riveree suggested is a little out of my price range, but I still appreciated the suggestion. It helps when we start narrowing down and such. Thanks!

Ok, major questions here...

We have been looking at a couple of places in 32207. The listings say its St Nicholas but when I look at them on google maps they show up in an area called Spring Park. These places are in the area between Beach Blvd and Spring Park Rd.

Can anyone tell me anything about this area? Maybe fsu? You've been incredibly helpful with info on areas thus far!

I also found some places in an area of 32246 called Sandalwood according to google maps. The area looks really cute. Any input/info on this area?

And what about Grove Park/San Souci? I think I read somewhere that Grove Park had a lot of crime, but I can't remember where I read it or if I'm just making it up. Anything you can give me on this?

You guys are simply awesome! Thanks so much for coming here and answering SO many of my questions!! Hopefully sometime soon I can join you in answering others' questions about Jax, too!
Can I chime in? I'm a lifelong resident, interrupted with periods spent living in Maine, Tennessee, Virginia, and a few other places.

I grew up in Jax and lived in the 32207 area. Spring Park was one of the "rough areas" and still is, from what I can tell. Looked at a few home there about a year ago and decided "no thanks."

The area between Atlantic Blvd and the river has some nice homes though the rent may be high, if you're renting. I recall finding a few 3 bedroom homes in the $750-900 range a couple years back. St. Nicholas is a fantastic, quiet area with bungalow-style homes. They aren't huge, but my family of 5 was quite comfortable in our 3 bedroom home, growing up. The smaller size helped with reduced heating and cooling costs. The hardwood floors featured in many of the homes are fantastic.

Might be a "personal preference" kinda thing as far as the homes go.

Sandalwood also has its ups and downs. Had a friend who lived there and in fact attended Sandalwood high. Kind of "lower middle class" but lots of families. I have a friend who lives in a townhouse over there who I visit all the time. Always lots of kids playing kickball, basketball, etc. Never felt unsafe walking around, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Grove Park is kinda "iffy" I think. My wife and I looked there, too, when house-hunting and decided against it.

Really though it's a crapshoot. The place may look fantastic but some idiot across the street ruins it for you. Conversely you might move into an area that looks fairly rough that turns out to be just right.

I would mention that rents are definitely negotiable right now, especially if you sub-lease somebody's condo that they are bleeding money on. I have a couple friends who are renting condos from distressed owners that renegotiate every time the renewal comes around.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Bativac, this is such great info and insight into the areas I asked about!! Thank you so much. It really helps! I'm glad you chimed in!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM

Hey everyone! He got the job!!!! He starts in 3 weeks!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Best of luck with your relocation! Robyn

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenLucy114 View Post
Hey everyone! He got the job!!!! He starts in 3 weeks!
Congrats!

I agree with Bativac's descriptions of the neighborhoods. Of the choices you listed, I'd look to San Souci first.

Grove Park is okay, not great. The newer parts of Sandalwood are okay, but Sandalwood describes a HUGE area and some parts are lousy and some are very nice...mixed bag . I'd skip over Spring Park entirely (not good).

Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
"Any input for me?"

Yes. Don't take what 1 or 2 people say on the internet as true. Including myself. Ask for more than opinions. Most of Jacksonville residents are ill-informed about thier own city. So you'll get horrible opinions like: "Oh, I wouldn't live in Riverside! The crime!" when it's generally just fine.

My favorite neighborhoods are the unique, eclectic, and historic areas of San Marco, Riverside, Avondale, and Springfield. San Marco and Avondale are more "family-friendly" meaning that there's lower crime.

Riverside and Springfield are very family friendly as well, but have a normal crime rate.

This being said, NONE of these areas are "dangerous", or have a serious crime problem. Crime happens in every neighborhood in Jacksonville, included gated communities. Noonw would suggest problematic areas anyways.

Also, if you're on the fence about Riverside, then you won't even consider Murray Hill. It's a just fine, pleasant neighborhood too, but it sounds like your a bit squeemish. Also x 2, these areas don't have many large apartment complexes, b/c they are older, historic areas. So driving around is very important (or Craigs list).

Suggestion:

Ask people at [URL="http://www.metrojacksonville.com"]www.metrojacksonville.com[/URL], as thier posters will be a bit more informed about these areas.

If you'd like any info about these areas, I have a ton, literally. I can give you almost any piece of information you need: stats, photos, lists, directions, resident's info, rental info, etc.

It's not 1 or 2 people on the internet saying things like that. Check out #4 on the link below of most dangerous neighborhoods in America. Regardless of how valid this is, the fact that this part of town would even be considered on this type of list should raise a serious red flag. Honestly, if you're not working near there then there is absolutely no reason to live anywhere near downtown. Avondale and parts of San Marco are nice enough but you'll pay a premium to live in the nice parts of those neighborhoods. You're definitely better off staying in Southside (south of beach blvd and east of Belfort).

[url=http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods/]25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville